Coffee machine

This portable coffee grinder on eBay looks very promising, ceramic burr grinder for R120 incl shipping, ordered one today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceramic-Burr-Manual-Coffee-Grinder-Portable-Hand-Crank-Stainless-Coffee-Mill-New-/332127344890

I often look on Amazon for reviews of eBay stuff and these are all over Amazon under various guises and get good reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Professional-Stainless-Operated-Espresso/dp/B017M9A1N2/ref=sr_1_6

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W47J1EI/ref=psdc_14092841_t1_B013R3Q7B2

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This portable coffee grinder on eBay looks very promising, ceramic burr grinder for R120 incl shipping, ordered one today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceramic-Burr-Manual-Coffee-Grinder-Portable-Hand-Crank-Stainless-Coffee-Mill-New-/332127344890

I often look on Amazon for reviews of eBay stuff and these are all over Amazon under various guises and get good reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Professional-Stainless-Operated-Espresso/dp/B017M9A1N2/ref=sr_1_6

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W47J1EI/ref=psdc_14092841_t1_B013R3Q7B2

i had one, its not a porlex no doubt, but was good for a cheaper option. i think i did post a picture of a few pages back

i had one, its not a porlex no doubt, but was good for a cheaper option. i think i did post a picture of a few pages back

Where did you get one from and how much did you pay?

Apart from the grind what is the build quality like?

Hi coffee junkies,

My loyal entry level Krups espresso machine packed-up after 2.5 years of service - it just can't reach the required temperatures so the coffee and the frof milk come out very, let's say, ***.

This happened 7 months ago and I've deprived myself and my gorgeous woman of a decent capuccino in the mornings. Why? Because I've been trying to find something similar in that price range (R2,000 when bought it at Boardmans in 2013) with a porta filter and wand.

Also, times have changed and it looks like for home use is either pods or fully automated bean to cup machines. Although Nespressos can be found at the above price range for ecological and other reasons we've decided not to go that route, so that leaves the fully automated ones.

So, I decided to bite the bullet and allocated a budget of R8,000 for a new machine. I've narrowed down the following models:

Delonghi ESAM4500 R7,999.99 - Hirsch's
Philips SAECO 3100 series HD 8834/01 - R7,799.99 Hirsch's

After extensive research I can't make up my mind. There doesn't seem to be that much difference and one thing that's tipping the scale towards the Philips is the warranty (2 years versus 1 of the Delonghi).

What's your opinions?

Anyone try the coffee from WW? They do fresh roasted beans in some stores, I just got some Kilimanjaro beans at their Eastgate store

Anyone try the coffee from WW? They do fresh roasted beans in some stores, I just got some Kilimanjaro beans at their Eastgate store

Woolworths? 

Do they have a roaster in store? 

I know they were running a micro roasting project. The beans o bought were roasted on the 8th June. They had about four variants.

I know they were running a micro roasting project. The beans o bought were roasted on the 8th June. They had about four variants.

Ah ok, thats quite cool. 

Doubt they roasting in the store but very cool. Will try it out

Hi coffee junkies,

My loyal entry level Krups espresso machine packed-up after 2.5 years of service - it just can't reach the required temperatures so the coffee and the frof milk come out very, let's say, ***.

This happened 7 months ago and I've deprived myself and my gorgeous woman of a decent capuccino in the mornings. Why? Because I've been trying to find something similar in that price range (R2,000 when bought it at Boardmans in 2013) with a porta filter and wand.

Also, times have changed and it looks like for home use is either pods or fully automated bean to cup machines. Although Nespressos can be found at the above price range for ecological and other reasons we've decided not to go that route, so that leaves the fully automated ones.

So, I decided to bite the bullet and allocated a budget of R8,000 for a new machine. I've narrowed down the following models:

After extensive research I can't make up my mind. There doesn't seem to be that much difference and one thing that's tipping the scale towards the Philips is the warranty (2 years versus 1 of the Delonghi).

What's your opinions?

If you looking for a decent entry level manual machine with frother. The Breville Cafe Venezia can be had for R3.5K. You will need a decent grinder to go with it though.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Edited by gazzacpt

Hi coffee junkies,

What's your opinions?

If you looking for a decent entry level manual machine with frother. The Breville Cafe Venezia can be had for R3.5K. You will need a decent grinder to go with it though.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

I just got one of these over the weekend. Got the Krups Burr grinder (R800) to go with it. So far it seems like a nice little machine, I think a different grinder might be needed in the future though. Now to figure out how it all works and try not to overdose on caffeine while testing.

However, just after buying the Breville I saw this on special at Dion Wired. Don't know anything about the brand but it's within the price ranges you mentioned above so it might be worth looking at  http://www.dionwired.co.za/catalog/product/view/id/17700/category/150/ 

Hi coffee junkies,

What's your opinions?

I recently bought one of these and Im happy with it:

https://www.takealot.com/melitta-caffeo-solo-fully-automatic-coffee-machine/PLID38338475

I sort out the milk frothing with my old school wonder:

https://www.yuppiechef.com/bialetti-coffee.htm?id=1261&name=Bialetti-Tuttocrema-Stovetop-Milk-Frother