2025 Absa Cape Epic Route Announced

News bot

We adore the hype and speculation around the the ‘Tour de France of mountain biking’, and the route launch inevitably becomes an ‘office’ talking point. Without further ado, here’s the press release detailing the full route for the 2025 Absa Cape Epic: Winelands Welcomes Fan Friendly 2025 Absa Cape Epic Route    Brand new stages, a new host venue, and over 300 kilometres of trails never before used by the Absa Cape Epic should be music to the ears of mountain bikers and fans as they prepare for the 2025 Untamed African Mountain Bike Race. That is not where the excitement […]

View full article

8 hours ago, babse said:

Back end looks painful... That queen stage tho 🔥💥

Thank blerri goodness the "Champs Elysees of mountain biking" no more 

Did they get booted out of the valley of life(styles)

Interesting route I think. I like the fact that they’ve essentially concentrated the race on 3 trail networks. So i think, depending on positioning it could be one of the most fun epic’s we’ve ever had given the amount of singletrack on the route. I think it’s been a while since we’ve actually had this much. 

However this could also be a negative because now more skill comes into play and if you’re stuck behind slower descenders it could become a bit frustrating. I do prefer this style more than just riding jeep, farm and wagon trails for majority of the route. This is a fun route. Loads of climbing but that’s expected i think.

That flattish TT is going to be interesting to watch in the Pro race. For amateurs, it looks like an easy day out

Edited by Rudi Pollard

28 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Interesting route I think. I like the fact that they’ve essentially concentrated the race on 3 trail networks. So i think, depending on positioning it could be one of the most fun epic’s we’ve ever had given the amount of singletrack on the route. I think it’s been a while since we’ve actually had this much. 

However this could also be a negative because now more skill comes into play and if you’re stuck behind slower descenders it could become a bit frustrating. I do prefer this style more than just riding jeep, farm and wagon trails for majority of the route. This is a fun route. Loads of climbing but that’s expected i think.

How's the heat in Paarl around that time of year?

4 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

How's the heat in Paarl around that time of year?

Feb is normally the hottest month of the year I think. March will still be boiling though so definitely in the 30’s. The tygerberg trails are pretty open as well. Not really much in terms of trees/forests to shelter you so it’ll be hot AF.

11 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Feb is normally the hottest month of the year I think. March will still be boiling though so definitely in the 30’s. The tygerberg trails are pretty open as well. Not really much in terms of trees/forests to shelter you so it’ll be hot AF.

If anything like Wellington and Saronsburg this year, my sack and crack are already moistening up! 

What's up with the "urban edition" stuff. Are they trying to cut costs on logistics and trail building? Looks tough enough for sure, but this route is even further from the original CE point to point event. 

24 minutes ago, Headshot said:

What's up with the "urban edition" stuff. Are they trying to cut costs on logistics and trail building? Looks tough enough for sure, but this route is even further from the original CE point to point event. 

closer to hospitals to attend to the dehydrated and Paarl sun dried...

Sunblock companies are going to make a fortune between March 15 and 23rd

and I suspect they've run out of ideas to keep it exciting and new.

Might reduce the number of tents required as many out of towners can book accommodation and stay in that place for the entire week

Edited by DieselnDust

35 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I am no expert on the previous routes or events, but how about a CE a bit more up north?  West Coast / Ceder Berg orientated?

42 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Indeed, the entire thing is in the 021 dialing code area, Might as well get Gordo HL on board and rename it the Absa Cape Town Epic. I'm sure if you've come from a land faraway it might not seem that different, but expect the race villages to be rather empty. The DIY VIP option is achievable, book a nice guesthouse in Brackenfell (or anywhere on the tong side of the worsgordyn) and rent a car/uber between stage moves. 

Plenty of people might even sleep at home half the week, the most untamed part of that experience will be getting your bibs off the washing line. I can see some locals being very disappointed, as well as the boland dorpies who all miss out this time.

I don't quite get the HOT aspect of this, it's always hot in the boland, the durbanville vibe is not as bad.

Edited by Shebeen

I think I'd be rather disappointed if I had booked from afar based on my buddies accounts of previous Epic routes around the WC.