Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

Sorry, but where? I was a member last year (admittedly only for the discounts on entries)  and other than the odd spam email…i agree with the above post that they don't do much of anything really. I once got a pm from someone high up because of some criticism on here, engaged…and even that never went further than my reply lol. Not that they have to i guess….but own it then. Empty promises are for politics.

edit: compare their usual (non discounted post covid fee) to what a Jonkers or TMC or Winelands or Tokai membership costs for instance then what that fee gets you for you rands. PPA membership basically gets you early CTCt entry by 7 days…arguably unethical better seeding and some empty promises….ok and discount on funrides that happen on the same route 4 times a year I guess. The question you always have to ask is that if they went away tomorrow…would anyone care or really notice?

I get that PPA is the convenient scapegoat when we need something to lash out at. Maybe we are getting what we paid for, we want PPA to solve all road safety issues on our behalf and throw in a CTCT discount for 200 bucks a year? 

In my personal experience I know they provided a lot of support to a cyclist friend that was robbed & assaulted on his bike a few years back when he made the effort to reach out to them, far more than what our useless police did at the time.

If you have constructive suggestions maybe reach out and chat to them, think you will achieve far more than ranting about them on social media.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Skubarra said:

If you have constructive suggestions

Maybe go and do something about it instead of just whinging. We all have lives and commitments and no time left but maybe, just maybe if we all stop complaining and use that energy to do one small constructive thing, a small difference can be made

Reply meant for the long dude. Quoted the wrong message 

Edited by peepeekaitjie

FWIW, the buggers had a go at me yesterday afternoon.  I've been using the cycle path on and off since 2013 and never seen any threatening behaviour.  Yesterday was different though.  I got on the path at the Lower Church street bridge, and after I had passed underneath the bridge I saw two persons crossing the bus road about 100 m ahead of me.  Their body language was totally different from the normal residents and pedestrians you find in that area, so I moved over to the bus road.  As I got closer they turned around and started approaching me.  One was carrying a hammer, so I executed a 180 degree turn and retreated to the bus station.  I hadn't realised that the bus station had been totally trashed and closed, but managed to manhandle the bike onto a bus from the curb.  The MyCity employee there was very helpful.    

So what to do now?  The risk in that area has obviously increased recently, judging by reports on this forum.  Does anybody have a contact for a person dealing with cycling infrastructure at the City?

Charles

58 minutes ago, CapSizer said:

So what to do now?   

You should mail PPA. Give them as much info as possible and maybe they can help put some pressure on the city. Also try and mail the relevant ward councillors   

I have reported the incident to transport.info@capetown.gov.za and received a phone call from them within an hour.  May I suggest that those of you who have recently had similar experiences also write to that address in order to try and get it higher up in their list of priorities?  The feedback that I received is that they are doing some patrols, but they have limited resources, and it would help to report the matter to the SAPS.  

I think we all know that the problem is not going to go away and that we really need a more viable route.  The City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Urban Mobility is Councillor Rob Quintas.  I would like to go to him with constructive proposals.  Does anybody here have knowledge of any similar efforts in the past?  

5 minutes ago, CapSizer said:

I have reported the incident to transport.info@capetown.gov.za and received a phone call from them within an hour.  May I suggest that those of you who have recently had similar experiences also write to that address in order to try and get it higher up in their list of priorities?  The feedback that I received is that they are doing some patrols, but they have limited resources, and it would help to report the matter to the SAPS.  

I think we all know that the problem is not going to go away and that we really need a more viable route.  The City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Urban Mobility is Councillor Rob Quintas.  I would like to go to him with constructive proposals.  Does anybody here have knowledge of any similar efforts in the past?  

Would be fantastic if cyclists were allowed through the harbour… I would freaking pay a membership to be able to go to town safely, really

5 hours ago, CapSizer said:

FWIW, the buggers had a go at me yesterday afternoon.  I've been using the cycle path on and off since 2013 and never seen any threatening behaviour.  Yesterday was different though.  I got on the path at the Lower Church street bridge, and after I had passed underneath the bridge I saw two persons crossing the bus road about 100 m ahead of me.  Their body language was totally different from the normal residents and pedestrians you find in that area, so I moved over to the bus road.  As I got closer they turned around and started approaching me.  One was carrying a hammer, so I executed a 180 degree turn and retreated to the bus station.  I hadn't realised that the bus station had been totally trashed and closed, but managed to manhandle the bike onto a bus from the curb.  The MyCity employee there was very helpful.    

So what to do now?  The risk in that area has obviously increased recently, judging by reports on this forum.  Does anybody have a contact for a person dealing with cycling infrastructure at the City?

Charles

This is utter BS 😡

On 10/6/2022 at 10:32 AM, The Commuter said:

Was accosted by 3 kids, one with a rather menace looking blade, Tuesday morning on the bike path just after the Woodstock bridge, coming from city side.  Stopped and k@ked them out.  This was stupid, I know, but **** this.

The kids, probably bored (school holiday), just walking around causing ****.

There is always police, so stopped and told them, and they did immediately went after them.  Did not followed this up further, but the one cop said; "why are you guys cycling here, it is very dangerous".  WTF dude, this is the cycle lane, built for that purpose? "Facepalm"

I also shot of a tweet off to our City of Cape Town and Alan about the lack of maintenance and them not keeping the cycle lane safe.  Silence, complete and total silence.  They feel a ****, or I guess just have to much other **** to deal with. 

