Coffee machine

Jura if you can afford one. They are bullet proof and very consistent. Delonghi is also good and almost half the price. That being said we use a Bialetti manual milk frother to make cappuccinos. I consider the coffee we make at home better than the coffee from the better coffee shops using the Delonghi and Bialetti frother combo.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jura if you can afford one. They are bullet proof and very consistent. Delonghi is also good and almost half the price. That being said we use a Bialetti manual milk frother to make cappuccinos. I consider the coffee we make at home better than the coffee from the better coffee shops using the Delonghi and Bialetti frother combo.

Reviews indicate that the Juras are expensive and not necessarily the best, but very good.

Also in the market for a good machine. Delonghi seems tempting. Jura e6 at just shy of 15k is a bit rich but would go for that if I could find it a bit cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reviews indicate that the Juras are expensive and not necessarily the best, but very good.

Also in the market for a good machine. Delonghi seems tempting. Jura e6 at just shy of 15k is a bit rich but would go for that if I could find it a bit cheaper.

I was never a Jura fan boy. Had a few machines over the last 5 years. After my Bosch packed up I got a Jura.

Should have got one years ago :(

Anyone used or know about the Ascaso Dream Coffee Machine's?

Reviews seem mixed, either great and reliable or totally unreliable and very expensive parts. Couldn't you rebuild it with generic spares for things like heaters and thermostats?

Build seems amazing, brass tank, sold die cast aluminium body, looks the part. I can get a mint 2hnd one for around R2k.

Looks like this:

Espresso_Light_Blue_1024x1024.jpg?v=1376

Bump!

Has no one heard of these machine's, it seems they were being officially imported at one stage. What do people do for spares for obscure brands, how easy is it to mod a machine to use a different heating element/pump etc?

Bump!

Has no one heard of these machine's, it seems they were being officially imported at one stage. What do people do for spares for obscure brands, how easy is it to mod a machine to use a different heating element/pump etc?

No idea. But it looks good and if it works ok, I would not be too concerned about repairs at R2k. If it lasts you 6 months you're out of luck, but if it lasts another 2 years then you got a good deal.

In any case, repairs will most like be more than what it cost you.

Anyone used or know about the Ascaso Dream Coffee Machine's?

Reviews seem mixed, either great and reliable or totally unreliable and very expensive parts. Couldn't you rebuild it with generic spares for things like heaters and thermostats?

Build seems amazing, brass tank, sold die cast aluminium body, looks the part. I can get a mint 2hnd one for around R2k.

Looks like this:

Espresso_Light_Blue_1024x1024.jpg?v=1376

We had one (sold it though) - agents were Hummingbird Coffee (IIRC) in Jozi. 

We had one (sold it though) - agents were Hummingbird Coffee (IIRC) in Jozi. 

What was it like and how long did you have it for?

No idea. But it looks good and if it works ok, I would not be too concerned about repairs at R2k. If it lasts you 6 months you're out of luck, but if it lasts another 2 years then you got a good deal.

In any case, repairs will most like be more than what it cost you.

That's what I am concerned about, buying a machine that will be worth scrap metal if it breaks. You must be able to mod/hack these machines, are there no universal kind of parts/suppliers for mechanical stuff like pumps?

What was it like and how long did you have it for?

It was good. Liked to be warmed up nicely before doing anything decent. We had it for about 2 years. Never missed a beat, but only one in the household knew how to use it, so wasn't really workable - coffee isn't a privilege, it's a necessity!

It was good. Liked to be warmed up nicely before doing anything decent. We had it for about 2 years. Never missed a beat, but only one in the household knew how to use it, so wasn't really workable - coffee isn't a privilege, it's a necessity!

That's also one point I read about them, needs 20mins to heat up?

That's like heating an oven wonder how much electricity that uses, 2-3 times a day may start getting a little costly relative to a 3min kettle boil.

Bump!

I know the old importer vaguely - I have his details under his name in my phone which I can't remember...- Ascaso have a huge web site with all their spares in spain (and for many other brands as well) - they are easy to deal with online http://www.ascaso.com/div-spare-parts-machinery-hospitality/home.html

There is another crowd - Liquid international that now have the agency I think - but Ascaso is not their main brand.

From memory that machine uses a thermoblock as a boiler - (you can check this) if it does then you will struggle to change that - if it uses their small 200ml odd boiler then you can change the thermostat to a PID and that works a lot better.

