Coffee machine

I'm more in the price range for a Hario mini slim plus or Hario skerton plus.

Hoping someone will give me feedback that has some experience with these.

I have the Gater Manual Grinder (essentially a copy/off brand version of the Hario Skerton). I use it to grind for Aeropress, Bialetti, Cleva Dripper, and its been great. Seems to keep its grind setting quite well.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot for the reply. Not huge price difference between the two. Will sleep on it some more...

I really am enjoying the labour of making coffee in the moka. The grinder will probably be the a great addition to my morning ritual.

Using a camping gas stove as I only have electric, which does not work for moka so nicely.

Shot for the reply. Not huge price difference between the two. Will sleep on it some more...

I really am enjoying the labour of making coffee in the moka. The grinder will probably be the a great addition to my morning ritual.

Using a camping gas stove as I only have electric, which does not work for moka so nicely.

I have been switching between a Moka with a camping stove and an Aeropress for the last few years paired up with a Severin grinder. I like coffee in a mug with milk so that setup suits my needs. I played with a Delonghi manual espresso for cappuccinos but was never really happy with it so went back to my old setup.

One day when I am big I might splash some cash on a proper setup. Problem is that you need to spend almost as much on a grinder as on a machine.

I bought a used Krups burr grinder on olx for less than R500 but got it for free in the end as the owner could not get it to work when he tested it before posting it to me. I got it to work and I am very happy with my morning coffees.

Freshly ground pour over. I like the taste when using a paper filter. Takes out the finer particles that I get from my Moka. Never had an Aeropress to test but happy with what I have atm and I also like the coffee making ritual every morning. May take a little longer than a machine but thats fine. Im a chilled guy????

Get beans from Crater Coffees in Parys and Coffee Country in Potchefstroom. Both roast their own beans so I have some options locally.

Lots to learn and test.

Hey guys. 

So i just bought myself a Saeco auto machine. So far so good. 

Just wanted to ask what the story with the grinder settings is. At the moment i have it set in the middle of the road, but whats the best way to go (a finer grind or more coarse). 

Depends on many things - but do some testing on taste - full fine, middle and full course - then you can see which you like and fine tune around there.

I generally reccomend starting at full fine if you use Arabica beans - and stay away from very dark roasts and oily beans - you will just give yourself a maintenance nightmare.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear fellow hubbers.

I've set my sights on a Jura S8 and want to order on Monday so that it can be delivered on Tuesday. I've been threatening to pull the trigger on a good automatic machine for the past couple of years already and ultimately narrowed it down to the Jura E8, however decided the S8 might be an even nice option. :)

Any comments (good, bad & ugly) in this regard, together with possible other recommendations in the same price range or for less?

Dear fellow hubbers.

I've set my sights on a Jura S8 and want to order on Monday so that it can be delivered on Tuesday. I've been threatening to pull the trigger on a good automatic machine for the past couple of years already and ultimately narrowed it down to the Jura E8, however decided the S8 might be an even nice option. :)

Any comments (good, bad & ugly) in this regard, together with possible other recommendations in the same price range or for less?

Both machines looks similar in function, the S8 just seems to have a fancier screen and cost a whole lot more...

Dear fellow hubbers.

Identical internals means exactly the same coffee quality drink. S8 is more refined though. Some plastic accents are now metal and the touch screen compared to LCD on the E8. Depending on price difference, I wouldn’t stretch too far for the S8 if it were me.

I love my Jura automatic machine. It’s over 8 years old now. Works perfectly still. I have taken it twice in for service and the service I received was next level! It even made the move with me to Dubai.

Any tips on cleaning a severely clogged up porta filler basket? I bought a cheap second hand Saeco machine to keep at work. Works perfectly except for the basket that was probably never cleaned by the previous owner.

A good soak, do you know anyone with a machine that might have some detergent? Or pop into a coffee shop and ask them for some.

@Grebel

You are a legend! Those tampers you made are the best I've owned and used, after asking (wiling to pay for) he sent me one a new a handle at no cost which i missed used and broke.

Speak to him to hook you up guys

I concur. Has pride and place in my kit and the only one I use.

I dropped mine and chipped the base, don't think it hampers performance though.

Looks good and does the job as well

A good soak, do you know anyone with a machine that might have some detergent? Or pop into a coffee shop and ask them for some.

Soaked it in some vinegar and then used the pointy mcthingy to clean the 1000 holes. Works perfectly now.