Show us your pets

tunariaan

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi any recommendations where I can buy a male Jack Russel puppy in Cape Town?

Thanks

Check at the SPCA - Jack Russels are always being handed in or picked up because they are escape artists. Even puppies.

I have a few Tarantulas, OK more than a few, that looks after my bicycles and they are great pets. I'm able to go on holiday for a month without worrying about feeding them. This is one of my Ivory Ornamental and you don't wanna get bitten by this species! You won't die, but you'll wish you were dead cause you will be in extreme pain for weeks, fortunately no long term damage ????

post-4329-0-17033300-1444930436_thumb.png

I have a few Tarantulas, OK more than a few, that looks after my bicycles and they are great pets. I'm able to go on holiday for a month without worrying about feeding them. This is one of my Ivory Ornamental and you don't wanna get bitten by this species! You won't die, but you'll wish you were dead cause you will be in extreme pain for weeks, fortunately no long term damage

No way that I am going to like your post. Don't like spiders. I'll stick with my dogs, thank you

I have a few Tarantulas, OK more than a few, that looks after my bicycles and they are great pets. I'm able to go on holiday for a month without worrying about feeding them. This is one of my Ivory Ornamental and you don't wanna get bitten by this species! You won't die, but you'll wish you were dead cause you will be in extreme pain for weeks, fortunately no long term damage

Amazing Camo!

Amazing Camo!

Yes, that's why I always tripple check when sticking my hand in there with a looong tweezer when I need to remove an exuviam or freshen up the water bowl from this species terrariums.

Have you ever been bitten by one?

Speaking from experience? :eek:

Nope, touch wood, I'm very careful, well I try to be! I personally know of people who have been bitten. Youtube and arachnid forums have some incidents recorderd....

Its a very addictive hobby. I've got around 25 now, but no pokies. Too fast and too venomous for my liking.

This is gonna come across like one of those "why would you tattoo yourself"-type questions, but it's not! Genuinely interested: What is the fascination of keeping something like spiders?

Its a very addictive hobby. I've got around 25 now, but no pokies. Too fast and too venomous for my liking.

I have over 60 different species (I'm not a breeder, just fascinated by them). I also have the most venomous ones (there are over 900 identified tarantula species in the world and none are deadly) e.g. the Featherleg baboon or Starbust baboon.

I use Tarantupedia as reference for all my T's or the ones I want to get.

This is gonna come across like one of those "why would you tattoo yourself"-type questions, but it's not! Genuinely interested: What is the fascination of keeping something like spiders?

Well, more specifically Tarantulas (T's) and to be tecnically correct, Theraphosidae.

Saw many of them in the wild on trips in the bush when I was young, specifically the baboon species (Ceratogyrus). I started with one 6 years ago, when I bought my first, a Redrump as I always wanted a T and I was fascinated with it. I bought a sling (short for spiderling) and wanted to see how it grows as I feed it. I also knew from the beginning  that it's a responibilty I have to be prepared to follow through as you need to feed it, provide the correct environment with regard to temperature and caging as well as clean water. I also bought a book, what people in the hobby refer to as the "tarantula bible", The Tarantula Keeper's Guide

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51tsHWv2PcL._SX383_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

After a few months I bought another one. Then I start going to the Exotic reptile and pet expo's and there it just went pear-shaped. I was learning so much from the book that I want to see for myself.

Now, what is it that fascinates me so much?

Well, believe it or not, they have personalities. You can have e.g. two of the exact same species, but they will be different, one you will be able to handle, the other you won't.

To watch them molt every few months, this is when they literally squeeze out of their old skin (exuviae) as they are growing, is liking watching the T giving birth to itself each time and then end up being bigger.

How they hunt and the speed. The different ways differnt species hunt and stalk the prey is breathtaking.

How they feed, spinning a feeding net/plate as they circle around.

They way they build nests and borrows with the many types from different species.

The mating rituals of different species and the tappings on the glass of the males to attract the females or the tapping in front of the burrow of the female, also being very careful not to be eaten by the much larger female. The special hook like body parts of males to hold the female's fangs at bay.

I also enjoy building my own cages to house all my T's out of acrylic due to the many better qualities it has compared to glass.

Trarantula females can live from 6 to 25 years, where males only 5 to 10 years.

Then there's the old world T's and the new world T's and how they defend themselves.

Bellow youtube video is from a breeder:

There's plenty of fascinating things I can go on and on about to no end, best to go online or to follow this awesome link as a start:

Take a unique journey inside the body of a giant tarantula, to see how it moves, breathes, hunts, eats and defends itself

EDIT: above link seems not to be working :blush:

Edited by nathrix ® ©™