Post your mtb SS

_Daemon_

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32x18 is the best all-round gear for a SS 29er.

32x16 for a fast flat race or a quick jaunt up the spruit, 32x19 for Magalies Monster

I am stuck with a SRAM crankset with a 120bcd, so changing up front is not gonna happen soon.  I want to take my SS on holiday, and will be riding areas in and around George.

Currently running 39 upfront and 15 at the back (nice and flat areas), but what will be a good size to swop the 15t with?  a 18t (or bigger) something from KIWI?

cheers.

I am stuck with a SRAM crankset with a 120bcd, so changing up front is not gonna happen soon. I want to take my SS on holiday, and will be riding areas in and around George.

Currently running 39 upfront and 15 at the back (nice and flat areas), but what will be a good size to swop the 15t with? a 18t (or bigger) something from KIWI?

cheers.

Unless you really are a beast, I'd say 20 at the back.

Edit: I'm assuming you're going to ride some of the knysna forests etc too in the area. Not much flat there....

Edited by DomP

I set mine up 34x19. Very close. It's a nice ratio.

I am currently also on 34 X19 .Started on 40 X 15 ?? .I also liked 36 X 18 for the flatter rides

Edited by Blitzer

Unless you really are a beast, I'd say 20 at the back.

Edit: I'm assuming you're going to ride some of the knysna forests etc too in the area. Not much flat there....

Even if he was a beast he would need something bigger than a 20 if he was to use a 39.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

I am humbled by the gears I see okes riding :eek:

Blows my mind, either they are moer strong or just wanting to be spoken about as strong.

For me it's about getting from A-B as quick as possible.

Me too....very humble. I ride in Bloem and I have a 33 x 18 fitted.

yip, recently went to 34 × 20 and I'm the limit at some technical climbs, if you can call it climbs

Blows my mind, either they are moer strong or just wanting to be spoken about as strong.

For me it's about getting from A-B as quick as possible.

You are so frikken strong you ride a 42 x 11 to get from A to B

You are so frikken strong you ride a 42 x 11 to get from A to B

Not at all boeta, kat by die ballas, dit is waar jy hom gryp.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

32x18 for my "normal" SS 29er and 32x19 for the 29+ that I posted earlier. Seems ok for most of the trails I ride in Jhb, but the 32x18 killed me on day one of Dusi2c. Hopefully 32x19 will treat me better next year.

32x18 for my "normal" SS 29er and 32x19 for the 29+ that I posted earlier. Seems ok for most of the trails I ride in Jhb, but the 32x18 killed me on day one of Dusi2c. Hopefully 32x19 will treat me better next year.

32x18 is nice when you going to hit the big hills , 32x19 did not really work . For most races around Pretoria 32x16 is ideal .