I am getting a weapon, and next time will shoot the little *******.  It will be non lethal (but moerse eina), but it will give me plenty of satisfaction.  

My next tweet to The City and Alan, will be that I am now armed (will not say non lethal), and war is about to break out on the bike path.  See if that gets reaction...

Nowhere is safe now. After riding tokai, before I even got to the end of the road, some little sh*t who can't have been more than 9 tried to stab me for no reason whatsoever. If he did not have a knife, I would have gotten off and taught him the lesson no-one else has YET. 

I get scared riding on my own on the roads because you don't know who to trust. I am saying this from experience sadly. Cycling early or late in the day is a cock-up and too dangerous nowadays. I would rather have my life than an early morning ride.

22 hours ago, peepeekaitjie said:

Maybe go and do something about it instead of just whinging. We all have lives and commitments and no time left but maybe, just maybe if we all stop complaining and use that energy to do one small constructive thing, a small difference can be made

Reply meant for the long dude. Quoted the wrong message 

I assume this was directed at me? So ill partake. 
im not whinging. Whinging about what? You are not unique in your experience. 

I myself have been relieved of my bicycle with a weapon before. Also mugged by weapon not far from your experience.

Not almost….

Went through the trouble to do it right, reported it etc. Nothing happened. Stripped my PTSD moer,  spent my own money to track the f@ckers down, handed them over to the police…just for them to get released due to the usual incompetence. I eventually gave up. At least i got my bike back a d some pk’s were handed out.

For years before that while still on twitter we gave CoCT **** over the cycle lanes via @Hairy’s cycle path account. He eventually got blocked by probably a complaint by the city  because they looked bad lol. Yes…Twitter shut that down because someone there reported it as ‘abuse’.  Not sure if it is still the case. 

There is nothing constructive left to do. Just more empty promises by pseodo leaders…wether that be the DA or PPA lol. We should burn **** like our countrymen….But that is frowned upon.

So In that sense i have probably done more than what you so quickly assumed with your post? What have you done since your incident other than posting here? Did you at least report it to the police yet?

i lived in that area for 6 years until recently…took part in community patrols and neighbourhood watches. Was home when the THAT gang boss was shot infront of his house down my street. There is a way things work there. The community takes care of their own..even if you were the token whitey like i was, and there is/was a way of dealing with skollies…

the PPA is Jon Snow…

they know, or prefer to know nothing.

Edited by MORNE

28 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I assume this was directed at me? So ill partake. 
im not whinging. Whinging about what? You are not unique in your experience. 

I myself have been relieved of my bicycle with a weapon before. Also mugged by weapon not far from your experience.

Not almost….

Went through the trouble to do it right, reported it etc. Nothing happened. Stripped my PTSD moer,  spent my own money to track the f@ckers down, handed them over to the police…just for them to get released due to the usual incompetence. I eventually gave up. At least i got my bike back a d some pk’s were handed out.

For years before that while still on twitter we gave CoCT **** over the cycle lanes via @Hairy’s cycle path account. He eventually got blocked by probably a complaint by the city  because they looked bad lol. Yes…Twitter shut that down because someone there reported it as ‘abuse’.  Not sure if it is still the case. 

There is nothing constructive left to do. Just more empty promises by pseodo leaders…wether that be the DA or PPA lol. We should burn **** like our countrymen….But that is frowned upon.

So In that sense i have probably done more than what you so quickly assumed with your post? What have you done since your incident other than posting here? Did you at least report it to the police yet?

i lived in that area for 6 years until recently…took part in community patrols and neighbourhood watches. Was home when the THAT gang boss was shot infront of his house down my street. There is a way things work there. The community takes care of their own..even if you were the token whitey like i was, and there is/was a way of dealing with skollies…

the PPA is Jon Snow…

they know, or prefer to know nothing.

Hey man I wasn't attacking you. I am sorry you have had to deal with so much.

I never said my situation was unique, I am very aware of the almost daily bike thefts and jacking. 

It wasn't meant as doing something as in doing the right thing you are supposed to do and should do. It was more a generalisation that, if we as humans, could be nicer and kinder and help each other when we can can, possibly things can can better.  

Unfortunately, optimism gets you only so far.

Humans = ****

I don't know who jon snow is.

3 minutes ago, peepeekaitjie said:

Hey man I wasn't attacking you. I am sorry you have had to deal with so much.

I never said my situation was unique, I am very aware of the almost daily bike thefts and jacking. 

It wasn't meant as doing something as in doing the right thing you are supposed to do and should do. It was more a generalisation that, if we as humans, could be nicer and kinder and help each other when we can can, possibly things can can better.  

Unfortunately, optimism gets you only so far.

Humans = ****

I don't know who jon snow is.

Sorry if i misinterpreted. 

Re jon snow: hehe

‘You Know Nothing, Jon Snow" is a memorable quote attributed to the Wildling character Ygritte from George R. R. Martin's epic fantasy novel series A Song of Ice and Fire.’

it gained traction as an internet meme to describe someone’s relative ignorance about the workings of the real world. 

😅

2 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

This thread is very deep. 

I HATE this thread.

And all the other ones with different city names in front of them, because every time they pop up in the topics you know something k@k happened to someone and they are now also just a crime stat.