• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

post-2696-0-68655600-1513933468_thumb.jpg

Day 21: Galaxies, Galaxies, Everywhere. Every object in this image (save for two nearby stars) is a separate galaxy made up of billions of stars. This is a detail of the "Hubble Ultra Deep Field," a larger image filled with nearly 10,000 galaxies--the deepest visible-light image of the cosmos. This galaxy-studded view represents a "deep" core sample of the universe, cutting across billions of light-years. In vibrant contrast to the rich harvest of classic spiral and elliptical galaxies, there exists a zoo of oddball galaxies littering the field. Some look like toothpicks; others like links on a bracelet. Peering into the Ultra Deep Field is like looking through a 2.5-meter-long soda straw. In ground-based photographs, the patch of sky in which the galaxies reside (just one-tenth the diameter of the full Moon) is largely empty. The image required 800 exposures taken over the course of 400 Hubble orbits around Earth. The total amount of exposure time was 11.3 days, taken between September 24, 2003, and January 16, 2004.

*this is a boring image...* so put my own below .... as it is the southern skies we see here, the southern cross and relevant stars and constellations (not my image but from the net)

post-2696-0-98306100-1513933671_thumb.jpg

I foresee some furious office fapping during these quite times if you keep posting pics like this.

Joh! but nice!

http://img.izismile.com/img/img10/20171221/1000/daily_gifdump_1503_11.gif

My friend who farms Merinos and Angoras in the Karoo will say "that's nothing boet, a black backed jackal can get into a sealed can of bully beef if it wants to". Still amazing :eek:  :thumbup:

post-2696-0-78724600-1514116409_thumb.jpg

Day 22: Gazing Into The Ring. Messier 57, otherwise known as The Ring Nebula, lies 2,500 light-years away. From Earth’s perspective, the nebula looks like a simple elliptical shape with a shaggy boundary. However, new observations show that the nebula is shaped like a distorted doughnut. This doughnut has a rugby-ball-shaped region of lower-density material slotted into in its central “gap”, stretching towards and away from us. The central star, once a massive red giant, is now very faint, having ejected most of its outer layers and exhausted its hydrogen fuel supply, on its way to becoming a white dwarf.

post-2696-0-11225500-1514116476_thumb.jpg

Day 23: A Cosmic Merger. NGC 5256 is a pair of galaxies 350 million light-years away viewed in their final chaotic stage of merging. The pair was previously observed by Hubble as part of a collection of 59 images of merging galaxies, released on Hubble’s 18th anniversary on April 24, 2008. New data makes the gas and dust being whirled around inside and outside the galaxy more visible than ever before.

post-2696-0-95688800-1514181056_thumb.jpg

Day 24: Galaxies Among the Stars. A detail from a closeup view of open star cluster NGC 6791, filled with stars estimated to be 8 billion years old. The cluster is in our own galaxy, some 13,000 light-years away. At upper left, two distant background galaxies can be seen through the spaces between the stars.

Merry Christmas you all !

post-2696-0-18562000-1514275266_thumb.jpg

Day 25: The Pillars of Creation. The Eagle Nebula's four-light-year-tall pillars are seen here seen in a visible light image, capturing the multi-colored glow of gas clouds, wispy tendrils of dark cosmic dust, and the rust-colored elephants’ trunks of the nebula’s famous pillars. The nebula lies 7,000 light-years away. The dust and gas in the pillars is seared by the intense radiation from young stars and eroded by strong winds from massive nearby stars. Merry Christmas everyone, and many thanks to all of the scientists and engineers who designed, built and have used this amazing orbiting instrument that so magnifies the heavens.

Hey guys and gals, hope you all had a good christmas and managed to indugle to your hearts (and livers) content.

Those of you (that we know about) going through a tough time, know you were in our thoughts as well.