Trek launch Checkmate SLR gravel race bike

News bot

In addition to the updated Checkpoint SL which launches today, Trek are expanding their gravel line up to include a gravel race-specific bike, the Checkmate SLR. Checkmate SLR is their first ever dedicated gravel race bike and fastest and lightest gravel bike yet. It shares DNA with the new Madone Gen 8, and is designed with the same new Full System Foil aero shapes and Aero RSL integrated Bar/Stem as seen on the Madone. Given the meteoric rise in popularity of gravel racing both locally and globally, and the growing demand for gravel bikes reflected in our Quarterly Review, we […]

View full article

All I took from this is that my 8,9kg gravel bike with cheap wheels, alu bits, double sealant volume and heavy pedals is actually pretty competitive weight wise (always felt heavy after my road bike). Quick calc on swapping cassette (XT > XTR), lighter pedals, bar, seatpost, saddle, and 200g saving on the rims and it'll be under 8kg. Woot. Thanks for making me think about something like this Trek.

12 hours ago, Simon123 said:

All I took from this is that my 8,9kg gravel bike with cheap wheels, alu bits, double sealant volume and heavy pedals is actually pretty competitive weight wise (always felt heavy after my road bike). Quick calc on swapping cassette (XT > XTR), lighter pedals, bar, seatpost, saddle, and 200g saving on the rims and it'll be under 8kg. Woot. Thanks for making me think about something like this Trek.

its a gravel bike, does weight really matter ? Your average gravel biker will be adding 23 storage bags, be wearing a flannel shirt flapping in the wind  and be stopping to pick up some conditioner for his beard and man bun before heading to the local coffee shop.

54 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

its a gravel bike, does weight really matter ? Your average gravel biker will be adding 23 storage bags, be wearing a flannel shirt flapping in the wind  and be stopping to pick up some conditioner for his beard and man bun before heading to the local coffee shop.

No bags, no beard, no flannel shirt, no male to male massages post ride, no coffee stops (tea for the win) and no tattoos.   It's actually hectic they even let me buy a gravel bike.

1 minute ago, Simon123 said:

No bags, no beard, no flannel shirt, no male to male massages post ride, no coffee stops (tea for the win) and no tattoos.   It's actually hectic they even let me buy a gravel bike.

you must have taken Seth with you to buy it then, he fits the mould :) 

2 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

you must have taken Seth with you to buy it then, he fits the mould :) 

Hahaha, Seth is literally the REASON I have this bike.   He wore me down after he got his one.🤣

14 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Gotta love these obscenely expensive bikes. Keep em coming Trek/Spesh/?? I'm sure we can break 300k for a road bike real soon.

Am I the only armgat that look at these beautiful bikes and see the eye watering price and thinking what I can buy with that amount of money. 

Yesterday we had a meeting between Stellenbosch and Summerset, had some time so we popped into Specialized and BMW. For the price of a mid tier Spaz you had quite a few new bikes to choose from and for the top tier Spaz you could nearly buy a top tier BMW 1000rr that looks like a GP bike.

How do bicycle manufacturers justify those prices and don't come with R&D as there's plenty that goes into the bikes as well. 

I wonder how many of these will sell.. you can buy two 10R cruz or diverge for the price of this bike (or even better, one of each). Even the S-works with all the bells and whistles are 20-30k cheaper... and they are expensive bikes already.

And for that price you can only run 45c tyres... 

1 minute ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Yesterday we had a meeting between Stellenbosch and Summerset, had some time so we popped into Specialized and BMW. For the price of a mid tier Spaz you had quite a few new bikes to choose from and for the top tier Spaz you could nearly buy a top tier BMW 1000rr that looks like a GP bike.

When I see a BMW I think about how many bikes I could buy with that money

I drive cheap cars and ride expensive bikes 😅

Edited by Jbr

30 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Gotta love these obscenely expensive bikes. Keep em coming Trek/Spesh/?? I'm sure we can break 300k for a road bike real soon.

We're there already

image.png.9372d92a74d25c7c6273f8b4475c556b.png

image.png

Edited by splat

Just now, Jbr said:

When I see a BMW I think about how many bikes I could buy with that money

One Spaz maybe if you don't splurge out on spec. 

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

that bora one is a 50k paintjob 🤣

and sold out

1 hour ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Am I the only armgat that look at these beautiful bikes and see the eye watering price and thinking what I can buy with that amount of money.

I've gotten to the point where my brain just goes "nevermind, next!" when it sees the high prices.
No point in getting excited about it if I can't see myself ever spending that much money on the particular area. R200k+ bike, or car that costs more than my house? Not even interested in reading/watching the review. R150mil mansion in Camps Bay? No, clickbait headline, it is in fact not something that I MUST SEE.
The good condition used Scalpels or Cyphers in the classifieds for less that R40k? Far more interesting