• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no perfect tyres out there. 

I've used the following combos on my xc bike:

Spez Ground Control 2.3 front & Fast track 2.3 rear

Vittoria Barzo 2.35 front, Mezcal 2.25 rear

Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 front, Ikon 2.2 rear

Best value for money vs performance vs lifespan in my opinion is Maxxis. 

11 hours ago, Mattman said:

I run the Maxiss Forekaster 2.35 in the front and Ikon 2.35 in the back. Forekaster is a chunkier tyre but as a heavier rider (90kg) the extra grip gives me a lot of confidence on the trails/ technical terrain, plus I manage to keep up with group training rides on the road averaging 26 - 28kmh. I must say that the 3C compound is a must on Maxxis - I recently ran a non 3C maxxis tyre at the back and road riding tore it up - only lasted about 2 months - also got several punctures on the trails. 

The Forekaster just lasts forever and has never given me an issue with punctures. I would way rather have that peace of mind when doing a race, especially Sani, knowing that it’s only your legs that may fail you and not your tyres. Plus, I would argue that having more grip would save you time on single track. 

Been riding the Forekaster for a few months and while it's not a bad tyre at all, it blows up quite small on 25mm rims. To the point that both the Ikon and the Ardent I tried at the back were bigger, which both looks weird and psychologically messes with my already low confidence. 

Rekon 2.6" at the front going on next. Not much heavier and should provide better grip on loose dusty ground. 

2 hours ago, Stephan said:

There are no perfect tyres out there. 

I've used the following combos on my xc bike:

Spez Ground Control 2.3 front & Fast track 2.3 rear

Vittoria Barzo 2.35 front, Mezcal 2.25 rear

Best value for money vs performance vs lifespan in my opinion is Maxxis. 

I think I am down to: (Scwhalbe at R1.2k per tyre just too expensive - and I need 4)

...or...

Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 front, Ardent 2.25 rear 

...or...

Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 front, Rekon Race 2.25 rear 

Edited by pedal menace

3 minutes ago, Super Sywurm said:

Imagine being in my shoes, I need to buy new car tires and mountain bike tires at the same time...

ALL THE CHOICES...

yoh! if that were me, my choices would be limited to the cheap and cheerful!!

10 minutes ago, _David_ said:

I run Recon Race 2.35 front and back love them in dry conditions not so much in the wet.

6 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

I run rear 2.4 Aspen and front 2.4 Recon Race. The wheel ID is 30mm.  The combo feels fine, but I don't think the Aspen will last very long. I have done around 2000km on the pair.

My setup did not work in the wet/clay Drakensberg trails.

8 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

yoh! if that were me, my choices would be limited to the cheap and cheerful!!

I got a quote on some cheap, no name car tires.  But, are they worth it?  They are approximately 1k cheaper each than the more well known tires. 

17 minutes ago, Super Sywurm said:

Imagine being in my shoes, I need to buy new car tires and mountain bike tires at the same time...

ALL THE CHOICES...

Wait until until your son/daughter starts joining the more serious cycling age and wants to everything you are doing - now just not your own costs anymore 😢

The Sani is costing me a small fortune!

BUT---to have the honour and privilege of doing it with my son for the first time....PRICELESS!!!!!

Edited by pedal menace

1 minute ago, pedal menace said:

Wait until until your son/daughter starts joining the more serious cycling age and wants to everything you are doing - now just your own costs anymore 😢

The Sani is costing me a small fortune!

BUT---to have the honour and privilege of doing it with my son for the first time....PRICELESS!!!!!

My son wanting to ride the Sani with me would be an excellent excuse to convince the wife to enter.

He is turning 3 this month, still a couple of years to wait!

Is anyone running 2.3 front and back and if so which brand? Is there a big difference between 2.3 and 2.35?

8 minutes ago, Spafsack said:

Is anyone running 2.3 front and back and if so which brand? Is there a big difference between 2.3 and 2.35?

A maxxis 2.35 can often be found to be around 2.1".... 🤨

Hi Nico, reason i ask. I am old school, still running 2.25 front and rear, cause my brain and my legs say my rolling resistance is better 😁 Wy wife has Barzo's, cape cobra i think, 2.2 i think, her tyres look wider than mine 🤨 I once fitted icons front and rear, 2.35, man o man, feels like you riding on a cushion, but [might just be me] on the uphills i found i was doing more work to do the same speed as my good old faithfull 2.25 cross marks. But i must say, i am now at a stage where i want to go a tad bit wider, so either 2.3 or max 2.35. As long as rolling res is the same or better then its a win win.