• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

unless of course you are the oke with one leg... 

I would hope he thinks it is cool too, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten it?

(Remember, no one said: "Cool, I am going to cut of my leg so that I can get one too..."

have to admit, I had never heard of pickled fish at easter until well into my 30's about 10 years ago. Driving one of the (coloured) artisans to a customer to do some work, he told me about it. What a sheltered life I lead.

Serious question though, is it a coloured tradition, or do others partake?

Origin: South Africa

Also known as Ingelegde Vis which is Cape Town slang for Pickled Fish. Pickled Fish is a traditional South African recipe for a classic dish of fish pickled in white wine vinegar flavoured with curry spices. Slaves from Dutch territories in the East Indies brought this traditional method of pickling fish to South Africa. This became very popular in the days before refrigeration and though refrigeration has made this method of preservation obsolete pickled fish are still popular throughout South Africa.

heard a historian Cape Talk earlier talking about it. She said fish was eaten to break the fast (long ago they used to fast seriously for lent apparently) because it is lighter on the stomach than red meat. Also the pickling is a way of preserving, which was brought into Europe by the Jews fleeing persecution. So seems to be wider than just the flats.

Ineterstingly, the Cape Coloured connection apparently comes in when over Easter Weekend, fishing boats never went out. Fish used to be very cheap in days gone by and amongst the Cape Malays it was known that not even a stove was to be lit during that period so there would be enough fish pickled to last from Friday to Monday.

Ineterstingly, the Cape Coloured connection apparently comes in when over Easter Weekend, fishing boats never went out. Fish used to be very cheap in days gone by and amongst the Cape Malays it was known that not even a stove was to be lit during that period so there would be enough fish pickled to last from Friday to Monday.

Off topic, but how's your strip and build going?