Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

On Saturday morning around 6am two friends of mine was attacked coming from Tiekiedraai towards Burgundy on the way to Plattekloof circle. As they got to Richwood two guys with tire irons approached them from the front, one friend fell turning around and they hit him on the helmet wanting his phone. Luckily a car with 6 petrol attendants stopped and chased them away and my friends were not harmed and nothing was stolen. 

Be careful around that whole area if not riding in a big group.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MTBeer said:

Sheesh! Where did this happen?

I'm not sure exactly. If I find out I'll post it on here.

On 8/2/2022 at 11:55 AM, MongooseMan said:

It appears you now need to watch out for booby traps from disgruntled Hout Bay residents if you use Empire Road to get to Chappies. (This is not me, just posting what I saw on Strava)

image.png.7592fa5297582045914cc38a9f0c8777.pngimage.png.cdb2cd076959428d9e421374bbcac2d7.pngimage.png.f76b3ad95a840cc72781576c1995b52d.png

image.png.55ff993a179a6d486d331e94b4664006.png

If only there was a tech that allows for tiny holes to seal from the inside ;)

Not surprising though, everytime I take this road it's the same thing, I have to overtake on the opposite lane of the road because cyclists are all over the place in this street.

On 8/15/2022 at 11:50 AM, Bonus said:

He wasn't cycling but.......

We have a 21 yr old nephew who is studying/work experiencing in Cape Town at the moment. He's a well bought up, polite and considerate young man who would never hurt anyone.  He was attacked walking to work early the other morning. They sliced through his chest, lung, diaphragm and spleen - cutting him from his upper chest down to his lower stomach. Stole his almost empty wallet and left him for dead. He managed to crawl for help. Someone found him and he was rushed to hospital. They removed his spleen but managed to save his lung and repair his diaphragm. yesterday he came off of his morphine drip and hopefully in a few days he'll be able to leave hospital and go home for a long period of rest and recovery.

Any feedback on where this happened?

Just a general word of caution. 

Don't cycle alone in the area of the Barrel Pub on the Tiekiedraai road (Burgundy Estate area) There has been a few incidents in this area lately, with another one this weekend where 3 x perps attacked a lone cyclist with knifes and sjamboks. 

Luckily passing motorists saw what happened and came to his rescue.

The previous incident (the previous weekend I think) the cyclist was saved by a carload of Petrol Attendants on their way to work. 

22 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Don't cycle alone in the area of the Barrel Pub on the Tiekiedraai road (Burgundy Estate area) There has been a few incidents in this area lately, with another one this weekend where 3 x perps attacked a lone cyclist with knifes and sjamboks. 

The previous incident (the previous weekend I think) the cyclist was saved by a carload of Petrol Attendants on their way to work. 

this is a real bad spot with many incidents reported over the last few months 

1 hour ago, Wannabe said:

You won't believe how many cyclists still think "it won't happen to me" on that particular stretch. EVERY TIME I drive past there I see cyclists riding in the vicinity, and more often than not they're alone.

For example, where I live a lady was mugged by 4 knife wielding assholes last week. Now, that is infuriating, and sure, she's okay at least physically, but taking your dog for a walk in a secluded area by bushes that shield you from view from the street, in an area known for an uptick in criminality, is also just stupid.

People must wake up and realise we are living in a world of increasing violence and desperation due to the sky-high jobless problem in SA and a government who is more intent on stealing than helping those in need.

As bad as it is to be the victim of crime, there is ZERO POINT in tempting the inevitable. In the last two months, I've seen 2 dead people lying on the sidewalk on the road that turns in to Dunoon. The one had his head smashed in with a brick, and the other was driven over by a taxi while standing on the sidewalk. That place brews evil and it is expanding the circle ever wider.

here's a birds eye view of how close that area is to the place you're never likely to find your belongings again. 

image.png.95eac70c706f49687951c43f78d042ec.png

I bloody hate this thread so much, but need to give a general warning to people riding on Table Mountain. Did a night ride with five other guys up to Blockhouse from southern side on Wed. The weather wasnt great and the wind was pumping. On the way home you come around the corner after the Three Kwaggas segment and pass through a tunnel of trees straight up from Rhodes Mem down to the left. Its the darkest spot on the route and the perfect spot for an ambush. Three guys were loitering in plain sight, clearly waiting for an unsuspecting victim. They started approaching our lead rider (he was about 50m in front), but realised they were outnumbered when the rest of us came around the corner. They turned and walked away and acted as if they were just chilling there. One guy even put his earphones on. Could not see if they had any weapons with them. 

On 8/22/2022 at 7:06 AM, meloncholy01 said:

Any feedback on where this happened?

He was completing the practical part of a course to work on yachts apparently and was near a marina. More than that I don't know. 

Somebody was run over in Kalkbay about 2 days ago.Sounds like it could have been a cyclist .A truck was involved and it was late afternoon.Anybody know .City should reduce speedlimit to 30kmh and cyclists should ride in middle of the lane

2 hours ago, Bernard Horn said:

Somebody was run over in Kalkbay about 2 days ago.Sounds like it could have been a cyclist .A truck was involved and it was late afternoon.Anybody know .City should reduce speedlimit to 30kmh and cyclists should ride in middle of the lane

Yep, unfortunately it's true. Happened on Wednesday evening on Main Road in Kalk Bay. Cyclist run over by Pick n Pay truck. Rider clipped a pedal and fell over into the road as truck was passing by. Tragic incident.

15 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Any muggings along Bottelary road ?

Sadly, yes.

There was an incident a week or so ago where a small group got attacked by a few perps who blocked them of with a car, and jumped out with a firearm and knifes.

Read this on a whatsapp chat group, not 100% sure of all the details.

4 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Sadly, yes.

There was an incident a week or so ago where a small group got attacked by a few perps who blocked them of with a car, and jumped out with a firearm and knifes.

Read this on a whatsapp chat group, not 100% sure of all the details.

I heard about the WA message .... the lack of information has me wondering about this ...

Actually, HOPING my favorite ride-alone road is still safe.

All we can do is try to avoid the loieterer hotspots .... the perps in vehicles is a sad reality that can pop up anywhere.