Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

Got mine from takealot, wanted the 120ml bottle

When did they have it? I can’t see it on their site.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When did they have it? I can’t see it on their site.

Ordered on the 18th, collection would've been the 3rd Nov but it was ready yesterday.

post-22685-0-21598300-1603863527.jpg

Ripped a sidewall on my trusty old Hans Dampfs and I needed new rubber I guess. First tried the Specialized Butcher/Purgatory combo and I wasn't too impressed with the handling on the 2.6 front and 2.3 rear. Very little rebound damping on the 2.6 and I was getting a lot of chatter through the bars. To the point of getting sore wrists. 

The Onza Ibex gets pretty good reviews so it's worth a shot. Running them front and rear. Not a fan of mismatching tyres. I did look at Maxxis options but the massive yellow logos put me off. Also had bad experiences with the brand in the past so I didn't feel like a repeat. 

post-22685-0-96903700-1603863534.jpg

I wanted to upgrade from 760mm bars to 800mm and also run the EDC system from On Up without having to thread my fork. This was the perfect solution. 

I will say this... I've had the headset come loose twice now. It took a little thinking on how to keep the headset preloaded as much as possible while straightening the bars and then tightening everything. Easiest is to use a cargo strap to pull everything together. After setting the preload you bounce the bike for a couple of minutes and ride down some stairs to let everything settle. Then adjust preload again as needed. 

I trimmed my steerer down by about 3mm to ensure I don't need to use the plastic spacers on top of the stem. They don't work and pop off when you remove the tool. 

A big draw was the lack of branding on it. My complete blackout on all my components is a big success to far. 

post-22685-0-56138400-1603863544.jpg

800mm goodness with really good and understated looks. Do I find the chatter from the trail to be less with the technology they implemented? I don't think so. What I do like is the up and back sweep. Perfectly comfortable. 

The bars has various markings on it to help straighten everything out and get your controls setup perfectly. 

Again no crazy branding.

post-22685-0-21401100-1603863552.jpg

So far this has impressed me quite a bit. The biggest and most impressive part was being able to tighten a crank bolt (8mm) by combing the quick link splitter and the 6mm hex wrench. I flipped out the rest of the tools and managed to stand on it with about 105kg. The quick link bit twisted a bit but I was able to easily straighten it again with nothing breaking. 

The storage compartment is pretty cool too. Takes a couple of strips of bacon, spare valve cores, the plug tool and the chain link splitter pliers. Quite a bit of space. I did break the first plug tool when I tried to tighten it into the adapter. Own stupidity and a very expensive mistake. 

The V2 of the tool is black which is quite nice. Never had issues with the green though. Looks pretty trick. 

So far I'm super impressed with the line of accessories from One Up. I also have their dropper post and I've had zero issues with it so far. 

Do you carry another saddle/tool bag on your bike besides the EDC

And does the extra length on the bars make a huge difference in the comfort of your ride?

looks good, think we need full pic of the bike just to check if it really all non branded as far as possible :whistling:

Edited by MajG

looks good, think we need full pic of the bike just to check if it really all non branded as far as possible :whistling:

Yeah, I can see writing on that headset already.

Do you carry another saddle/tool bag on your bike besides the EDC

And does the extra length on the bars make a huge difference in the comfort of your ride?

Going to 800 from 760 wasn't a big change to be honest. I could have gone for a 35mm stem instead of the 50mm but my fit on the bike is close to perfect now. 

Did you just ask if I have a saddle bag on my bike  :eek:.

No I don't (a quiet bike is a fast bike), I ride with a hip pack (with Camelback branding) that has the One Up pump in it. Couple of things stashed in the back like a slug plug kit with thicker bacon strips, R50 note, spare valve. 

I haven't needed any other tools on the trail so far. 

I'll post a photo of the bike later. 

Going to 800 from 760 wasn't a big change to be honest. I could have gone for a 35mm stem instead of the 50mm but my fit on the bike is close to perfect now. 

Did you just ask if I have a saddle bag on my bike  :eek:.

No I don't (a quiet bike is a fast bike), I ride with a hip pack (with Camelback branding) that has the One Up pump in it. Couple of things stashed in the back like a slug plug kit with thicker bacon strips, R50 note, spare valve. 

I haven't needed any other tools on the trail so far. 

I'll post a photo of the bike later. 

A i was thinking if any benefit of going to 800mm aswell.

hahahha, thats why asked for full pic to see if that saddle bag is hanging around.

I have the holy rail from Lyne and i still hear fair amount of noise from it (tied up co2 bombs), so just weighin up if i need ot go hip bag aswell

A i was thinking if any benefit of going to 800mm aswell.

hahahha, thats why asked for full pic to see if that saddle bag is hanging around.

I have the holy rail from Lyne and i still hear fair amount of noise from it (tied up co2 bombs), so just weighin up if i need ot go hip bag aswell

I ended up taking my rails off, I have my spare tube, slugs and plug in a strap on the seat tube.

Tools are strapped to the down tube.

Got the giant clutch to stash a co2 in the head tube. Hand pump in the hip bag.

With enough time and money, you can get almost everything nearly on a bike.

caecaf5575e06763ddd6795852ebdd4b.jpg

My Specialized SWAT with a spare tube a couple of bombs, an air tool, a pump, 3 tire levers, big multi tool, plugs and plug tool [emoji12]

*pic cropped to show the tools on errrr in the bike

e28f522c3a9df5d8dfd999e076308fbd.jpeg

I still rate the SWAT system as one of the best stash solutions in the industry. My fiance's Stumpjumper is filled up with our spare tubes and bits. 

She carries that and I carry the tools. 

I do have a Tubolito in my hip bag though for the odd occasion that I'm out on a solo ride.  

I ended up taking my rails off, I have my spare tube, slugs and plug in a strap on the seat tube.

Tools are strapped to the down tube.

Got the giant clutch to stash a co2 in the head tube. Hand pump in the hip bag.

With enough time and money, you can get almost everything nearly on a bike.

caecaf5575e06763ddd6795852ebdd4b.jpg

so you also experienced the noise for the holy rail? and just tossed it rather?

So the accepted formula for the amount of bikes you should own is N + 1, this we agree!

Having research this and found it to be extremely accurate but not altogether achievable or sustainable due to the increasing cost of compliance, I thought that surely similar formulae exist for other facets of cycling...my research has found that the same formula exists for footwear...

Having deduced this, I now present to you for your eye-ball feasting, my latest attempt at compliance and effort to engage the retro facet of my personality (albeit not a large one but never-mind, the formula does not choose your predilection, it is omnipotent) :

post-35907-0-97309100-1603876212_thumb.jpeg

post-35907-0-82920900-1603876481_thumb.jpeg

so you also experienced the noise for the holy rail? and just tossed it rather?

Nope, just found it less suitable than I would have liked. Mine where never noisy, I had 2 of them.

My current solution is just more cost effective, no need to have 2 full sets of everything. The expensive stuff can simply move from bike to bike, but each one can have all their cheap stuff.

I found “hiding” things away easier and neater with straps.

So the accepted formula for the amount of bikes you should own is N + 1, this we agree!

Having research this and found it to be extremely accurate but not altogether achievable or sustainable due to the increasing cost of compliance, I thought that surely similar formulae exist for other facets of cycling...my research has found that the same formula exists for footwear...

Having deduced this, I now present to you for your eye-ball feasting, my latest attempt at compliance and effort to engage the retro facet of my personality (albeit not a large one but never-mind, the formula does not choose your predilection, it is omnipotent) :

I love the retro look. From the boardroom to a quick century after work.  :drool: