29er tyres

Spartacus88

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WTB Trailboss on the front with WTB Weirwolf at the back. Well that's what I would do if I had a 29er in this rainy weather.

Not here to argue Geax vs Maxxis vs Conti vs whatnot

Gonna drop some shameless marketing. Got myself some Conti Protektion tyres from easybike at R550 each. If you decide on Continentals for whatever reason: take the Protektion route (versus Pure Grip). I've seen way to many slashed tyres around here..

The protections also have the highly rated black chilli tyre compound where as the pure grip is apparently more of a harder budget compound.

Have had excellent service from a seto of WTB Weirwolfs, confident in the wet, and predictable in the dry.

The 2.3's can be run at low pressure and i truly think this tyre is the bees whole leg.

Have had excellent service from a seto of WTB Weirwolfs, confident in the wet, and predictable in the dry.

The 2.3's can be run at low pressure and i truly think this tyre is the bees whole leg.

I ran Weirwolf for years on front of my 26er...battling to find one for my 29er. Any suggestions where to get one?

I ran Weirwolf for years on front of my 26er...battling to find one for my 29er. Any suggestions where to get one?

We are waiting for more stock of Weirwolf in the new year. Personally I'd take the Trailboss with the more aggressive tread for front tyre myself but I know many who love the Weirwolf.

• 3 weeks later...

I see Maxxis Ikon 29er Tyre EXO/3C are on sale at CWC.

Are they good enough for groenkloof/the barn/dualx races?

I sliced a Schwalbe Racing Ralph at groenkloof last week and have to get my tyres sorted

Ikons 3c are super super strong never had any cuts, in 2 years, my other bike has saguaros tnt, also no issues..

We are waiting for more stock of Weirwolf in the new year. Personally I'd take the Trailboss with the more aggressive tread for front tyre myself but I know many who love the Weirwolf.

Do you struggle to get the WTB's on a rim? 

I couldn't manage by myself and my LBS also said they struggled.

Love the tyres but worried about being caught with a problem on the trail with them...

I see Maxxis Ikon 29er Tyre EXO/3C are on sale at CWC.

Are they good enough for groenkloof/the barn/dualx races?

I sliced a Schwalbe Racing Ralph at groenkloof last week and have to get my tyres sorted

I have the MAxxis Crossmark , ride groenkloof. the barn, van gaal ect regularly never had a issue

Ikons 3c are super super strong never had any cuts, in 2 years, my other bike has saguaros tnt, also no issues..

Ok went for the Ikons

I have the MAxxis Crossmark , ride groenkloof. the barn, van gaal ect regularly never had a issue

I just fit Maxxis Crossmark's and have accumulated around 400 odd kays of very rocky, technical terrain with plenty duwweltjies and short sticks poking out the ground for fun. NO ISSUES YET, these tyres are legend.

Do you struggle to get the WTB's on a rim? 

I couldn't manage by myself and my LBS also said they struggled.

Love the tyres but worried about being caught with a problem on the trail with them...

No. Not if you use UST rims.

Only battle with non tubeless rimes like Stans. WTB are proper tubeless tyres.

Pinkbike did a whole expose of the issue:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/To-The-Point-UST-Rims-Tires-2013.html