The ARGUS 2025 Thread (AKA CTCT)

Shebeen

3 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Those were the days hey !

Our 1st Argus we were late with the entries and had to use courier - Remember phoning everyday to check they recieved them - We started in the last batch at about 10:30 - Pros and Vets had already finished and drinking beer.

We drove down in a combi - Was a 5 day excursion there and back. had loads of tools and spares, bottles, pumps, tjoobs, energy bars, bananas - the list was endless

We were always in awe of our mates who were seasoned vets riding in Vets A bunch

Fly down Sat morning check into hotel - quick coffee ride to top of Suikerbossie and back to Camps bay for a long lunch.

Only thing they took other than their bikes and kit was 2 bottles and a spare tjoob. 

Sunday race day - finish in A bunch with a sub 3 - shower and off to Camps Bay bowling club (old finish) for more beer 

On the 6pm flight back to Jo'burg - back in the office on Monday morning as if nothing had happened over the weekend.

By the 3rd Argus we were doing the same

we used to clean and lube the bikes with minor tune ups the friday before, also carried tool boxes with spares and tools (I still carry a basics tool box when we drive down).

The first couple of years it was a massive accomplishment just finishing the race, forget about great times. Anyone doing under 4 hours was a racing snake.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

we used to clean and lube the bikes with minor tune ups the friday before, also carried tool boxes with spares and tools (I still carry a basics tool box when we drive down).

The first couple of years it was a massive accomplishment just finishing the race, forget about great times. Anyone doing under 4 hours was a racing snake.

I can clearly remember those days. The trip down (before I semi grated to Cape Town) was almost more exciting than the race itself.Lots of planning went into it. And then there was the years we came down with the Shosholoza Meyl train. Man, what a blast that was. Not a worry in the world, got to CPT well rested and "carbo-loaded". But then the decline happened, and we missed the Expo completely because the train was late to CPT. Luckily, they collected our race packs and numbers for us (when the race pack was still something to look forward to)

"Anyone doing under 4 hours was a racing snake." If this is the case, I must have been a racing snake back then. Did my first Argus, the detour over OKW, in about 3:42.  My slowest was 4:33 on my Hardtail in '21. Also decided after that, never again......

The best part was going back to Glen country club after the finish and shower had to park on Lower Kloof road near the high school and walk over Vic road

Those parties turned Raukus by 6pm - thank god cell phone cameras werent around then and we had a rule that "what went on tour stayed on tour"

I wish they would bring back the Kiddies tour on the Saturday I think it was? for those bringing young ones with for the week it gave them something to look forward to as well. I think that died with Covid along with the MTB race, which I am sure would be a cool reinclusion.

7 minutes ago, Jase619 said:

I wish they would bring back the Kiddies tour on the Saturday I think it was? for those bringing young ones with for the week it gave them something to look forward to as well. I think that died with Covid along with the MTB race, which I am sure would be a cool reinclusion.

That would be cool if they brought it back, would give more of a reason to go down with the kiddos. My youngest would be super keen.

2 hours ago, peepeekaitjie said:

were you riding a penny farthing with a top hat and a monocle back then?

😁 - No but def flats with toe clips and tekkies. Cleats were for the Pro's only if you could afford them

4 hours ago, Jase619 said:

Look how Durbie Dash an 99er are embracing a wider clientele ....

Missed opportunities.

And more importantly ... missing the opportunity at roping the kids in for life ....

Heck, I might even do a 30km MTB on Saturday and then CTCT on Sunday ...