The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 7 year old daughter riding Lebanon Green. She did well in spite of the roots proving too much for the 20" wheels at times. The rain, no problem.

So cute

My boys are really enjoying their road bikes atm

PS it's a very quiet safe road the roadies use, only a couple of farms out there and only tar for 20km before it becomes a dirt road.

post-39623-1428837868,3659.pngpost-39623-1428837953,6817.jpg

Edited by Gen

• 2 weeks later...

Tour d'plain this weekend. I'm considering trying it with a kiddies seat, only 25km, sure we can manage - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tour-dPlain/1509559619297522

Welcome to the official Tour d'Plain website! Over the last few years we have  witnessed how people in Cape Town and the community of Mitchells Plain and Khayelitsha have come together to celebrate social cohesion, contributing towards change by improving their living conditions. We have also witnessed more and more cyclists within these communities which led to the development of cycling lanes throughout Mitchells Plain, creating an impression that we need to contribute more to evolve this latest fascination within these communities.

Blue Angel will host one of the largest community events in Mitchells Plain called the “Tour D’ Plain 2015”, a 25km community cycling event that will attract cycling enthusiasts throughout the Cape flats. This is a Tour and not a cycling race. This event will target young and old which will include all residents, schools, SAPS and cycling clubs from Mitchells Plain, Khayelitsha, Strandfontein and surrounding areas. Strandfontein Pavilion will be the venue, hosting the start and finish of the tour and continue with high impact entertainment with the priority focus being health. The “Tour D’ Plain 2015” will take place on Sunday morning the 26th of April 2015 but the build-up of the event, number collection and registration will start on Saturday the 25th April 2015...Read more

10410353_1553391848247632_90974128849904

Edited by Shebeen

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. Completely new to this thread. My lightie is 11 months old and I want to start taking him on my bike carrier. I got this ( pic attached) from a friend who just gave it to me. Is this the only piece? Or am I missing any support pieces/struts etc?

I assume it just clamps onto the seatpost... post-41779-1432475483,0309.jpgpost-41779-1432475493,995.jpg

Hi all. Completely new to this thread. My lightie is 11 months old and I want to start taking him on my bike carrier. I got this ( pic attached) from a friend who just gave it to me. Is this the only piece? Or am I missing any support pieces/struts etc?

I assume it just clamps onto the seatpost... attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1432475479.771285.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1432475492.437170.jpg

Just checking for some advice?

HI, That is similar to mine, you are correct, it bolts onto the seat post, When my son was around 9 months I bolted it to the front on the head tube, Which only worked on my road bike, I preferred him in front of me, he could also see better and I had no issues steering or pedaling

HI, That is similar to mine, you are correct, it bolts onto the seat post, When my son was around 9 months I bolted it to the front on the head tube, Which only worked on my road bike, I preferred him in front of me, he could also see better and I had no issues steering or pedaling

Definitely better to have the lightie in-front of you, so you can at-least interact - I'm sure he's not keen on staring at your butt :) - check out the Weeride kangaroo carrier -  http://www.weeride.co.za/childrens-balance-bikes/bicycle-child-seat-kangaroo-carrier

Definitely better to have the lightie in-front of you, so you can at-least interact - I'm sure he's not keen on staring at your butt :) - check out the Weeride kangaroo carrier -  http://www.weeride.co.za/childrens-balance-bikes/bicycle-child-seat-kangaroo-carrier

or the Feva star seat. Your 11 month old will be too young for this, but I started riding with my laaitie when he was 18/20 months old. He turned 3yrs old and we're still using it. He knows that he needs to "hou vas!" going down single-track. http://www.fevafoam.co.za/index.php/shop-v

or the Feva star seat. Your 11 month old will be too young for this, but I started riding with my laaitie when he was 18/20 months old. He turned 3yrs old and we're still using it. He knows that he needs to "hou vas!" going down single-track. http://www.fevafoam.co.za/index.php/shop-v

Both my boys love the Feva seat. 3,5 years old and 18 month old...

Both my boys love the Feva seat. 3,5 years old and 18 month old...

Can't wait for the day my daughter is big enough to go for a ride. She's 14 months now, almost there...

Also bought the Feva star seat. 

Nice thing is it can quickly be swapped between or taken off the bike.

My boy is 15 months and just loves it. 

He goes and fetch his helmet and brings it to me when he wants to go for a ride.

I had to start hiding his helmet during the week. 

Edited by IH8MUD

Thanks for the advice.

I am not starting this too young am I? at 11 months old?

Obviously won't be crushing the single track or anything with him on the bike, just want to take him for casual rides.