Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

Two weeks ago during the heat wave when the domestic wass there, she opened up all the windows and my wife turned on all the aircons (3 x 24000 BTU units) - went through R500 in two days...

Generally about R2000 a month, everything's already LED / new etc. Damn pool pump, geyser and fridges killing me!

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two weeks ago during the heat wave when the domestic wass there, she opened up all the windows and my wife turned on all the aircons (3 x 24000 BTU units) - went through R500 in two days...

Generally about R2000 a month, everything's already LED / new etc. Damn pool pump, geyser and fridges killing me!

OUCH!!!

DOUBLE OUCH!

Change your lights to LED, bro. It saves a ridonculous amount of electrickery. You may also benefit from motion sensor activated lighting in the areas which don't get visited much, but the kids keep the lights on in. 

Yeah, we're going through everything with and getting the mad waste sorted. Also getting a grid attached Solar system quoted on, the old 50 yr electric geyser replace with a fat solar one and sorting a solar pool pump and borehole pump. 

Yeah, we're going through everything with and getting the mad waste sorted. Also getting a grid attached Solar system quoted on, the old 50 yr electric geyser replace with a fat solar one and sorting a solar pool pump and borehole pump. 

Let me know once you've done proper research on a solar pool pump and grid attached electricity.

Seems Cape Town charges R400 a month to tie in to the grid and your meter doesn't oll back for units you pump into the grid.

Solar pool pumps - as far as I know this is essentially just a mini solar electricity system meant to replace some of the power the pool pump draws - just called something fancy.

https://www.sustainable.co.za/solar-900w-pool-pump-kit.html - this one has a pool pump included but it's sort of pointless, you could rather just use the electricity for your pool pump and replace other aplliances' electricity with solar panels. Else it does nothing if the pool pump is off.

Anyway, I was hoping there'd be better progress with solar roof tiles or something. (Got an asbestos roof that I'd like to replace at some point in time)

Edited by cpelser

800 to 1000, 1500 max in winter. Used to be well over 2k until the solar geysers. Done the led replacement bulbs and not impressed. The light spectrum is noce tho.

Will be adding 12v led spots outside and some modules inside. Eventually will ad a solar panel to my battery. Right now i use 4 to 6 10w led spots over 4 days to a week on the battery.

Next stem is

tell your wife she is the reason Eksdom can't provide us with enough power :P

800 to 1000, 1500 max in winter. Used to be well over 2k until the solar geysers. Done the led replacement bulbs and not impressed. The light spectrum is noce tho.

Will be adding 12v led spots outside and some modules inside. Eventually will ad a solar panel to my battery. Right now i use 4 to 6 10w led spots over 4 days to a week on the battery.

Next stem is

45mm? 

Let me know once you've done proper research on a solar pool pump and grid attached electricity.

Seems Cape Town charges R400 a month to tie in to the grid and your meter doesn't oll back for units you pump into the grid.

Solar pool pumps - as far as I know this is essentially just a mini solar electricity system meant to replace some of the power the pool pump draws - just called something fancy.

https://www.sustainable.co.za/solar-900w-pool-pump-kit.html - this one has a pool pump included but it's sort of pointless, you could rather just use the electricity for your pool pump and replace other aplliances' electricity with solar panels. Else it does nothing if the pool pump is off.

Anyway, I was hoping there'd be better progress with solar roof tiles or something. (Got an asbestos roof that I'd like to replace at some point in time)

Had a site assessment today and are having a usage monitor installed for a week to check the usage patterns and will have a system drawn up from there. Will let you know how I go. 

Had a site assessment today and are having a usage monitor installed for a week to check the usage patterns and will have a system drawn up from there. Will let you know how I go. 

Cool please do! 

As far as I remember you're also sitting with an asbestos roof, so just consider that when deciding whether to mount solar panels to the roof. 

(Older asbestos tiles can break when stepped on and is notoriously difficult to stop from leaking afterwards - I just had my roof painted -  ws R30k paint or R200k replace with cliploc - what a nightmare the painting was - Got roof rats to vacuum the roof first as well)

Cool please do! 

As far as I remember you're also sitting with an asbestos roof, so just consider that when deciding whether to mount solar panels to the roof. 

(Older asbestos tiles can break when stepped on and is notoriously difficult to stop from leaking afterwards - I just had my roof painted -  ws R30k paint or R200k replace with cliploc - what a nightmare the painting was - Got roof rats to vacuum the roof first as well)

Luckily we're Slate roofs. Still a b-ache when up there climbing about but thankfully not the big A word. 

45mm? 

Lol, didnt double check. Should of been, next item is a solar panel, but shouod if removed it

Edited by Eddy Gordo