Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Maybe he buried him in his garden or something ;)

I told him that too haha. Look..they guy that got me was also ‘convinced’ not to do it again…so they know the game. They just want their mugshots so they know who to look for

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Forwarded this to Adrian from green platoon security. He says he has seen the post but is looking for the contact info of the cyclist. They cant find the suspect with saps(if he was handed over lol) 

hes one of the guys patrolling the area snd the guy that helped me back then. Ill pm you his details if you feel like putting them in touch.

Can't be that hard to find / spot him .... he is the guy with a fresh cleat tattoo on his neck

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

Maybe he buried him in his garden or something ;)

I hope this really happened

27 minutes ago, Andreas_187 said:

I just noticed he did this in road cleats, even more kudos to that man

just imagine the ridicule he would get when he goes back to his thieving buddies and tells them he was over powered by a man in tights

• 3 weeks later...

Got bikejacked yesterday coming from Cape Town on the N1 taking the Marine Drive (R27) slipway . 4 Guys came running towards me one with a knife . I had time to unclip and dropped the bike and ran back into traffic stopping cars . As people stopped they ran away and left the bike. This happened 1130 on a busy road with traffic. Lucky no injuries and got the bike back after they took it.

I only saw this thread now.

I was hit by a car from behind while cycling on 6 Jan ‘22. This happened right in front of Willowbridge, Bellville at 5:05.

No place is safe

6 hours ago, Titleist said:

No place is safe

Loads of cycle paths, and wide almost-no-pedestrians pavements, in my area on the way to the trails, and still a taxi driver succeeded in decking me on a cycle path a few months ago.  He was still counting his wad of cash when he got out from behind the wheel.

image.jpeg.67cac9e775140b90cda7a3f771ad3429.jpeg

Got enough of his cash to replace the rim and a few spokes and the phone screen, medaid took care of the rest.  ON AN EFFING DEDICATED CYCLE PATH!

Edited by justinafrika

12 hours ago, roodie said:

Got bikejacked yesterday coming from Cape Town on the N1 taking the Marine Drive (R27) slipway . 4 Guys came running towards me one with a knife . I had time to unclip and dropped the bike and ran back into traffic stopping cars . As people stopped they ran away and left the bike. This happened 1130 on a busy road with traffic. Lucky no injuries and got the bike back after they took it.

Damn I ride there 3 times a week 🥺🥺

There is Duncan road , security controlled between Paarden Island and the Waterfront. I understand people have tried the Port AUth to use this  but its just a road with security access that can be managed with a Membership. All people that want to use it to cycle to Cape Town can be a member and use the road. The sail club uses this road why not for cycling ? It solves the security issue between Paarden Island and Cape Town and is secure with entry , exit points . Via PPA or DA or kfc BUT IT must be possible 

1 hour ago, roodie said:

There is Duncan road , security controlled between Paarden Island and the Waterfront. I understand people have tried the Port AUth to use this  but its just a road with security access that can be managed with a Membership. All people that want to use it to cycle to Cape Town can be a member and use the road. The sail club uses this road why not for cycling ? It solves the security issue between Paarden Island and Cape Town and is secure with entry , exit points . Via PPA or DA or kfc BUT IT must be possible 

There are people here who have access to that road that have explained the requirements/difficulties for someone on a bicycle. Its allowed if you have access yes, but frowned upon.  Something about it being a port and container trucks etc not being safe for knucklehead, entitled cyclists lol. you have to be registered for conducting business in there to get access if I recall. Some people have lied at the gate and said they were waiters at the restaurant or something. At the end of the day the port authority has no obligation towards the safety of cyclists abd probably wouldn't take on the responsibility or hassle even if asked nicely. 

Just ride.

Be alert, be aware, but continue riding the same roads. 100s of cyclists use the same roads daily.  You have just as much chance getting hijacked driving to your cycling destination. 

12 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Just ride.

Be alert, be aware, but continue riding the same roads. 100s of cyclists use the same roads daily.  You have just as much chance getting hijacked driving to your cycling destination. 

I get this but Its difficult. I ges my PTSD or just plain new awareness means I have not ridden past my hijack spot since it happened in 2020. It has opened my eyes to how exposed i was, not to mention how dumb. part of being safe in SA anywhere is being street smart. You cant be a ignorant ‘tourist’ here. People say it alot but Africa is not a place for being a ‘gazelle’. The ‘predators WILL get you at some stage…its a numbers game. It was my second time. I have a kid now and im not willing to see if they decide to use the knife the third time. 
 I used to ride that 60km route 2 or 3 times a weekend for years. Sometimes in the dark.

I felt safe since it is used by 100’s of cyclist over a weekend…and i im from GP too so im mos tough you know lol. I mean minutes after it happened a group of cyclists stopped…and had i left 2 min later at home the guy right behind me would have been the victim i guess.

Its not that simple anymore. You have to consider the possibilities and the possible consequences and readjust your strategies/routines etc. It is what it is here. Some call it being negative but its just being realistic and common sense imo.