Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

22 hours ago, Grease_Monkey said:

Give it a good few rides to get used to, you have to correct alot of bad habits when you get on flats from clipless. Your foot should also be more centered on the pedal than with clipless so you are likely going to want to slide your saddle forward on the rails and drop it by 5mm (+/-). Once you get your heel down while pedaling you will be able to ride very efficiently, even over very rocky stuff. 

Alot of cyclist see flats as the beginner option, IMO, it takes alot more skill to ride well with flats than with clipless - flats don't let you hide any bad habits. 

People underestimate how hard it is. Some even use being clipped in as a reason as to why they would be able to do a drop or a table. There is no talk of technique.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

People underestimate how hard it is. Some even use being clipped in as a reason as to why they would be able to do a drop or a table. There is no talk of technique.

I am TERRIFIED of doing drops and techy sections being clipped in, my scariest moments on clips have been doing drops and slow techy sections

On 7/2/2022 at 5:55 PM, Chadvdw67 said:

I am TERRIFIED of doing drops and techy sections being clipped in, my scariest moments on clips have been doing drops and slow techy sections

Slow techy sections... Easy fix speed up 😂 same with the drops.

I believe that speed is your friend. So going faster I don't fall because I am not scared of getting hurt, I know it's going to hurt so nothing to fear 😂

Momentum is your friend, as well as knowing the line to take.
Then moving your centre of gravity back, and lower, will help you prevent the OTB.
Once you know how, it makes the tech stuff so much easier. I guess it helps doing a skills course to learn the "how". Once I learnt how to read the line, I was amazed how easy the hard stuff was to ride.

I've given this advice a hundred times before, but de-tensioning the springs on your pedals, making it easier to clip in and out, makes clips much less scary off road. My pedals (PD-M520 Shimanos) have the springs almost completely unwound so I can clip out without thinking about it in almost any direction. If you use good technique (heels dropped) you won't unclip going down and you can still get the pedaling efficiency / fatigue benefit of being clipped in.

I don't know why people ride with their feet bolted into super tight pedals, like a few of my buddies. It makes me moer nervous to ride their bikes, even on the road.

On 7/1/2022 at 5:39 PM, ChrisF said:

In fairness .... a single 12V gell battery is meant for no more than 20A x 12V = 360W load, based on 2 and half hour load shedding ... with ENOUGH time to fully charge before the next session.

500W loads will push the battery tooooo hard.

A slow charger wont recharge it in time ... next loadshed taking it past 50% .... again shortening the battery life.

We have a 12V gell system.  Load is managed,  battery never discharged to 50%.  Fast charger takes it to 95% with the Stage 4 short charge intervals.

The battery is going on 4 years, and working perfectly.

The hard reality .... most homes use more than 350W off these systems and work the batteries hard .... then one of the lithium battery types is a MUST 👍

Nice - thanks for the info. Will look into this the next time I do something inverter related.

20 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

I've given this advice a hundred times before, but de-tensioning the springs on your pedals, making it easier to clip in and out, makes clips much less scary off road. My pedals (PD-M520 Shimanos) have the springs almost completely unwound so I can clip out without thinking about it in almost any direction. If you use good technique (heels dropped) you won't unclip going down and you can still get the pedaling efficiency / fatigue benefit of being clipped in.

I don't know why people ride with their feet bolted into super tight pedals, like a few of my buddies. It makes me moer nervous to ride their bikes, even on the road.

Im actually on the exact opposite of that spectrum.
Normally do ride flats, but when riding clips, I run them pretty tight to not clip out accidentally, and have no issues with clipping out when I have to.
Its all personal preference IMO.

1 hour ago, TyronLab said:

My pedals are set as loose as they can be, so it isn't that, I really like the clip pedals, but in some situations, especially when riding something blind, flat pedals just make me feel more comfortable 

On 6/30/2022 at 10:51 PM, patches said:

Not cycling related... not even running related (as I am far too lazy), but decided to purchase some new "work shoes".

I wear tekkies most days as I walk to and from the bus stop and run around the hospital. I only change into more formal shoes or safety-boots if I'm attending big-boy meetings or wandering around construction areas.

Ashamedly this is the 2nd most expensive footwear I have ever purchased. MX boots being first.

I know these are an overkill for walking shoes, but I just liked the look 😅

(I better grab my flame-suit for when the running thread peeps see this, haha)

cloudace_2-ss21-black_eclipse-m-g6.png?w=600&h=600&fl=progressive&q=61&bg=rgb:f7f7f7&fm=jpg

cloudace_2-ss21-black_eclipse-m-g1.png?w=600&h=600&fl=progressive&q=61&bg=rgb:f7f7f7&fm=jpg

cloudace_2-ss21-black_eclipse-m-g2.png?w=600&h=600&fl=progressive&q=61&bg=rgb:f7f7f7&fm=jpg

On Running Cloudace

These are exactly what I'm looking for, but for just under R3k, I'm not so sure. 

5 minutes ago, DJuice said:

Sort of cycling related, means no cycling purchases for the next 3 years.

Can at least watch TDF.sun.jpg.f3f78d07195017fd0268bf008da5cadf.jpg

nice.

I just can never understand why these installations are never done neatly. My OCD goes crazy when I see these installations.

1 minute ago, ouzo said:

nice.

I just can never understand why these installations are never done neatly. My OCD goes crazy when I see these installations.

I am with you!

To be honest, I went on the cheap this time round, did not make use of my preferred installer, he only works with Victron and took the cheapest quote. It is in the garage out of sight, except for when I am on the IDT.