Coffee machine

Was down in Umhlanga last week and on the promenade there is a small coffee shop. Called Jacksonville coffee. Its a local family that started their own business. They roast and sell themselves. They have 3 small shops. Really not bad at all. Their mocca they add what looked like a chocolate paste(kinda like nutella) and it was lekker.

Anyone ever tried their coffee?

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys FYI, we (at Truth.) are one of the few artisan roasters who use a destoner. It uses an airlift to only allow coffee into a chamber, holding back stones and it even has magnets to keep out bits of wire. Besides that, like all speciality coffee, the green beans are hand sorted in country. However, every few years, a "stone" with a similar mass and size will get through all of these systems. And for that, we humbly apologise. @manwithnoname can we please make it up to you?

Coffee does have the odd rock in it sometimes - most decent grinders it means just a simple burr change out for new ones at worst - I have had 2 rocks in about 20 years..... both times I just put in new burrs, although arguably on the one occasion it was not completely necessary. (bought the burrs before opening it... :) )

I suspect that for you this is not possible without the help of  the local Breville service agents..... who they are I have no idea - try googling replacement burrs for your grinder and see if you can find some - ebay maybe?.

I bought a bag of beans from truth and it had a pebble in it! Almost killed my breville machine.

Big mission to get it cleaned post and now it sounds like it IS grinding rocks!

Anyone else had a similar experience? Or worse, a repeat experience?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

See David's post above - chat to him :)

Finally i can post a proper post on this thread. So this happened yesterday afternoon (please see pictures below :D). Unfortunately i had prior arrangements last night with the wifey and some friends, so I had to wait until this morning to start playing around with it. I knew from the start it will take some grinding to dial in the shots, but it kind off hurt to throw so much coffee away.  "Eye on the prize" and what felt like an eternity i finally pulled a shot worth while. It might have just been the excitement of the whole experience, but i promise you it was one of the best shots I've ever tasted (or just the sour ones prior to that one).  This was then screwed up with my pathetic attempt at frothing the milk, but its all good. This is where my journey begins. I have to give a shout out to the guys at koldserve for doing me a solid one with this machine, their service and support was truly amazing.  

WOW that looks so cool.

You are welcome to pop around to my office to drink coffee sometime (this is a standing invite to thread participants) and we can talk coffee and see if we can get your frothing going quickly... I am not the worlds best frother, but happy to try help anytime.

I will take you up on that offer at some point, will take any help i can get. I think i need to attend a intro barista course at some point. For now though i will just enjoy playing around a bit and pretend i know what i am doing (YouTube makes you feel educated :whistling:).

Was down in Umhlanga last week and on the promenade there is a small coffee shop. Called Jacksonville coffee. Its a local family that started their own business. They roast and sell themselves. They have 3 small shops. Really not bad at all. Their mocca they add what looked like a chocolate paste(kinda like nutella) and it was lekker.

They've had a stall at the midmar mile for the last two or three years. I enjoy their coffee and they are always up for a chat

Hi guys FYI, we (at Truth.) are one of the few artisan roasters who use a destoner. It uses an airlift to only allow coffee into a chamber, holding back stones and it even has magnets to keep out bits of wire. Besides that, like all speciality coffee, the green beans are hand sorted in country. However, every few years, a "stone" with a similar mass and size will get through all of these systems. And for that, we humbly apologise. @manwithnoname can we please make it up to you?

David showing everyone else how its done again!

I keep telling myself that next time Im in CT Im going to pop past and say hi but always run out of time before that happens. Next time I will try harder.

Thanks @iteachcoffee. I have sent you a pm on tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I will take you up on that offer at some point, will take any help i can get. I think i need to attend a intro barista course at some point. For now though i will just enjoy playing around a bit and pretend i know what i am doing (YouTube makes you feel educated :whistling:).

Go chat to Belinda at Flynn Coffee in Kramerville about doing a course, she is offering training from her store. 

They've had a stall at the midmar mile for the last two or three years. I enjoy their coffee and they are always up for a chat

Also sampled their coffee at the start of Sani2C - had a stall up at Glencairn.

Lekker brownies too!

A long time ago someone seemed surprised at why this thread is in the Training, Health and Nutrition section.

Wonder no more:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/may/25/drinking-coffee-may-help-prevent-liver-cancer-study-suggests

It's quite a hefty study.

People love complaining in live, he should have just been happy he found this thread :D

Sounds interesting, they should define a cup of coffee though. This cant be based on instant coffee, that stuff is toxic for the soul

We know everyone here loves a good brew and making it in the comfort of your own home.

We’re running the perfect competition for you guys and girls - You could WIN the ultimate cyclists’ coffee machine - a Rocket Appartamento, worth R26 500 (pictured below)! Check out the competition details here and get your entry in:  https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/articles/competitions/competition-win-a-rocket-espresso-machine-with-versus-socks-r6593

post-63863-0-28002400-1496064650_thumb.png

Also sampled their coffee at the start of Sani2C - had a stall up at Glencairn.

Lekker brownies too!

And their kiosk in Umhlanga opens at 6:30 am. Nothing like a fresh brownie and coffee while Walking on the promenade at sunrise.

Time to pull the trigger on a machine. BUT I know squat about these things and how they work. Need some help please.

Up till now my moka pot and plunger style milk frother has sufficed for me. My wife has a Jura impressa xs9 at work(well not her but the office) and she is not really a coffee drinker so never used it. She recently took a liking to chai tea and I was frothing milk for her and she was happy. This week she comes home and tunes me I am k@k at frothing milk and her jura impressa xs9 does it much better, so I am fired. She then proceeds to tell me that we can get a coffee machine but it must have a milk frother like this jura. 

I don't have the bucks to buy something that expensive, besides it would be overkill for us anyway. I don't want to get some cheap thing that is going to leak or ruin the coffee to the extent that it taste how I imagine instant coffee tastes. If possible it must(read would prefer) be in about the 4k range.

What are my options?

I see you can buy a frother on its own but they seem expensive for just a frother.

Also note I get a 20% discount with takealot so if there is anything decent there I could save a few zars.

I know this belongs in the classifieds, but given that it's coffee related, it's worth taking a chance. Even though it's not the real thing, it can be for those on a low budget.

If anyone is interested in the following items, these are being sold off by my company at really good prices - most items are identical to the Russell Hobbs brand.

Coffee machine - R750

76623847395bc32753687aaa0744fd26.jpg

Frother - R470

1d9083fa3b4c3082916f5b7421de8a0d.jpg

Grinder - R675

82976aa3852d3dcb449ad2e06a04b386.jpg

Mineral Pots (filtered water) - R240

5ea37a3fcdbc30908b577290a2c258b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk