Show us your pets

tunariaan

I have a bit a dilemma .One often (?) see what appears to be stay dogs and what gives rise to this dilemma is :

How do you 'recognize' a stray ( i.e. , is a dog wandering beside the road/field really a stray ) ? Often these ' strays' seem like they could be mothering some babies .

What action do you take ? You don't want to chase them into traffic or remove them from their babies in your attempts. Is calling the SPCA the solution. The SPCA seems to have a bad reputation anyway. Has the SPCA have a centralized phone number ? 

Saw 2 strays this morning and I offered to help the lady that was trying to attend to them. One was in poor shape. The lady was a bit irritated with me as she thought that the noise from my motorcycle would chase them into the traffic. She said she was okay.

How does one handle the situation in general ? It really upsets me that I have not attempted to better the situation.  

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today we said our final goodbye to Sabastion. He used to belong to a hubber who was going through a divorce so we took him in just over 3 years ago as a foster but then we couldn't let him go. He was a sad old soul when we got him, not very receptive to attention but over the years he went from a dog who absolutely hated the water to one who would go and swim in the middle of the pool (dam!) so you had to go in and fetch him and he truly loved a a snuggle in the bed in winter.

We took him for his check up this morning (he had a heart condition so every 3 months he went for his check up) and he had a heart attack in the consulting room. The vet tried to save him but you just know when its time to let go.....

Goodbye old Farty, may those tennis balls never stop bouncing for you wherever you are now....
post-12678-0-55787400-1416318051_thumb.jpg

post-12678-0-46771400-1416318116_thumb.jpg

I have a bit a dilemma .One often (?) see what appears to be stay dogs and what gives rise to this dilemma is :

How do you 'recognize' a stray ( i.e. , is a dog wandering beside the road/field really a stray ) ? Often these ' strays' seem like they could be mothering some babies .

What action do you take ? You don't want to chase them into traffic or remove them from their babies in your attempts. Is calling the SPCA the solution. The SPCA seems to have a bad reputation anyway. Has the SPCA have a centralized phone number ?

Saw 2 strays this morning and I offered to help the lady that was trying to attend to them. One was in poor shape. The lady was a bit irritated with me as she thought that the noise from my motorcycle would chase them into the traffic. She said she was okay.

How does one handle the situation in general ? It really upsets me that I have not attempted to better the situation.

Good question. Ghost was in great condition when I found him, so he wasn't a stray per se. But he wasn't looked after in the sense that you could tell he didn't get attention.

I'd prefer using a private shelter than taking them to the SPCA. I'd really prefer to take each and every one in myself. We came across a beaut husky and a Yorkie on the road on Saturday. I wanted to take them in but sense prevailed. Took them to my local vet. Luckily, the frantic humans had already called them so were waiting when I arrived.

To me, a stray is a dog on the street. Could be a temporary stray. If you can help, do so. If you can't, don't feel bad that you didn't. Feel good that at least you thought that you could try. Shows heart. :-)

Here's an update on my baby. He's around 9 months old now, you can see the black on he's beak slowly fading away. This is my first Eclectus, truly amazing parrots with an awesome personality and extremely clever. He's easily as smart as my late African Grey girl, but definitely easier to train. He's still battling to speak, lots of baby mumbling  but no real words yet. I have managed to potty train him, so no more dirty shirts :thumbup: , he has a stand in the car and loves driving with, he's trained not to scream/shout for attention and plays fetch (sorta, until something more interesting catches his attention)

post-19039-0-39893100-1416331751_thumb.jpg

hey BOB, looks awesome. Planning to head to your neck of the woods in Dec - bike in tow. Maybe i should get some knee/elbow pads so long :)

Lekker.  We are going to have such a jol.... :thumbup: 

Get some pads if you like.....we can go ride along the river with pads and bikinis :P

Today we said our final goodbye to Sabastion. He used to belong to a hubber who was going through a divorce so we took him in just over 3 years ago as a foster but then we couldn't let him go. He was a sad old soul when we got him, not very receptive to attention but over the years he went from a dog who absolutely hated the water to one who would go and swim in the middle of the pool (dam!) so you had to go in and fetch him and he truly loved a a snuggle in the bed in winter.

We took him for his check up this morning (he had a heart condition so every 3 months he went for his check up) and he had a heart attack in the consulting room. The vet tried to save him but you just know when its time to let go.....

Goodbye old Farty, may those tennis balls never stop bouncing for you wherever you are now....

attachicon.gifsabastion.jpg

attachicon.gifsabastion2.jpg

RIP Farty. Good luck Mojoman.

Hubbers, I'm sitting with a difficult decision. I'm going away for 2 weeks this holiday and unfortunately I can not take my 4 dogs with. The other day someone was in my yard and my two Huskies went missing. Luckily we managed to find them.

Now the question is, do I leave them at home, or book them into a kennels that will keep them safe? The kennels must off course have a big area were they will be living and a couple of other things.

If you are ever in Bloem, take a trip to the Cheetah Experience.

Here are a couple of pics of their facebook page

Guy told us that a friend of theirs found their Jack Russell missing.

So they went onto their CCTV server and tried to check where the pooch went off to or if one of the workers killed the dog.

What they found was nuts.

One cheetah walked into the yard, Spotted the JR, bit it and carried it off. And started eating the pooch.

A cat way to die...

Noggie was returned to his owner yesterday, a Dept of Home Affairs employee picked him up on Friday, and brought him home :clap: yesterday. He went from farm to farm looking for Nog's owner, probably only went to one farm and got sent to JG's farm, as everyone was keeping an eye out for him :w00t:

Safe at home again

attachicon.gif1069789_10152324165276890_6913419295510468430_n.jpg

Any news on Nog? Problem is so many people find a dog/cat and think oh cute and keep the.

My sisters cat was gone for nearly 2 months, turns out someone took him it.

I posted on Twitter as well, hope he comes home soon.

Sad news. I am pretty sure I have met Nog earlier this year at the pub at Thomas River. He was absolutely crazy about his tennis ball and could jump/climb up the back of a Hilux with rails.

JR's are very attached to their owners and will easily try to run after a car or bike.

Ag, no man Dean! That is so not cool. Little bugger just probably wanted to be with dad.

Poem by Nog's Bosses Sister-in-law

AN ODE TO A NOG

There was a little dog

His name was Nog

Went with his Dad on a tour around the farm

Forgot the co-ords, and hit an alarm

When he found himself on the N6

Labour affairs saw he was up to tricks

11 kilometers away from his farm, he thought he wouldn't come to any harm

Spent the weekend with Xolisiwe

Oh heck, I'm diniwe

I'm so glad I'm home and I need a collar

So if my GPS get's stuffed , I'll find my mother.

I missed JG, Quinnie, Ollie, Tim. Emma and Saki

Oh boy, am I lucky

Guy told us that a friend of theirs found their Jack Russell missing.

So they went onto their CCTV server and tried to check where the pooch went off to or if one of the workers killed the dog.

What they found was nuts.

One cheetah walked into the yard, Spotted the JR, bit it and carried it off. And started eating the pooch.

A cat way to die...

Thats a terrible story  :mellow:

Friends lived on a farm bordering Kruger park. He came home one day to see his JR on the wring side of the game fence barking at a pride of lions, tough but not the brightest little guys around.