Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

3 hours ago, DJR said:

If I look at the road carnage I think there are many who don't even know they are supposed to drive on the left..........leave alone opening a door without looking first🤪

And other cyclists STILL ask me why i ride with lights (F&R) during the day...

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw today tokaimtb on Instagram and Matt Beers riding the mast climb and thanking Tokai mtb association for keeping the climb safe. Has something new come in?

Edited by Conrad Hughes

1 hour ago, Conrad Hughes said:

I saw today tokaimtb on Instagram and Matt Beers riding the mast climb and thanking Tokai mtb association for keeping the climb safe. Has something new come in or am I right to be annoyed by this?

Tokai Mtb works on the mountain every day and their efforts is the reason there was only ONE attack up there in about 3 or 4 years 

52 minutes ago, Conrad Hughes said:

I saw today tokaimtb on Instagram and Matt Beers riding the mast climb and thanking Tokai mtb association for keeping the climb safe. Has something new come in or am I right to be annoyed by this?

?? Don't often go that way, but 18-24 months ago (after a spate of muggings I think) the Tokai Mtb Association vehicle was often stationed above the hotspot area on weekends with someone sitting there with binocs. Very generous with their time, I thought.

With the recent attack this has probably been resumed. I saw the SANParks vehicle heading up that way on Saturday morning. Evidently they were doing a stint too, judging by other comments on SANParks - Table Mountain National Park Facebook page.

52 minutes ago, Anthem24 said:

?? Don't often go that way, but 18-24 months ago (after a spate of muggings I think) the Tokai Mtb Association vehicle was often stationed above the hotspot area on weekends with someone sitting there with binocs. Very generous with their time, I thought.

With the recent attack this has probably been resumed. I saw the SANParks vehicle heading up that way on Saturday morning. Evidently they were doing a stint too, judging by other comments on SANParks - Table Mountain National Park Facebook page.

That’s brilliant news then! I was under the impression nothing had changed. Thanks very much!

On 6/30/2024 at 7:17 PM, Conrad Hughes said:

I saw today tokaimtb on Instagram and Matt Beers riding the mast climb and thanking Tokai mtb association for keeping the climb safe. Has something new come in?

@MikePosthumus and Matt are so fast up there nobody will be able to stop them and do any mugging.

I am so slow up there that I am a sitting duck.

Also no cellphone reception on Vodacom so take your Sat phone...

1 hour ago, lenzman said:

@MikePosthumus and Matt are so fast up there nobody will be able to stop them and do any mugging.

I am so slow up there that I am a sitting duck.

Also no cellphone reception on Vodacom so take your Sat phone...

I'm really annoyed that (having just moved from the UK), the new Apple Watch/iPhone satellite feature just flat out doesn't work here, a country where it would be incredibly useful. As it stands, you're up **** creek if something happens on Silvermine. (Although is there decent signal up at the mast? You'd think so, what with it being a mast and all.)

53 minutes ago, Conrad Hughes said:

You'd think so, what with it being a mast and all.)

Look up umbrella effect of sell signal, signal goes straight over you as you get closer.

I cant use MTN or Telkom at home because the tower is right behind my house, I found out the hard way.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody know anything about the two mountain bikers that got robbed in the Hout Bay area over the weekend. It was in some news bulletins. It was rather vague ???

Edited by porqui

Table Mountain National Park Joint Operations Results in Arrests. 

Cape Town: A joint operation on Table Mountain National Park (TMNP) has resulted in the successful arrest of two suspects. A partnership approach that includes South African Police Service (SAPS), Hout Bay Community Crime Prevention (CCP), volunteers affiliated with TMNP, SANParks' Sea-Air-Mountain Unit and SANParks Rangers, was activated following an incident where two mountain bike cyclists were robbed in the area between Bokkemanskloof and Schoorsteenberg.

This swift collaborative response was initiated from the TMNP Operations Room after an alert by Hout Bay CCP.

The apprehension of the suspects was executed in the Constantiaberg area of Table Mountain National Park, above Hout Bay. Due to the quick reaction from SAPS and volunteers, two suspects matching a description provided by the victims were intercepted in the Hout Bay area. The suspects were found in possession of dangerous weapons and the stolen items. 

The victims were unharmed, and a case has been opened at Hout Bay SAPS by the victims, who were assisted by SANParks rangers.

SANParks expresses its gratitude to all responders for their prompt action and collaborative efforts in apprehending the alleged offenders. This success underscores the valuable role of collaboration with security partners as well as the role of the intel interpretation team of the TMNP Operations Room, which played a critical role in developing this joint operation.

The management of TMNP would like to urge park users to exercise caution while enjoying outdoor activities and to do so in groups. To report any suspicious activities, please contact our emergency number at 086 110 6417.

***Ends***

Issued by: South African National Parks (SANParks)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2024 at 11:10 AM, Conrad Hughes said:

I'm really annoyed that (having just moved from the UK), the new Apple Watch/iPhone satellite feature just flat out doesn't work here, a country where it would be incredibly useful. As it stands, you're up **** creek if something happens on Silvermine. (Although is there decent signal up at the mast? You'd think so, what with it being a mast and all.)

Were you promised coverage? 

We're at the ass end of Africa. A lot of satellite networks connected us last, it's just pure economics. Saw the same with inmarsat, spot, inreach.

29 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

We're at the ass end of Africa. A lot of satellite networks connected us last, it's just pure economics. Saw the same with inmarsat, spot, inreach.

And with the communications ministry being a total shambles with bribery the order of the day, and even Elon Musk finding it near impossible to trade in the country of his birth, I'm pretty much not surprised that we don't have these first world features here in SA.

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

If I'm not mistaken they are the same guys that lost Malaysia Flight MH370 back in 2014 ...............................  they will lose SA a lot easier 👻

• 1 month later...

What are the current danger areas? I'm coming back home from November to Jan, and haven't been in any Whatsapp groups, i'm in Durbanville but I cycle all over.

I avoid R304 and Cloetesville (basically only enter Stellies via Polka or over Devonvale since I nearly got mugged @ R304). I also know that circle in Hout Bay is a hotspot by the police station (lol). 

Is Helshoogte safe again? It's my favourite climb and I'd hate to avoid it. 

4 minutes ago, HristoZA said:

What are the current danger areas? I'm coming back home from November to Jan, and haven't been in any Whatsapp groups, i'm in Durbanville but I cycle all over.

I avoid R304 and Cloetesville (basically only enter Stellies via Polka or over Devonvale since I nearly got mugged @ R304). I also know that circle in Hout Bay is a hotspot by the police station (lol). 

Is Helshoogte safe again? It's my favourite climb and I'd hate to avoid it. 

Lots of opportunists out there ... take care everywhere if riding alone.

I imagine it's less of an issue at any of the mentioned spots if in a group.