Coffee machine

Didn't say coffee was a no no just that coffee machine reviews dont belong under training and nutrition :huh:

Coffee and a rusk usualy goes down well second thing in the morning

No

Never heard of a coffee ride, is that like when you stop halfway for a barone and coke?

I am not gonna ask whats first :eek: , but anyway, around my house, coffee and a rusk is most certainly number one priority in the morning :D - but of course I am old and need a bit of a kick start. :D

This morning I think I did a coffee ride, 30 kms out, a coffee and croissant at Fournos and 30 kms back, I left at roughly 8.15am and clocked back into my front door at exactly 11,05am. :rolleyes:

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't say coffee was a no no just that coffee machine reviews dont belong under training and nutrition :huh:

Coffee and a rusk usualy goes down well second thing in the morning

No

Never heard of a coffee ride, is that like when you stop halfway for a barone and coke?

See Grumpy's post ;)

I am not gonna ask whats first :eek: , but anyway, around my house, coffee and a rusk is most certainly number one priority in the morning :D - but of course I am old and need a bit of a kick start. :D

This morning I think I did a coffee ride, 30 kms out, a coffee and croissant at Fournos and 30 kms back, I left at roughly 8.15am and clocked back into my front door at exactly 11,05am. :rolleyes:

You got it Grumps :lol: :thumbup:

A social slow ride, lots of chatting and a nice cup of coffee to finish (or get you back...)

Coffee should be an integral part of any cycling training program :P

See Grumpy's post ;)

You got it Grumps :lol: :thumbup:

A social slow ride, lots of chatting and a nice cup of coffee to finish (or get you back...)

Coffee should be an integral part of any cycling training program :P

Count me in .... !

I am not gonna ask whats first :eek: ,

but anyway, around my house, coffee and a rusk is most certainly number one priority in the morning :D - but of course I am old and need a bit of a kick start. :D

First thing is to point percy at the porcelain

I guess i could handle a coffee ride under the right circumstances....like a good sea view, beach, waves, surfing, bikinis but alas i guess i live on the wrong part of the planet for that

Edited by SwissVan

Speaking of coffee rides - dunno if there's been a post on this before at the hub, but there's research to suggest that a cup or two of coffee, on an empty stomach, before a morning workout (or ride!) has some pretty amazing benefits. The coffee should not contain sugar, and you should not eat anything (particularly carbs) before or during your ride - just drink plain water.

The idea is that the coffee "turns off" the metabolic process that leads to glycogen depletion (hitting the wall, aka "the bonk"), so that your body starts to burn fat from the start. I've been for quite long rides (3 hrs +) without any difficulties, but then I have plenty of fat to burn :whistling:

The researchers stress that the quality of the coffee is critical...

Have a look for yourself - there's a lengthy video interview with the oke behind the research, Ori Hofmekler, and a summary by Dr Mercola, here: http://articles.merc...-on-coffee.aspx and another article here: http://thefitnesschr...workout-drinks/

Cheers!

Edited by GBguy

Dunno if there's been a post on this before at the hub, but there's research to suggest that a cup or two of coffee, on an empty stomach, before a morning workout (or ride!) has some pretty amazing benefits. The coffee should not contain sugar, and you should not eat anything (particularly carbs) before or during your ride - just drink plain water.

The idea is that the coffee "turns off" the metabolic process that leads to glycogen depletion (hitting the wall, aka "the bonk"), so that your body starts to burn fat from the start. I've been for quite long rides (3 hrs +) without any difficulties.

Have a look for yourself - there's a lengthy video interview with the oke behind the research, Ori Hofmekler, and a summary by Dr Mercola, here: http://articles.merc...-on-coffee.aspx and another article here: http://thefitnesschr...workout-drinks/

Cheers!

Sounds like all the justification I need ... pour me another ;)

Speaking of coffee rides - dunno if there's been a post on this before at the hub, but there's research to suggest that a cup or two of coffee, on an empty stomach, before a morning workout (or ride!) has some pretty amazing benefits. The coffee should not contain sugar, and you should not eat anything (particularly carbs) before or during your ride - just drink plain water.

The idea is that the coffee "turns off" the metabolic process that leads to glycogen depletion (hitting the wall, aka "the bonk"), so that your body starts to burn fat from the start. I've been for quite long rides (3 hrs +) without any difficulties, but then I have plenty of fat to burn :whistling:

Cheers!

There's also some evidence that caffeine helps with post-exercise recovery:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080701083456.htm

Anybody here use a Miele machine? Looking at the CM5200.

One of my friends had one....would punch out espresso after espresso for dinner parties. He was Portuguese, so the men used to hang in the kitchen.

The espresso's it made were good, and the cappucino's were also very good. It is probably as good as it will get without having a barrista to make them. It is very idiot proof.

If you don't enjoy the process of making coffee, this is the way. It does require some cleaning every now and then, but that goes with every machine.You will not be disappointed if you buy this.

It is a seriously expensive machine at R16000 but the ease of use and also the 50000 cup promise seems to make it a winner. Also the only company I could find that offers a 2 year warranty on the machine.

And it looks awesome. Like you say the coffee that comes out of it is as close to Barrista made as you could get. The machiato I had from the demo machine was the best cup of coffee I ever had.

Thinking of getting a DeLonghi ECAM 23.450 (around R6500)... anyone heard any good/bad?

Tested a few machines on Sunday. The DeLonghi's came really really short in producing a good cup of coffee. The mild setting created this odd watery brew with a burnt taste. Did not like it at all.

Are the "Auto" machines (Bean to cup?) able to run on manual so to speak? I believe that the secret to a good cup of coffee is water temperature and exposure time of the coffee to the water. With a manual machine you can adjust the amount of coffe that you use as well as the lenght of time that it is in contact with the water/steam to vary the results. Are you able to do this with an auto/one touch machine?

Edited by Grebel

Are the "Auto" machines (Bean to cup?) able to run on manual so to speak? I believe that the secret to a good cup of coffee is water temperature and exposure time of the coffee to the water. With a manual machine you can adjust the amount of coffe that you use as well as the lenght of time that it is in contact with the water/steam to vary the results. Are you able to do this with an auto/one touch machine?

Maybe on some models of Super Automatics.

On our Jura Imprezza F50 you have mild/normal/strong, where it grinds more coffee or less.

Then you can adjust the grind but I haven't found that to really work.

Can't remember if there's a temp option, think so but very small range, more help in terms of hotter/colder coffee.

I don't think too many of those swanky machines you find in Home etc are designed to last

Why not get a decent commercial mini espresso machine if you are going to spend muchos moola?

like a La San Marco

http://www.lasanmarco.it/media/foto_prodotti/85flexae/gallery/med/1.jpg

Adriatic Catering bring them in.