I know the old importer vaguely - I have his details under his name in my phone which I can't remember...- Ascaso have a huge web site with all their spares in spain (and for many other brands as well) - they are easy to deal with online http://www.ascaso.com/div-spare-parts-machinery-hospitality/home.html

There is another crowd - Liquid international that now have the agency I think - but Ascaso is not their main brand.

From memory that machine uses a thermoblock as a boiler - (you can check this) if it does then you will struggle to change that - if it uses their small 200ml odd boiler then you can change the thermostat to a PID and that works a lot better.

Thanks, http://www.liquidinternational.co.za/contactus/contactus.html

They have spares, the pump R600 (apparently universal item used on many makes/models) and heater R3000. They used import them and then someone else got the rights and that company folded, no one currently bringing them in. Lady I spoke to said they are pretty rugged, they hardly ever get need for the heater and the pump is universal so no issue there.

I have one. Try and get one with the bigger shower screen/brewhead (not for pods). They're better. But not sure if they came to SA. I've converted mine over. Pic of it on pg190 of this thread.

I get my spares from http://www.bluestarcoffee.eu/

They're normally cheaper than ascaso.

I have had one of these for about 4 years now

http://www.delonghi.com/en-za/products/coffee/coffee-makers/bean-to-cup/ecam-23210w-0132213095

Really simple machine and a decent price, I think it was around 3K when I bought it. It has now been upgraded to my "take on holiday" and camping etc coffee machine, as I bought a house with one of these built in.

https://www.whirlpool.co.za/r/products/kitchen-home-additions/fully-automatic-built-in-coffee-machine-ace-102-ixl/852210201100

It may be fair to say that the machine is the reason I bought the house. I would never out of my own pocket spend 25K on a coffee machine but hey, it makes a damn good cuppa! 

I have also found that buying 1kg bags of beans from Woolworths is the best value for money I can get. They have pretty decent coffee too, again spending 400 bucks on a bag of coffee beans doesn't fit my budget

1. Melitta Caffeo Barista TS: The best bean-to-cup machine

Price when reviewed: £999

If you want the best bean-to-cup machine, the Melitta Caffeo Barista TS comes highly recommended. I've always been a firm believer that manual machines give you more control and the best-quality coffee, but I'm happy to say that this machine has beaten all of my expectations and produces exceptional coffee that's every bit as good (if not better) than from a manual machine. As well as regular espresso and long drinks, the Caffeo Barista can automatically steam and pour milk for perfect cappucinos and lattes: all available from the touch of a button. With two bean hoppers, so you can have a variety of coffee on the go, user profiles that members of your house can tweak to get coffee the way they want it and incredibly simple maintenance, this really is the king of automatic machines.

Read our full Melitta Caffeo Barista TS review 

Key specs - Dimensions (HxWxD): 365 x 255 x 465mm, Water capacity: 1.8L, Cup warmer?: Yes, Milk frothing: Yes (automatic), Adjustable grind: Yes, Adjustable strength: Yes (five steps)

BUY NOW: Melitta Caffeo Barrista TS from Amazon

Bought this machine .All of the above is correct !

1. Melitta Caffeo Barista TS: The best bean-to-cup machine

Price when reviewed: £999

If you want the best bean-to-cup machine, the Melitta Caffeo Barista TS comes highly recommended. I've always been a firm believer that manual machines give you more control and the best-quality coffee, but I'm happy to say that this machine has beaten all of my expectations and produces exceptional coffee that's every bit as good (if not better) than from a manual machine. As well as regular espresso and long drinks, the Caffeo Barista can automatically steam and pour milk for perfect cappucinos and lattes: all available from the touch of a button. With two bean hoppers, so you can have a variety of coffee on the go, user profiles that members of your house can tweak to get coffee the way they want it and incredibly simple maintenance, this really is the king of automatic machines.

Read our full Melitta Caffeo Barista TS review 

Key specs - Dimensions (HxWxD): 365 x 255 x 465mm, Water capacity: 1.8L, Cup warmer?: Yes, Milk frothing: Yes (automatic), Adjustable grind: Yes, Adjustable strength: Yes (five steps)

BUY NOW: Melitta Caffeo Barrista TS from Amazon

We have one of these .All of the above review is correct
Edited by Blitzer

Right, pulled the trigger on a Jura E6.

It better be good or I'm coming after you acolytes!

Looking forward to your feedback on the E6 - it's on my wishlist..