Paris Olympic MTB 2024 - ALAN you biscuit!!!

Shebeen

"Paris 2024 and World Triathlon reiterate their priority is the health of the athletes."

Should levels of bacteria remain too high by Wednesday morning, the men's and women's races are likely to be postponed to Friday, the contingency day reserved for the events.

If by Friday the water quality is not good enough, the swim leg will be scrapped and athletes will compete in a duathlon instead.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Colin Pym said:

It’s an English-French thing dating back to Napoleons era…..🫣!

It goes both ways....

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

The French are a passionate people. I'm proud they stood their ground and boo'd instead of just surrendering themselves to the result!

The crowds medal (and yours) is in the post

Edited by SwissVan

18 minutes ago, Ispeed_V said:

"Paris 2024 and World Triathlon reiterate their priority is the health of the athletes."

Should levels of bacteria remain too high by Wednesday morning, the men's and women's races are likely to be postponed to Friday, the contingency day reserved for the events.

If by Friday the water quality is not good enough, the swim leg will be scrapped and athletes will compete in a duathlon instead.

What a FrAnRCE

Surely they could find a reasonably clean stretch of water somewhere in Paris…. the Seine should never have been considered in the first place

Edited by SwissVan

3 hours ago, JJDT said:

From a South African perspective Alan deserves a gold, although the results indicates third but he showed determination. I think this race although 3rd surpasses his most recent win as he had to be in the red for most of the race, try to close the gap, staying on the wheel of the flying Brit and got dropped twice but still managed to get back on the wheels of the two front runners.

Just as he was in a shot to win this race, I believe he does have the ability to win the worlds as he will win this years world cup series.

Determination don't win races. The strongest, quickest man did. In the order of the results, the medals are with the right men.

It happens to often where he goes out flying , only to fade. Alan has a way to go still with his race strategy&/strength. 

Edited by Madone69

32 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

What a FrAnRCE

Surely they could find a reasonably clean stretch of water somewhere in Paris…. the Seine should never have been considered in the first place

The very pretty "Grand Canal" at Versailles is 1 mile long and should be clean(er)....

Edited by Underachiever
spelling

1 hour ago, SwissVan said:

What a FrAnRCE

Probably not, but they had a 1.4 Billion Euro action plan to clean it up over the past few years. The dreaded CSOs -- combined sewer overflows -- got the better of them after heavy rain.

Edited by Anthem24
It's a mtb thread...

15 minutes ago, Madone69 said:

Determination don't win races. The strongest, quickest man did. In the order of the results, the medals are with the right men.

It happens to often where he goes out flying , only to fade. Alan has a way to go still with his race strategy&/strength. 

Very true, but yesterday he had an awesome race managing his effort, etc. 

Consider the really deep field, he was stunning.. 

15 minutes ago, Madone69 said:

agreed, no complaints on the colour of the medals.

I don't think you give Alan enough credit though, I thought he played it incredibly well. He got an incredible start, and led during lap 1, then was happy to sit back in 4-7th, but right on the lead.

He jumped when Nino was flagging (and he truly bombed), and then stayed in no-man's land for ages once in second place. He could have surged ahead to VK, and possibly blown. When TP came past, he stuck with him. When the final lap surges happened he reeled them back, staying in the game. 

I don't know what he could have done better, maybe stuck with the front 2 in the final lap and taken advantage of the VK mistake, but I think he was revving pretty high already. He looked on his limit way earlier than normal but kept in the game all the way. he has dropped the habit of fading in the final lap or two, and the results show it in the past 2 seasons.

https://www.xcodata.com/rider/alan-hatherly/ 

38 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

What a FrAnRCE

talk of excrement water here. this are the mtb thread

58 minutes ago, Madone69 said:

Agreed he only did enough to finish 3rd. That was probably the best 3rd place he'll ever get based on the high quality of field/race. He rode a super race and any other day, this effort could have won the race.

Im no world tour coach but Alan has long gotten over that brief go-till-blow strategy. Being the current overrall WC leader im curious as how much he still has to do with this strategy and prove he is the real deal?

28 minutes ago, babse said:

Agreed he only did enough to finish 3rd. That was probably the best 3rd place he'll ever get based on the high quality of field/race. He rode a super race and any other day, this effort could have won the race.

Im no world tour coach but Alan has long gotten over that brief go-till-blow strategy. Being the current overrall WC leader im curious as how much he still has to do with this strategy and prove he is the real deal?

People not happy till we have a GOAT. 
I’ll return to the conversation in 4 years time after the LA Olympic Games. For now Alan has down far better than any other South African mountain biker. U23 world champ, first XCC World Cup overall winner, Olympic bronze medalist. Not even Cadel achieved an Olympic podium. 

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

People not happy till we have a GOAT. 
I’ll return to the conversation in 4 years time after the LA Olympic Games. For now Alan has down far better than any other South African mountain biker. U23 world champ, first XCC World Cup overall winner, Olympic bronze medalist. Not even Cadel achieved an Olympic podium. 

The same way people are so quick to damn the Springboks after losing a test to Ireland or the Proteas after losing to the Indian Juggernaut in the world T20 final.... 

It's not enough to do well, it's only good enough if you win

SA people seem to have this idea that our athletes are somehow the best in the world and 'should' win without accepting that they are often beaten by better athletes or teams or better performances/strategies on the day.

I think his bronze was better than 'expected' and more along the lines of what dreams were made of at this stage. Super stoked for him and his team 

Men’s XCO:

Tom’s mechanic was not quite ready when he arrived. Dropping at least 40 seconds with a tech stop, maintaining composure and clawing his way back to a last lap duel and eventual gold medal - simply remarkable.

No Swiss on the podium in about 20 years. Apparently the first so-called non-European medal in mountainbiking or something like that.

Women’s XCO:

Aero booties and overshoes for the French legend. She regularly attacks early and, yet again, no one could haul her in. Now she wraps up her mountain biking career and, tearfully, turns her pathway to road racing in 2025. Anna vd Breggen is also returning and should make for even more exciting WWT. 
Candice, as always, gracious and courageous. Her horizon for the sport is looking very promising as she continues to race well. What might have been…

Jenny Rissveds - classy human being as far as I can see. Another medal after prior Olympic success.
Pic: @UCI_MTB

IMG_8519.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale

3 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

The same way people are so quick to damn the Springboks after losing a test to Ireland or the Proteas after losing to the Indian Juggernaut in the world T20 final.... 

It's not enough to do well, it's only good enough if you win

SA people seem to have this idea that our athletes are somehow the best in the world and 'should' win without accepting that they are often beaten by better athletes or teams or better performances/strategies on the day.

I think his bronze was better than 'expected' and more along the lines of what dreams were made of at this stage. Super stoked for him and his team 

Exactly. even though not all the teams are full (ie. swiss can only take 2 riders) he left it all out there and probably wasn't going to win a 3up sprint if it came to that. there's no shoulda coulda woulda for me, the guys ahead of him were bettter.

I think he was only about 6th or 7th favourite on the betting (TP was strong fav). I figured he was better than that so put some money down.

image.png.1f5222a4b7532256f78d4fb11eba9771.png