Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

been tempted for a while now, but i'll hold out for either the RX490 which is purportedly launching soon as a stopgap to the delayed Vega, or i'll just suck it up and wait for the latter.

They'll probably slap 2 polaris chips on the 490. Same architecture just beefed up. 512 bus etc. Same thing happened when I got my R9 280x. They made the 290 using the same Hawaii chip. They just called it Hawaii XT if I remember correctly. It makes far more sense for Vega to carry its own range for the first half of 2017 rather than reserve the chip for top tier 4k capable models. This Vega talk has been very elusive. I'm assuming its more marketing hype to prevent upgraders from buying Nvidia's 1080 or something. 

I was going to get an R9 390x. I'm coming from a 384 bit card and couldn't wrap my head around dropping to one with a 256 bit bus. But the proof is in the pudding. The new Polaris chip needs less power and still out benches top of the range Hawaii chipsets. Besides. Once AMD release the first 490 reference model. It will run hot. 3rd parties will come along and make their own OC versions with custom cooling and the cycle will go on and on. So that delays a dialed card even further.

I'm not a 4k or multiple monitor gamer. I'm still using my trusty 27 inch 1080p monitor and don't intend upgrading that anytime soon. If I do it will probably just be something with a 1440 res. The RX 480 is more than enough for me. Besides. I think the 490 will more than likely cost double.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They'll probably slap 2 polaris chips on the 490. Same architecture just beefed up. 512 bus etc. Same thing happened when I got my R9 280x. They made the 290 using the same Hawaii chip. They just called it Hawaii XT if I remember correctly. It makes far more sense for Vega to carry its own range for the first half of 2017 rather than reserve the chip for top tier 4k capable models. This Vega talk has been very elusive. I'm assuming its more marketing hype to prevent upgraders from buying Nvidia's 1080 or something. 

I was going to get an R9 390x. I'm coming from a 384 bit card and couldn't wrap my head around dropping to one with a 256 bit bus. But the proof is in the pudding. The new Polaris chip needs less power and still out benches top of the range Hawaii chipsets. Besides. Once AMD release the first 490 reference model. It will run hot. 3rd parties will come along and make their own OC versions with custom cooling and the cycle will go on and on. So that delays a dialed card even further.

I'm not a 4k or multiple monitor gamer. I'm still using my trusty 27 inch 1080p monitor and don't intend upgrading that anytime soon. If I do it will probably just be something with a 1440 res. The RX 480 is more than enough for me. Besides. I think the 490 will more than likely cost double.

While the performance bump might be due to a dual chip configuration,there's the distinct possibility the RX490 might be using HBM2 which will unlock the RX480s potential. The 480 chip is stupid strong, and been badly hobbled by HBM1.

Given how well the card performs, i doubt the dual GPU card will run hot as it's not that power hungry. But as you said, even if it runs hot, its nothing a 3rd party HSF can't fix. Most times, the stock works just perfectly, but like a brand new fork that needs a service out of the box, removing the stock HSF and re-applying thermal grease does wonders. The thermal tape they often use is pretty kuk.

Stoked with my new Lyne Pulse crank. Looks the biz.

I like those wheels...wonder were you got them from...hehe

New gravity feed HVLP gun. Been wanting one of these for a while now... Cycling related as I am planning on doing a frame respray on my DH bike soon :D Not a DeVilbiss but pretty sure it will do the job... Time will tell I suppose.

attachicon.gifAuarita.PNG

I hope that is a mini gun if you are planning to spray a frame - full size gun just wastes a lot of paint and hard to manage on tubing - too much paint and it sags quickly.

You really only need a touchup gun for frames - 0.7 tip size works best for me, and 1.0 for spray filler - but I prefer to not use spray filler - epoxy primer is better if there is no fill needed.

Those tip sizes on a full size gun equate to about 1.2 and 1.8

From some poor bloke who accidentally bought a 650b frame  :P

Pyka, are you one of the old school Paarl guys - been riding for ever? Dirt jums, DH etc?

If so, then we would have crossed paths.

Pyka, are you one of the old school Paarl guys - been riding for ever? Dirt jums, DH etc?

If so, then we would have crossed paths.

Definitely not. More likely to be labeled a Paarl noob/intruder :-)