• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

My troops hated me in basics. I liked taking inspections. My favourite trick after inspection was to shout "everyone get inside your beds". It's amazing how many only used one sheet and couldn't lie down properly.

My two corporals went one better. They would have the troops make their beds up outside the bungalow, then make them bring them back inside. Of course the doorway was too narrow and they had to turn the beds sideways.

We had a good laugh about it

And you still think it is funny !!

My troops hated me in basics. I liked taking inspections. My favourite trick after inspection was to shout "everyone get inside your beds". It's amazing how many only used one sheet and couldn't lie down properly.

My two corporals went one better. They would have the troops make their beds up outside the bungalow, then make them bring them back inside. Of course the doorway was too narrow and they had to turn the beds sideways.

We had a good laugh about it

One of those guys ...........my this my that........is it also YOUR staff when you  too have a boss and don't pay their salaries.........

SADF corporals and prefects at school.............full of self importance. Most are probably losers now..............

Edited by coppi

I still have contact with some of the guys and they are doing ok

My guys learnt not to take shortcuts. As a result they got to do things a lot quicker, and had the payoff of getting extra credits such as weekend passes and not having to stand for guard duty.

One of those guys ...........my this my that........is it also YOUR staff when you  too have a boss and don't pay their salaries.........

SADF corporals and prefects at school.............full of self importance. Most are probably losers now..............

One of the best things an NCO could do, was to identify with his troops. If they were just slabs of meat, there was less of an incentive to make sure they got through it all alive and sane. If they were family, so to speak, then the Corporal made sure "his" troops learnt what to do, to do their jobs well and to stay alive! It might not have been fun at all times, but it was a system that worked most of the time. My 2c (And, please understand, I am not condoning abuse!)

I still have contact with some of the guys and they are doing ok

My guys learnt not to take shortcuts. As a result they got to do things a lot quicker, and had the payoff of getting extra credits such as weekend passes and not having to stand for guard duty.

Keep digging, and trying to justify your behavior.

Making a bed does nothing for a troop in combat.

There were many other important things that you could have focused on.

If you have been in similar training circumstances, and enviroments you will understand. Ja sure, making beds does nothing for combat training, but it instill discipline, something which is essential in contact and patrol. The jokes made on troops/trainees are just that, jokes, and those are the things being remembered. And most of the times, trainees/troops get back at their trainer, in a joke. Then obviously opfk will follow, but during time off, they socialize and have a drink together. When it's work, work hard, when it's play time, play hard.

Edited by corrie.kuilder

If you have been in similar training circumstances, and enviroments you will understand. Ja sure, making beds does nothing for combat training, but it instill discipline, something which is essential in contact and patrol. The jokes made on troops/trainees are just that, jokes, and those are the things being remembered. And most of the times, trainees/troops get back at their trainer, in a joke. Then obviously opfk will follow, but during time off, they socialize and have a drink together. When it's work, work hard, when it's play time, play hard.

Sure but there was not reason to take it as far as they DID. So what if you want to make the bed and use one sheet while sleeping on the floor?

We got SOOOO little sleep in basics that I did not want to spend an hour every morning making the bed. Made it and left it as is for as long as possible.

Sure but there was not reason to take it as far as they DID. So what if you want to make the bed and use one sheet while sleeping on the floor?

We got SOOOO little sleep in basics that I did not want to spend an hour every morning making the bed. Made it and left it as is for as long as possible.

Ever been on a 80 hour bender carrying tyres, poles, being broken down? Thats what is necessary sometimes to break old walls down to the foundation, and then the rebuilding process start. Some people are made for it/ can handle it, some cannot, simple as that.

Ever been on a 80 hour bender carrying tyres, poles, being broken down? Thats what is necessary sometimes to break old walls down to the foundation, and then the rebuilding process start. Some people are made for it/ can handle it, some cannot, simple as that.

That is the BS they tried with us....break you down and build you they way they want you.

Which is to brainwash you into thinking that war and killing people is ok.????

Not many people that came back from that war or any war is 100% normal after.

its the weak characters that are easily broken down and rebuilt. strong characters resist it. so its not about handling it. its about giving yourself up to be brainwashed