• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't even laugh at the stupidity of our armed forces any force. I'm numb with emotion

Ratels were rolled in the old days as well, the only difference is that no one talked about it, and social media didn't exist.

If we made *** like that ,,,,and I'm not saying we did ;)

In two min we would have thought up a spectacular way of "making it disappear" as well as all idiots dumb enough to capture it before our PTIs pulled in for oppies

Luckily cell phones with cameras where not around in those days and cameras were not that small either

Edited by SwissVan

You guys know what CASSPIR stands for / means?

It is an acronym, combining CSIR, who designed it for the SAP.

Brilliant vehicles, hated in the 80's and 90's, but still being used all over Africa and the Mideast in "Peace Keeping Missions"

Edited by Wannabe

You guys know what CASSPIR stands for / means?

It is an acronym, combining CSIR, who designed it for the SAP.

Brilliant vehicles, hated in the 80's and 90's, but still being used all over Africa and the Mideast in "Peace Keeping Missions"

Always wondered whether someone with a twisted sense of humour named it after a friendly ghost!

12718120_10153997054263708_4331710606554

Just got this invite:

World-renowned British chemist, Sir Martyn Poliakoff, will be visiting Wits on Friday to deliver a lecture on the use of YouTube to spread his passion for chemistry.

Poliakoff, a Professor at the University of Nottingham in the UK is known as one of the pioneers in Green Chemistry and a mega star on YouTube for his videos of the Periodic Table of Elements

Poliakoff is the Foreign Secretary of the Royal Society, and is on a visit to South Africa to attend The International Academy Partnership Meeting of Science Academies, in Hermanus. After this, he will visit Wits for a single lecture.

Poliakoff – who prides himself on “looking a bit like Einstein” – was appointed Commander of the British Empire in 2008 for his services to science. His research revolves around gaining insights into fundamental chemistry and also on developing environmentally acceptable processes and materials. 

“The planet’s population is growing. We have to find cleaner, greener ways of making the chemicals that we need,” he says.

“I am particularly interested in how to make reactors where light is used to drive chemical reactions with less waste. One reactor is based on an idea I had while I was in the bath.”

Poliakoff is not only a recipient of the highest honours in the science, social life and from Royalty, but he has cultivated a huge following on YouTube, where on his Periodic Table of Videos has earned him almost 720 000 subscribers.

His lecture tells the story of how his participation in making some videos for the University of Nottingham’s YouTube channel, led him to collaborate with video journalist Brady Haran, to create his own channel.

Edited by Tumbleweed

I have got 2 kauai smoothie vouchers that expires today (completely forgot about them)

Quote this post and ill PM them to you

I'll take 'em. Have one around the corner from the office.

Now if they let us play with stuff like that at school I might have paid more attention during science class.

we (group of mates) only did one experiment in std.7

due to results thereof (and the state of the boys bathroom on the ground floor after we offered to clean the beakers) we were never again allowed to touch anything.

due to results thereof (and the state of the boys bathroom on the ground floor after we offered to clean the beakers) we were never again allowed to touch anything.

Makes me think of getting made to do one of those Christmas carol things in primary school. Standing on the stage and, according to my mother, looking all angelic and then she saw me get an evil grin and set the kid in front of me's hair alight...and that is the story of the last time lit candles were allowed at my school. haha

Hahaa well done. I only blew one thing up. Purely out of impatience to wait for instructions and I apparently combined things in the wrong order, left a nice stain on the ceiling - got off with a next time wait for instructions

Makes me think of getting made to do one of those Christmas carol things in primary school. Standing on the stage and, according to my mother, looking all angelic and then she saw me get an evil grin and set the kid in front of me's hair alight...and that is the story of the last time lit candles were allowed at my school. haha

That is a whole new level of Psycho... *carefully backs away*

We were caught playing a version of rounders with organs we were supposed to dissect. There was one guy who was trying to play the bagpipes with a cow's lungs too. That was the end of that... 

We were caught playing a version of rounders with organs we were supposed to dissect. There was one guy who was trying to play the bagpipes with a cow's lungs too. That was the end of that... 

We're all sitting at our keyboards hoping those are the only organs you boys were caught playing with :P haha

(This has quickly turned into the 'who was the worst at school" - and I love it)