• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aeropress is about ZAR999 locally.

Need a good burr grinder for best results

1 hour ago, Cardio Goth said:

I've found the simplest way to make really good coffee is pour overs, and the benefit is that you can slowly upgrade your equipment piecemeal as you get more and more into it. I started with a Hario V60, a cheap burr grinder, a *** scale and a 'normal' kettle.

Then the grinder died and I replaced it with a Timemore C3 manual grinder. Immediate improvement due to more accurate grind sizing.

Then the scale died, and it was replaced by a Timemore Black Mirror (I'm not a Timemore fanboy, my wife bought it without my input) - the instant display, precision and ability to time pours also made an immediate improvement.

Then the kettle died, and it was replaced by a Fellow Stagg. Another instant improvement due to the precision and temperature control.

I haven't replaced the V60, because I haven't needed to, but I did add a Kallita Wave to try out.  

Pair the above with good beans, a good process and a willing to experiment and you've got a pretty repeatable good cup of coffee as well as, just as importantly, the flexibility to get the most out of any specific bean.    

Agreed - Hario pourover + hario filters = the easiest & cheapest way to make good coffee.

You can even use the supermarket ground coffee lurking at the back of the cupboard, it is that foolproof  

41 minutes ago, nonky said:

Aeropress is about ZAR999 locally.

Need a good burr grinder for best results

My porlex burrs have given up the ghost - any recommendations on a good replacement, I need the finer grind option for Turkish coffee as well.

12 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

My porlex burrs have given up the ghost - any recommendations on a good replacement, I need the finer grind option for Turkish coffee as well.

Timemore C3. Best manual grinder I've ever used.

35 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

The Rancilio Rocky is about the best grinder (can grind fine enough for espresso) at a "reasonable" (R6,500) price.  Unfortunately, good grinders are expensive.

capecoffeebeans is a good website to check out for info but search the web for specials.

If your budget doesn't stretch that far, consider a good hand grinder (R1.5k+) or, at a push, a Krupps burr grinder (R1300).

7 minutes ago, nonky said:

The Rancilio Rocky is about the best grinder (can grind fine enough for espresso) at a "reasonable" (R6,500) price.  Unfortunately, good grinders are expensive.

capecoffeebeans is a good website to check out for info but search the web for specials.

If your budget doesn't stretch that far, consider a good hand grinder (R1.5k+) or, at a push, a Krupps burr grinder (R1300).

Thanks - only hand grinder required at present - I have a Mazzer SJ for my espresso 🙂

Aeropresses selling for R600 at the moment on More Flavour's website, as far as I know they are the distributors of Aeropress and Timemore etc in SA.

1 hour ago, Rockid said:

Aeropresses selling for R600 at the moment on More Flavour's website, as far as I know they are the distributors of Aeropress and Timemore etc in SA.

Oh wow, what a bargain. I’ve got the original and the Go, would definitely recommend it.

6 hours ago, Rockid said:

i just checked i bought my aeropress in 2015 and it was R565 so that's a "great price" considering

I use an 1ZPresso J Max hand grinder. As I usually only make cofee for myself its worth the little effort. Does any grind from filter to espresso. Better to buy a good hand grinder than buy a poor electric grinder. Grinds up to 40g easily. When making filter coffee I grind 30+30g for a litre of water. I use Latte Art for my supplier.

Edited by Cippo