Introduce yourself

Bianchisti

Hi Hubbers

I am new, to the Hub that is, and wanted some advice on a bike purchase.

I have been on a real bike (crashed as a 10yr old and never got back in the saddle!) for just over 3 years now. My learning curve has at times felt like an HC climb. What I have learned, though with little financial injury thankfully, is not all bikes are created equal.

I am currently the owner and soon to be BikeHub seller of a Silverback Sola 2 2015 and am now looking to trade up. I would really appreciate some advice on what is a reliable, value for hard earned money, brand and which bikes would be suit my needs.

The specs:

I am not a 'racing snake' or a 'hill monkey'

I ride for fun

I enter a couple races a year:
Ashburton series, Trailseeker Series, Fun Grabadoo to the one time only experience of the Magalies Monster.

I am a single mother - I.E. NO, donate a kidney, price tickets!

I love a challenge the odd silencing climb and freak out and cry a little on tricky steep descents, refer to Magalies above!

I have no major bias for a brand but have been looking at the Silverback Storm 1/Merida Big Nine.

I think I would like a carbon hardtail - LIGHT BIKE!

I would also like a little more control on tricky descents

I do not want to spend over R30K ... yeah reality bites!

I have been on a Merida Big Nine 2014 large and she is just too big for me sadly. I absolutely love her otherwise - she basically just does half the work for me!

So that is a bit of a sketch but specs are important so those are mine if anyone would be able to give advice.

I am not sure about new or second hand but on Carbon prob new ...?

Thnx

Mel

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride for fun

Don't we all ...  :whistling:

Welcome to the hub.

You might want to add how tall you are as that could determine weather you should go for a 29er or 27.5 etc.

I would also go for the hard tail if I was you.  If you are not brand specific look at what is on the market with the various components. There might be a special going with a bike that has high end components on it.

Hi Hubbers

I have been on a real bike (crashed as a 10yr old and never got back in the saddle!) for just over 3 years now. My learning curve has at times felt like an HC climb. What I have learned, though with little financial injury thankfully, is not all bikes are created equal.

I am currently the owner and soon to be BikeHub seller of a Silverback Sola 2 2015 and am now looking to trade up. I would really appreciate some advice on what is a reliable, value for hard earned money, brand and which bikes would be suit my needs.

The specs:

I ride for fun

Ashburton series, Trailseeker Series, Fun Grabadoo to the one time only experience of the Magalies Monster.

I love a challenge the odd silencing climb and freak out and cry a little on tricky steep descents, refer to Magalies above!

I have no major bias for a brand but have been looking at the Silverback Storm 1/Merida Big Nine.

I have been on a Merida Big Nine 2014 large and she is just too big for me sadly. I absolutely love her otherwise - she basically just does half the work for me!

So that is a bit of a sketch but specs are important so those are mine if anyone would be able to give advice.

Thnx

Mel

Welcome!

Maybe start a separate thread for your new bike query.

Budget up to R30k puts some nice dual suspension bikes in the running if you are prepared to look at 2015 and 2016 old stock models - a really nice hardtail is also possible but your comfort will go up a lot more with dual sus.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi Hubbers

The specs:

I ride for fun

Thnx

Mel

Firstly welcome!

Secondly start a separate thread for the advice you're seeking (if you haven't already) and specify your budget as well.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

Don't we all ...  :whistling:

Welcome to the hub.

You might want to add how tall you are as that could determine weather you should go for a 29er or 27.5 etc.

I would also go for the hard tail if I was you.  If you are not brand specific look at what is on the market with the various components. There might be a special going with a bike that has high end components on it.

True!

Thanks - I am 176 so am leaning more to 29 as we do a lot of open road too and hate being left in the dust ... sometimes it is unavoidable - but yeah advantage in light and fast is what I have enjoyed so far.

Thanks JXV - I will, good idea.

Navigating my way around the hubspace, so bear with me...

In terms of year - as long as it's in the 2010's we good. I am not iffy about year, bar the obvious tech advantages that come with year in year out manufacturer learnings.

Off to start that bike query thread ...

Lighthouse :thumbup: ;)

Edited by melflygirl

I must be doing something right, my wife just commented that I might be becoming a little obsessed with this cycling thing as she calls it.

"a little obsessed" . My wife thinks that I have an affair or multiple affairs because I can't go through a day without being on Bikehub. [emoji33] [emoji6]

A bad day cycling is better than a good day working.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen

I have been lurking on the forum for a while and officially joined today.

I originally was a road cyclist in my varsity days but stopped after getting hit by a vehicle. I had a health scare last year and worked hard to get back into shape. I've lost 22kg's and now weight the same as when I got married. My good friend Nick got me into MTB 6 months ago. I bought a second hand Titan Sport and I have been hooked ever since.

I mostly ride Northern farms and the Spruit. Learning lots and its become the family joke that I come home with a bloodied knee.

I look forward to learning more and good conversations on the forum!

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen

I have been lurking on the forum for a while and officially joined today.

I originally was a road cyclist in my varsity days but stopped after getting hit by a vehicle. I had a health scare last year and worked hard to get back into shape. I've lost 22kg's and now weight the same as when I got married. My good friend Nick got me into MTB 6 months ago. I bought a second hand Titan Sport and I have been hooked ever since.

I mostly ride Northern farms and the Spruit. Learning lots and its become the family joke that I come home with a bloodied knee.

I look forward to learning more and good conversations on the forum!

Welcome!!! :clap:  :clap:

Enjoy the stay, especially on Fridays! :w00t:

Hi Hubbers

New to the forum. I'm buying my first mountain bike after perhaps 15 years of not riding. I bought my wife a Axis 26" bike last year and she enjoys it. I've been looking at getting myself a Titan bike 29r with a XL frame. I have about 8k to spend. Anyone who owns a titan have some suggestions? Also do I need to go tubeless/ready?

Thanks

Welcome, Im going to give you the compulsory story about the being part of the cost and needing to budget for good cycling shorts/bibs and safety gear.

Other than that Titan is a good value for money brand, you dont need to go tubeless right away but it will help to make your riding hassle free. You can sometimes negotiate it into the purchase with the LBS.

Generally though I would say look at 2nd hand bikes, much better value to be had there.

Hey Hubbers, its been a while. Name is Grant Usher, used to be STEELNiner many moons ago but cant seem to find that logon or my credentials. Dont spend too much time here but can hopefully add some value every now-and-then.

Just wanted to check on the rules, I also run a service centre/retail space in Parkwood and also do event tech/mech support at stage races. Dont want to overstep any boundries or rules on advertising or offering services on here if its not allowed, what is acceptable, and what not?