• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Naughty little buggers...reminds me of that video of Stoffel the Honey Badger

Yah, and pretty strong too, thats a vertical wall and the little fella is almost the size of his rescuer, lots of strength needed there to haul him up. 

Naughty little buggers...reminds me of that video of Stoffel the Honey Badger

Not naughty. Bloody intelligent. 

Stofel

I have met Mr Stoffel. Very nice chap. However, I would rather face a marauding mass of stephen king's IT clowns than be chased by a unhappy Honeybadger. You have no idea what it takes to stop one of those things. Actually a good 'ol R1 or R5 in afrikaans mode!

EDIT: The story of Mr Stoffel and the lions.

Mr Stoffel escaped his enclosure by pilling a whole bunch of stones together so he could climb out. He got into a lion enclosure and of course the lion mauled him. Badgers have a special elastic layer under the skin that allows them to rotate in their own skin. As the lion had him in his jaws, Stoffel rotated and used his claws on Mr Lion and Mr Lion lost most of his underside and testicles.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mr+Stoifeel+badger+story&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=eEm5WfCrFoWp8wf87KCoDA

Its a slight left turn for her. If you look carefully you see her headlights in the top of the shot. Its a dual lane road with an island in the middle so she was on the other side of the road so actually went over the middle island and then across the oncoming road and then flew into the land rover entrance. You can also see the cars that pass through shot before her are going much slower so you can sort of use it as a reference. When you see her lights you can see she is going quickly. So many of these young people now buying Vrrr Phaas and driving them so irresponsibly.  Scary thing is we sometimes ride that exact road at that sort of time on a Saturday morning. Imagine she hit a group of cyclists on her way to the land rover entrance.

Yes, thanks for the info, I sort of saw that (slight left)  but wasn't sure if it was the same car or not and not remembering the area I didn't have a mental reference.

Clearly speed played a big role, but do you think the corner was apexed enough to throw a relatively high performance car with an "in control" driver off so much?

I am quite interested in this scenario because I still think there is more to this accident, something like, intoxication, fallen asleep, mechanical incident maybe?..launching a car like that over the middle island and then over what looks like a brick fence takes some doing if you are relatively in control.

It reminds me of once I was riding my motorbike and came around a corner noticing fresh tyre skid marks, as I apexed I saw another motorbike in the middle of the road on its side and a guy sitting on the curb looking dazed. I stopped, and fortunately he was okay just a little dazed, but all he could say was "I just lost concentration for a second and next thing I was on the dirt".

Its easy to do unfortunately, late at night, maybe been out at a party, tired, fell asleep and ....well there she is.!  

I have met Mr Stoffel. Very nice chap. However, I would rather face a marauding mass of stephen king's IT clowns than be chased by a unhappy Honeybadger. You have no idea what it takes to stop one of those things. Actually a good 'ol R1 or R5 in afrikaans mode!

Totally agree. They are scary.

We camped in Southgate in Moremi few years back. The hyenas were really bothersome- we used to pack all food and rubbish bags in the vehicles at night.

One night one of these Stoffel's got into a rubbish bin in our camp site. There was nothing in it, but about 5 hyenas must have thought otherwise. They really tried their best, but Stoffel kept 5 hyenas at bay with ease... every time they came too close, he made the most unholy growling sound, suitably amplified by the empty bin.

Was quite a show.

Totally agree. They are scary.

We camped in Southgate in Moremi few years back. The hyenas were really bothersome- we used to pack all food and rubbish bags in the vehicles at night.

One night one of these Stoffel's got into a rubbish bin in our camp site. There was nothing in it, but about 5 hyenas must have thought otherwise. They really tried their best, but Stoffel kept 5 hyenas at bay with ease... every time they came too close, he made the most unholy growling sound, suitably amplified by the empty bin.

Was quite a show.

Had a similar close up experience with a badger in Hwange in Zim.

Amazing animals, very smart, tough as nails, seriously full of attitude, afraid of NOTHING!

For me, the most incredible thing about them is how they deal with snakes. There are many reports (even on film) of them catching very poisonous snakes like cobras and puffies and getting bitten repeatedly in the process. They simply tear the snake apart and eat it until the poison takes hold. Then they fall over and sometimes lay in an unconscious state for hours, as long as a day, before they wake up slowly, finish eating the snake and walk off looking for the next meal.

Edit: I don't find them scary, just have LOTS of respect for them and will make sure I do not corner one!  

Here's one of the links:

Edited by DJR

Yeah, I love that part of them being "immune" to snake poison. Seen enough documentaries even the Mr Stoffel one.

Havent had the pleasure to see one yet.

Honey Badger - Master of Zero F's Given!

Edited by Eddy Gordo

We did Mashatu 10 years ago and on the second morning next to a dry Limpopo riverbed my 16 year old son and the two rangers spotted a Stoffel digging up worms in the sand.

They ill advisably decided to get closer to check him out

Needless to say Stoffel did not take too kindly to this human intrusion and attacked

The last we saw of Chris and his two sidekicks was their rather swift retreat over the riverbank into South Africa

My son did manage to grab a snap shot before he gapped it

I will dig it out and post it

Fearsome teeth rather too close for comfort

Talking of animals that are mean and tough, I heard this lovely story about the crocodile recently:

Did you know that a crocodile can also drop its' tail, just like some lizards, when it gets one moerse fright?  

Have you ever seen a crocodile without its' tail? 

No? I thought not!

That is because the crocodile is afraid of NOBODY and gets a fright from NOTHING!