Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

Dig the black. I did mine even if the grip is a bit less than my 5.10s. The sizing is a bit odd. Im a 10 in regular sneakers and the RCs in a 10 is a tad snug. Maybe just the stiffness of new shoes and i’ve only done two rides so far.

Happy so far.

I was very unimpressed with the FiveTens, had to replace them in like 5 or 6 months as they were worn through.l, by which point the supplier refused to honor the warranty.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was very unimpressed with the FiveTens, had to replace them in like 5 or 6 months as they were worn through.l, by which point the supplier refused to honor the warranty.

Which 5.10's? There is a big difference between for instance the Impacts and Freerider soles, how thick they are and stiffness.

I had 2 pairs of freeriders, first one was replaced under warranty. Second pair lasted a shorter time than the first. Gave up and moved on eventually.

Which 5.10's? There is a big difference between for instance the Impacts and Freerider soles, how thick they are and stiffness.

Free rider pro

My impact pros are pretty sweet.

I had 2 pairs of freeriders, first one was replaced under warranty. Second pair lasted a shorter time than the first. Gave up and moved on eventually.

what are you rocking now?

I have a pair of Freeriders and Impact XVI's. The Freeriders are like takkies, while the Impacts have a ridiculously solid, stiff, thick rubber sole, so I wouldn't class all 5.10's together. Actually took me a couple week to get used to the the Impacts, didn't like them at all initially as there was no feedback through my feet, but I've grown to love them and I know they will last for a good couple more years.

I have a pair of Freeriders and Impact XVI's. The Freeriders are like takkies, while the Impacts have a ridiculously solid, stiff, thick rubber sole, so I wouldn't class all 5.10's together. Actually took me a couple week to get used to the the Impacts, didn't like them at all initially as there was no feedback through my feet, but I've grown to love them and I know they will last for a good couple more years.

Ja I also love my impacts!

Been waiting for these for a while, the Ions have been getting a bit loose in the tooth, they will be migrated to daily shoes.

4ec67def3cdfbbbb3f6d199aa6d44fea.jpg

Interested to hear how the RC's hold up. One of the big cycling and adventure sport retailers here in NZ has slowly been reducing their 5.10 stock and their shelves are filling up with RC offereings.

I'm a big fan of 5.10's and as you say, they are not all equal. I've had 8 pairs in total over the years:

• 1x Impact Sam Hill Editions - First pair. Life changing being on proper flats. Loved them, but clunky.
  • 2x Red Barons - Was I was a big fan. Soles wore thin in the ball area though, so bought 2nd pair.
  • 1x VXi Elements - Least favourite 5.10 flat I owned. Smooth sole idea sucked and delaminated after a while.
  • 1x Maltese Falcon - Tried to do the clip thing. It's not for me, so these got very limited use.
  • 2x Impact VXi's - Probably my favourite overall. Stiff sole, grippy as hell (loved the Mi6 rubber), light, and dry incredibly quickly between rainy/muddy riding days. Sadly they both wore out and have been discontinued, and didn't get the best reviews.
  • 1x Sleuth DLX - These were actually bought as casual shoes, but after retiring my last pair of Impact VXi's, these have become my riding shoes. Decent overall, but suede isn't the most practical for muddy trails.

As per above, with the Impact VXi's discontinued, I am trying to decide which flats to go for. I'm leaning towards the Impact Pro (as they have that rigidity I like), but they aren't exactly light (about 30% heavier than the Impact VXi's were). The Freerider Pro is also an option, but I want something a little burlier.

I never thought I would say this, but maybe it's time I try something other than a FiveTen  :ph34r: