Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Hope the bloke is a hubber...

A commuter on a road bike that cycled direction north on Solomon Mahlangu this morning at 06h05.

You utter twat!

In 100 meters you almost committed suicide. And not once, but 3 times!

What took place was the bloke turned out of Bendeman Road right, but lets think... if you turn right, where do you stand? Left of the cars or on the right?

Lets look at it this way, you are on the right hand side of the road. You are an idiot with road pedals, and you have no idea how to clip in and get away from the cars.

So what did you do... move into the path of a car, but wait, the car is next to you, so you swerve out of the way... only to realize that you were on the edge of the road, where still trying to clip in, you swerve into the lane again, and almost got taken out by an BMW. And the cycle started again.

Just be glad that my wife was in the car, or I would have given you a bit of my mind!

Think what you are doing! You pissed off more than 3 people in less tan 100 meters! What great picture do you paint for people in their cars? That cyclists are IDIOTS!

Wake up you darn fool, you are a blood stain on the road waiting to happen!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Need some coffee?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's that time of the year where even more people are throwing bottles out of the car. Drinking, driving and moering a bottle. I can't wrap my mind around it. 

Had a puncture right past Fish Hoek, went to Regal Cycles. Got a new tube. Same day a puncture. Took it to Caledonion in Muiz. They patched it. On the way back home to Glencairn I didn't get past Kalk Bay. Another flat. Now the outer tyre is gone as well. 

By the sounds of things most of our commuters are CPT based, understandable. Any JHB Bike lane users here? CBD and surrounds?

This week I celebrate my 1000th km of commuting. Bought the old hardtail a half link chain and smaller gear to say congrats. Been great. Strong like bull!

It's that time of the year where even more people are throwing bottles out of the car. Drinking, driving and moering a bottle. I can't wrap my mind around it. 

Had a puncture right past Fish Hoek, went to Regal Cycles. Got a new tube. Same day a puncture. Took it to Caledonion in Muiz. They patched it. On the way back home to Glencairn I didn't get past Kalk Bay. Another flat. Now the outer tyre is gone as well. 

close to the office, it is not the glass bottles... It is the glass from broken windows that litters the ground.  The office is about 800 meters from a smash and grab hotspot.  So that direction became a direction that's never used anymore...

Did the first of my summer commutes yesterday. Now that the schools are closed I don't have to drop the boys off in the morning. Roads are dead quiet before 7am in the absence of the school run menace. Heaven! Such a great way to start your day. I wish I could do it more.

Did the first of my summer commutes yesterday. Now that the schools are closed I don't have to drop the boys off in the morning. Roads are dead quiet before 7am in the absence of the school run menace. Heaven! Such a great way to start your day. I wish I could do it more.

Wife is on leave from the 16th.  So will take the bike out then.  This attempt to save the polar bears has gone far enough.  This hubby bear of hers got real fat in the past year since we started using one car...

I have decided to ride to work (20 steps from my back door) i walk out the front door make a small 50 km detour to the coffee guys next to ushaka then head back up the hill to the office...i dont need to worry about forgetting my work clothes ;)

a few things i have learnt...

dont get in the way of a motorist who is 5 min late for work...

ride as defensively as you can...no matter what it takes.

a municipal bus is rated my number most dangerous vehicle when riding a bicycle...there are a list of reasons which can be discussed another time.

motorists heading to work in the morning are far more dangerous than when they leaving work...especially if they are running late...or you are holding them up while they are waiting at a stop street...except if they have been out to lunch at the local pub.

find a coffee shop higher than your place of work...it is easier to ride down to work after the cuppa :)

Totally Agree! Those orange putco busses and Metro Buses travelling up Rivonia from Sandton are super dangerous.

I commute around 28km return trip daily so I must be close to 5,000 km for the year... i think I missed (using car or scooter) about 10 trips this year due to meetings.

The amazing thing is that I only got soaked 6 times out of about 400 one way trips! Gotta love Joburg. I do time my rides a bit to avoid rain...

If I see a bus coming and it's narrow I move over to the middle of the lane to ensure they don't squeeze me off the road!

I commute around 28km return trip daily so I must be close to 5,000 km for the year... i think I missed (using car or scooter) about 10 trips this year due to meetings.

The amazing thing is that I only got soaked 6 times out of about 400 one way trips! Gotta love Joburg. I do time my rides a bit to avoid rain...

If I see a bus coming and it's narrow I move over to the middle of the lane to ensure they don't squeeze me off the road!

Eeesh!! That's a ballsy move. I wouldn't have guts to try that.

Eeesh!! That's a ballsy move. I wouldn't have guts to try that.

After 2 years of commuting I've learnt that if you are not assertive and not make your intentions very clear you'll be run over FAST.

After 2 years of commuting I've learnt that if you are not assertive and not make your intentions very clear you'll be run over FAST.

Problem is you're totally reliant on the good will of the bus driver. That said as a cyclist, just sharing the road with cars, I guess you're putting a lot of faith in the drivers around you.

What I've learned, and learn every time again: 

Some liquid dripping out of the lunch container onto my clean clothes in my bag. Soup today. Hard learner.  

Wait till you open your MacBook at the office and find it dripping with sauce...  The shirt I could wash at the office.  Was a bit chilly, but got used to after a while.