Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered off e-bay.

Tried it out when I got home from work, worked a treat on a KMC11XL as well as a 9 speed KMC chain. The claws fit easily into the 11 speed link with clearance to spare, so could possibly fit on a 12 speed as well.

kmc3.jpg

kmc4.jpg

Link china

if you're in a pinch try this

Tried the shoe lace method the other day when I was in a bind on the trail. That thing did not want to budge, so that KMC tool looks like a great option.

if you're in a pinch try this

I wouldn't use wire, you'll cut yourself if the link is stubborn. Rather use a lace and pretend you are the hillside strangler!  

eBay is a marvelous thing. These R1B shoes normally retail for around 250 pounds, best price I could find in the stores was around 180. On eBay from a dealer getting rid of stock I was the highest bidder for 99 pounds, that’s less than what the R5b goes for.

post-58227-0-06011500-1518729945_thumb.jpeg

Ordered off e-bay.

Tried it out when I got home from work, worked a treat on a KMC11XL as well as a 9 speed KMC chain. The claws fit easily into the 11 speed link with clearance to spare, so could possibly fit on a 12 speed as well.

attachicon.gifkmc3.jpg

attachicon.gifkmc4.jpg

Waiting for these pliers to arrive from US, liked the idea of being able to store spare links in the handle

post-44358-0-58275200-1518763664_thumb.jpeg

Waiting for these pliers to arrive from US, liked the idea of being able to store spare links in the handle

attachicon.gifPack Pliers.jpeg

Hope you ordered a few extras ....

Would LOVE that in my toolkit (saddlebag) !

Edited by ChrisF

Tried the shoe lace method the other day when I was in a bind on the trail. That thing did not want to budge, so that KMC tool looks like a great option.

The trick with quicklinks is to press the side plates together at the same time as pushing the pins towards each other. The pin heads are seated in a little recess in the plates (that's the 'click' you hear when installing one). If you don't press the side plates you are effectively pushing against a (minute) metal wall i.e it's going nowhere!

I made myself very popular when I got that bike for my missus  :thumbup:

So am I doing the right thing?

She's on an SCR. It's a great starter bike but it's a tad heavy and frankly it rolls like Schidt. I looked at the Envie for her but I think that's just way too racy. She likes to put in the miles but at a leisurely pace.

My missus was borrowing a 14kg steel Trek with 39x53 chainring and 11-23 cassette. As a newbie, obviously battled every hill and had to walk the odd one. very demoralising.

This bike has a compact crank and a nice wide cassette at the back - perfect for cruising the flats and spinning the climbs. Carbon frame is nice. Paintjob is lovely (very important), but the wheels are heavy. I would love to upgrade those at some point.