I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

What?

So just because earth looks like a dot from really far away it makes willing to fight and die for what one believes to be right, meaningless? 

Does Carl Sagan's opinions about meaning also become less significant when considered from far away?

What a stupid remark.

Carl Sagan's entire "Pale Blue Dot" for context...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5c59qUUnAY&t=0s&list=LLd2_dnlNA7LzgJIc-PM4ofQ&index=3

Edited by Piston ZA

• Replies 78.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

What?

So just because earth looks like a dot from really far away it makes willing to fight and die for what one believes to be right, meaningless? 

Does Carl Sagan's opinions about meaning also become less significant when considered from far away?

What a stupid remark.

Piet "Jack-hammer" Botha said eloquently in "Goeienag generaal": "Generaal ry rond in sy blink, swart kar en speel skaak met die kinders van ons land."

How many of the soldiers that actually fight and die have a say in what their leaders believe to be right? There are very few just wars: Wars that I'd be willing to fight in, let alone  my son fight in. I believe fighting to stop Hitler was just, but him starting the war had no justification. This makes Sagan's statement relevant on that war. (Although I believe WW2 was a continuation of WW1, which was started  in 1914 when the Great Powers were all just lus to moer each other. BUT that is simplifying a complex issue over which there is no consensus by historians.

Therefore both WW1 & 2 aren't wars that I'd be willing to fight.

What?

What a stupid remark.

Also - those wars he was / is referring to in that quote were wars of conquest or ideology.

If you have to fight to protect what is just, that's a different thing entirely. 

the majority of deaths in wars are the result of inflated egos or small penis syndrome. I don't think "dying for what one believes is right " is really Sagan's point.

But Sagan is only interested in crossing the line first, no matter how you get there

But Sagan is only interested in crossing the line first, no matter how you get there

even although the line is pretty meaningless. Cosmologically speaking that is...

Piet "Jack-hammer" Botha said eloquently in "Goeienag generaal": "Generaal ry rond in sy blink, swart kar en speel skaak met die kinders van ons land."

How many of the soldiers that actually fight and die have a say in what their leaders believe to be right? There are very few just wars: Wars that I'd be willing to fight in, let alone  my son fight in. I believe fighting to stop Hitler was just, but him starting the war had no justification. This makes Sagan's statement relevant on that war. (Although I believe WW2 was a continuation of WW1, which was started  in 1914 when the Great Powers were all just lus to moer each other. BUT that is simplifying a complex issue over which there is no consensus by historians.

Therefore both WW1 & 2 aren't wars that I'd be willing to fight.

I took 20 years of my life listening to this EPIC podcast series last year.

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-50-blueprint-for-armageddon-i/

I do definitely not want to fight in WWI on the line.

Also - those wars he was / is referring to in that quote were wars of conquest or ideology.

If you have to fight to protect what is just, that's a different thing entirely. 

Okay, so the wars that should be fought are to protect what is just, and the ones that shouldn't be fought are unjust wars.

Nothing to do with how small the earth appears from a distance then, yes?

Okay, so the wars that should be fought are to protect what is just, and the ones that shouldn't be fought are unjust wars.

Nothing to do with how small the earth appears from a distance then, yes?

whoooosh....

if more people accepted how insignificant they were in the grand scheme of things, and just how unimportant their aspirations of world domination were when considering the size of the universe, and compared that against the utter suffering and destruction that their pissing contests waged, humanity would be better for it. 

Basically - don't be a ****. And everything to do with how small the earth appears from a distance. Or, rather, from his point of view, an awful lot to do with how small the earth is from a distance. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

BTW - nobody said don't fight for what's right. It's not black and white, either - so stop trying to force the argument to fit your frame of mind. What's needed is a bit of perspective. Realise that the world really is just an insignificant speck, so we may as well just all get along. It's the only world we have, at the moment. No need to wage unnecessary wars in the name of your imaginary friend, or your desire for endless expansion of your dominion. 

Don't be a dick... essentially.  

Edited by Myles Mayhew