I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

Poor Rhino never stood a chance without any horn either!

ja he really looked forlorn.

• Replies 78.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Seven sailors drowned when the berthing compartment was flooded. Most of the damage was done below deck due to the freighters bulbous bow with multiple compartments flooded.

Source

"It is immediately clear that this is one of the worst modern tragedies in U.S. Naval history, but it was no accident. It is likely the fault of human error, and people are responsible. We’ll have to wait for the Navy’s investigation to understand exactly what went wrong and how that could lead to such an avoidable incident—at the cost of losing seven U.S. sailors."

This excerpt is rather damning !

"It is immediately clear that this is one of the worst modern tragedies in U.S. Naval history, but it was no accident. It is likely the fault of human error, and people are responsible. We’ll have to wait for the Navy’s investigation to understand exactly what went wrong and how that could lead to such an avoidable incident—at the cost of losing seven U.S. sailors."

This excerpt is rather damning !

If the humans made a mistake then it should still be called an accident. Saying it wasn't an accident implies that it was intentional.

Yes yes, I know, before somebody starts with "well technically negligence......"

Sure somebody is at fault and to blame, that's how we do things these days, but I doubt it was intentional, unless it was an attack. Terrorists seem to like ramming things with other things.

Some hard decision were made in the seconds after the collision.

The ship suffered severe damage rapidly flooding 3 large compartments that included 1 machinery room and 2 berthing areas for 116 crew.

The Commanding Officer's cabin was also directly hit, trapping the CO [commanding officer] inside. The crew's response was swift and effective, and I want to point out - as we stand by the ship - how proud I am of them.

Heroic efforts prevented the flooding from catastrophically spreading which could have caused the ship to founder or sink. It could have been much worse.

The crew navigated the ship into one of the busiest ports in the world with a magnetic compass and backup navigation equipment. 1 of 2 shafts were locked.

Because of the tireless damage control efforts of a resolute and courageous team, the ship was able to make its way back to port safely on its own power last evening.

Source

FACTS OF THE DAY

Today in 1975 Jaws is released.

And for months after that, years even, I refused to close my eyes under water...

Edited by sias

And for months after that, years even, I refused to close my eyes under water...

.........pppssstttt....closing your eyes would not have helped in anyway .....

http://wallpapercave.com/wp/DveGJ3X.jpg

Yes I would, but I would be the dude swimming under water pulling on the peoples legs during the daaaa-dum, daa-daum dadum! Part  :devil:

I guess you could say their jaws would be left gaping as they scream..? ;)

Yes I would, but I would be the dude swimming under water pulling on the peoples legs during the daaaa-dum, daa-daum dadum! Part  :devil:

Reminds me when I did my military service.  One night we were watching the movie Arachnaphobia.  Our sergeant was watching with us but most of us has seen the movie.  At the end where this big spider jumps out at the guy we all went .... WHA!!!  The seargent fell off his chair, his face as white as a bed sheet (unlike his underwear that was everything but white).

Reminds me when I did my military service.  One night we were watching the movie Arachnaphobia.  Our sergeant was watching with us but most of us has seen the movie.  At the end where this big spider jumps out at the guy we all went .... WHA!!!  The seargent fell off his chair, his face as white as a bed sheet (unlike his underwear that was everything but white).

Extra PT for all involved?