The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

I might have watched a little to much GCN with my 8 year old daughter.

Over the festive period I went with her for a number of rides around the neighbourhood, everytime we go to pull away from a stop she does the "beep beep beep beeeeeeeeep" sound.

hahaha, love it.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could anyone advise where i would be able to source 24inch presta tubes for my daughters bike. Seems to be scarce in cpt and not keen on drilling the wheel to fit schrader :(

• 4 weeks later...

My youngest, now 8 going on 18 has been expressing interest in doing races with me, yesterday my facebook feed popped up with a fun ride at Midstream Estates. A nice short 8km, a distance she has done before.

Asked her last night if she wanted to do it and she's very excited. So I entered us in.

On 3/22/2024 at 1:25 PM, breaker said:

Could anyone advise where i would be able to source 24inch presta tubes for my daughters bike. Seems to be scarce in cpt and not keen on drilling the wheel to fit schrader :(

bit late, but phone around is probably best bet.

• 2 weeks later...

looks like it's time to go to 24"

Boytjie has thrashed his spez hardrock nicely, it has held up well.

Happy to invest in getting a half decent bike as he will use it well. Happy to go 2nd hand for a decent bike or looking for deals on the new options (where's that spez 50% off sale now?!!).

Are there any actual tubeless options locally available? Would the titan range (for interest sake) be able to tubeless convert these wheel sets, ghetto or bought?

@Titan Racing Bikes

https://titanracingbikes.com/bikes/hades-24-disc-my24/ looks like same wheels and tyres on both this and the team version.

On 12/8/2023 at 10:27 AM, FondTF2 said:

Slightly off topic but found this photo of me (on the left) and my brother (on the right) of us getting ready for a ride with our dad. Circa late 1970's

Good old BSA bikes. Mind the fashion. 

1970's.jpg

Haha we had the same bikes - first thing to come off was the mudgaurds and then high rise handle bars 

6 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

looks like it's time to go to 24"

Boytjie has thrashed his spez hardrock nicely, it has held up well.

Happy to invest in getting a half decent bike as he will use it well. Happy to go 2nd hand for a decent bike or looking for deals on the new options (where's that spez 50% off sale now?!!).

Are there any actual tubeless options locally available? Would the titan range (for interest sake) be able to tubeless convert these wheel sets, ghetto or bought?

@Titan Racing Bikes

https://titanracingbikes.com/bikes/hades-24-disc-my24/ looks like same wheels and tyres on both this and the team version.

Rims on our 24" bikes aren't tubeless, but tubeless kits could work.

2 minutes ago, Titan Racing Bikes said:

Rims on our 24" bikes aren't tubeless, but tubeless kits could work.

I figured as much....so general crowd, anyone doing this?

24 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Not done this myself but LBS this for me on my son’s Titan SE. Works! Send a fellow hubber some valves. Let me know if you need some.

54 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Your biggest challenge is going to get a supplier for 24" tubeless tyres.

Few years back that was not an option in SA, when Maritz was riding 24".

Maybe a call to your LBS, if it is imported they can get it in for you.

ORrrrrr .... Add a set to your next import ... sad that we are "nudged" to do this by the local distributors.

15 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Your biggest challenge is going to get a supplier for 24" tubeless tyres.

Few years back that was not an option in SA, when Maritz was riding 24".

Maybe a call to your LBS, if it is imported they can get it in for you.

ORrrrrr .... Add a set to your next import ... sad that we are "nudged" to do this by the local distributors.

indeed. I have put 16" and 20" schwalbe tyres on the bikes before, thank you bike24.de for being on the ball.

Another shout-out to the Feva seat - managed to get my one-year-old on my gravel bike and it's been my favourite rides ever. He can't get enough and we've done 10km plus rides without him showing signs of tiring.

Not a lot of quiet roads around home though, so it will mostly be a weekend thing for the foreseeable future.

• 1 month later...

Question for the gurus out there.

Got hold of a legend 24" from @Jewbacca, will post pics when all together.

Current gearing is 1x9spd. 38 with 11:34 cassette.

Seem long enough for a sprightly 9yr old in the cape to get up the hills?

(see here, momsen have this 1x9 with 32 +11-40 - )

Edited by Shebeen
added link

On 6/17/2024 at 10:59 AM, Shebeen said:

Question for the gurus out there.

Got hold of a legend 24" from @Jewbacca, will post pics when all together.

Current gearing is 1x9spd. 38 with 11:34 cassette.

Seem long enough for a sprightly 9yr old in the cape to get up the hills?

(see here, momsen have this 1x9 with 32 +11-40 - )

Went with a 34 oval and the 11:34. @Jewbacca sorted the crank shortening and I slapped it all together on a friday night. Required just a single trip to @Woodstock Cycleworks to find the last parts (any excuse though!). Say hello to Shadowfax. He was going to call it Shadowlight, but then I reminded him that his mom sailed to Rio on a boat named after Gandalf's horse and that was that.

20240622_091755.jpg.d099160acf68ac03cfcdf33fe8bc7525.jpg

20240622_112846.jpg.a02c4d1cd85f1e34219c0e0c39006c64.jpg

Have adjusted the settings on all the contact points as much as possible, The jump from a 20" to a 24" seems quite large in this case, but he should grow into this one. Realworld testing to follow.

20240622_112620.jpg.22cbde70165a2695cf6cff4bf2f434c0.jpg

12 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Went with a 34 oval and the 11:34. @Jewbacca sorted the crank shortening and I slapped it all together on a friday night. Required just a single trip to @Woodstock Cycleworks to find the last parts (any excuse though!). Say hello to Shadowfax. He was going to call it Shadowlight, but then I reminded him that his mom sailed to Rio on a boat named after Gandalf's horse and that was that.

20240622_091755.jpg.d099160acf68ac03cfcdf33fe8bc7525.jpg

20240622_112846.jpg.a02c4d1cd85f1e34219c0e0c39006c64.jpg

Have adjusted the settings on all the contact points as much as possible, The jump from a 20" to a 24" seems quite large in this case, but he should grow into this one. Realworld testing to follow.

20240622_112620.jpg.22cbde70165a2695cf6cff4bf2f434c0.jpg

Looks like Big H is getting into Tri Athlon with that sleeveless getup!

A trip to the bikepark with my squirt is an option during these rather long school holidays!

4 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Looks like Big H is getting into Tri Athlon with that sleeveless getup!

A trip to the bikepark with my squirt is an option during these rather long school holidays!

he just needs some secret socks :)