Coffee machine

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can citric acid be used in any machine? I have a a saeco bean to cup machine, I also have about 50kg of citric acid at any given time...

I never knew it was possible to descale with citric acid! It makes life a lot easier if I can use it in my machine.

I have a Delonghi, and have been using citric acid from day 1 descale day 1. If Ferrero (the Italian Confectionery company) can use it in their machines (big machines that make those little mints called Tic-Tac), then I'm sure it's good enough for most machine - that's where I learnt about citric acid. That said, they used hydrogen peroxide in their Gaggia coffee machine, as it was under a service agreement with the supplier.

1 tbsp of citric acid per 1 litre of water should work fine.

I have a Delonghi, and have been using citric acid from day 1 descale day 1. If Ferrero (the Italian Confectionery company) can use it in their machines (big machines that make those little mints called Tic-Tac), then I'm sure it's good enough for most machine - that's where I learnt about citric acid. That said, they used hydrogen peroxide in their Gaggia coffee machine, as it was under a service agreement with the supplier.

1 tbsp of citric acid per 1 litre of water should work fine.

Great, thanks for confirming that. Gonna use it from now on.

My Nespresso machine no longer gives me the thrills it used to, and I am loving by Bialetti again. But working from home, I want to walk into the kitchen, push a button, get coffee and be done. So am torn between the convenience of the one and the quality of the other.

I have been window shopping for a bean to cup machine for a while now. It would just be an espresso machine as I didn't want the machine to do frothy milk (it doesn't seem to achieve the right micro bubble texture in my limited experience).

I can't afford a machine right now, but when I can, I wanted to be in a position to pounce with a budget under R10k, I narrowed it down to one or two machines.

Then I got caught up on this thread and various other articles and blogs etc and came to understand the importance of a good grinder. And I wondered how many integrated machines have a burr grinder that's 'good enough' for proper espresso?

I use '  ' because opinions vary on grinders - R1800 is 'OK' to nothing less than R5k for an espresso machine.

Would I be better off with stand alone grinder and a separate espresso machine? And then if I really wanted milk, I learn to use the steam wand (or heaven forbid, just use the Nespresso frother). But then I realised that I am back to labour intensive coffee again (albeit of good quality).

So, my dilemma is a bit fictitious for me at the moment, but my question still stands: Which machine has a 'good enough' burr grinder ?

Edit: This may have been discussed over the previous 350 pages, so I apologise for the question if it's a repeat.

Edited by splat

Spent last night on Table Mountain and woke up to this!

Best thing is with left over ground coffee I got to use my brikka. Which doesn't go up the mountain, and doesn't get used nearly enough.

post-23715-0-73696200-1562242493_thumb.jpg

post-23715-0-03431900-1562242698_thumb.jpg

My Nespresso machine no longer gives me the thrills it used to, and I am loving by Bialetti again. But working from home, I want to walk into the kitchen, push a button, get coffee and be done. So am torn between the convenience of the one and the quality of the other.

I have been window shopping for a bean to cup machine for a while now. It would just be an espresso machine as I didn't want the machine to do frothy milk (it doesn't seem to achieve the right micro bubble texture in my limited experience).

I can't afford a machine right now, but when I can, I wanted to be in a position to pounce with a budget under R10k, I narrowed it down to one or two machines.

Then I got caught up on this thread and various other articles and blogs etc and came to understand the importance of a good grinder. And I wondered how many integrated machines have a burr grinder that's 'good enough' for proper espresso?

I use '  ' because opinions vary on grinders - R1800 is 'OK' to nothing less than R5k for an espresso machine.

Would I be better off with stand alone grinder and a separate espresso machine? And then if I really wanted milk, I learn to use the steam wand (or heaven forbid, just use the Nespresso frother). But then I realised that I am back to labour intensive coffee again (albeit of good quality).

So, my dilemma is a bit fictitious for me at the moment, but my question still stands: Which machine has a 'good enough' burr grinder ?

Edit: This may have been discussed over the previous 350 pages, so I apologise for the question if it's a repeat.

I am no where near an expert but my new(to me at least. it's 2nd hand) Jura XF50 is serving me well. From what I have been told and read, the grinder is not bad for an "all in one" option. I can set my grind but I don't know enough about what a different grind does so have left it in the middle. One day I will play with the grind and see what it does. I paid R5750 for it.

Aeropress and a good hand grinder.... won't do the capp but does an espresso analog very well.

What's an "esspresso analogue" and how do you do it with an Aeropress? I use mine alot with my porlex grinder, but can't say I've ever gotten anything near an espresso. Great Americano/long black, but never close to espresso.

What's an "esspresso analogue" and how do you do it with an Aeropress? I use mine alot with my porlex grinder, but can't say I've ever gotten anything near an espresso. Great Americano/long black, but never close to espresso.

Aeropress and a good hand grinder.... won't do the capp but does an espresso analog very well.

I would also like to know.  You don't get crema and the cascading effect from the aeropress as far as I know?