Support your LBS! or don`t.

BergForce

I need a LBS where they don`t throw me out of the shop because I bought some part elsewhere/online. The old school blind loyalty expensive LBS type of shops should catch a wake-up. They should start ordering stuff from online shops as a service to the customers. They do this anyway without you knowing, they order your part online but not tell you, cause you just might see their mark-up.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so which shop tossed you out and was the term being used here of "throw me out the shop" literally applied, or is this more of a figure of speech?

I need a LBS where they don`t throw me out of the shop because I bought some part elsewhere/online. The old school blind loyalty expensive LBS type of shops should catch a wake-up. They should start ordering stuff from online shops as a service to the customers. They do this anyway without you knowing, they order your part online but not tell you, cause you just might see their mark-up.

Tell them to get bent, its like the shop that wanted to charge me a premium price for a wheel build cause I bought my parts elsewhere. Stuff them, they will not survive.

A lbs here has said that they would charge more for labour if you bought parts elsewhere and wanted them to fit them to your bike.

Tell them to get bent, its like the shop that wanted to charge me a premium price for a wheel build cause I bought my parts elsewhere. Stuff them, they will not survive.

Fully agree with you. Take your business elsewhere.

A lbs here has said that they would charge more for labour if you bought parts elsewhere and wanted them to fit them to your bike.

Agian. take your business elsewhere, they will all catch on soon enough or they go out of business. When I take my car to be serviced they don't charge me extra if I supply my own parts, I don't charge my customers more if they supply there own material for cutting. LBS need to wake up, if they didn't overcharge in the first place maybe you would have bought the parts from them.

Agian. take your business elsewhere, they will all catch on soon enough or they go out of business. When I take my car to be serviced they don't charge me extra if I supply my own parts, I don't charge my customers more if they supply there own material for cutting. LBS need to wake up, if they didn't overcharge in the first place maybe you would have bought the parts from them.

I'd love to see you take a merc to a merc dealer and say, "I ordered these parts from overseas, will you please fit them?"

Edit to add: I do agree with your point though.

Edited by Robrider

I'd love to see you take a merc to a merc dealer and say, "I ordered these parts from overseas, will you please fit them?"

Edit to add: I do agree with your point though.

Just try it at my local Toyota agent

Silly

I agree the shop should charge a increased labour charge or just throw you out like Berg Bok

Not sure what industry you are in but when i did laser cutting and profiling, we used to charge a handling fee if you supplied your own material.

Not really thrown out a shop just exaggerating. I think times have changed and the LBS of today should offer ordering of parts online on your behalf and not be unhappy when you don`t buy everything from them. They can even charge a bit extra ordering and installing supplied parts.

Just try it at my local Toyota agent

Silly

I agree the shop should charge a increased labour charge or just throw you out like Berg Bok

What difference does it make if I take the LBS cassette (as an example) or my own? Fitting a part is fitting a part, if they charge more they are scamming you! Especially when half the time the LBS does not have what you want anyway or try to sell you a more expensive part.

We service our VW in PTA at a mechanic who buys his parts at Goldwagen, should we rather only support those who buy from VW direct then?

Its similar to restaurants charing a corkage fee if you bring your own wine in.

My LBS (Cycles Direct) never gives me any hassle about buying parts etc online and then taking it to them to get fitted. Marks Bicycle workshop were also fine with it. I don't believe I paid more because I had boughts the parts elsewhere.

Not sure what industry you are in but when i did laser cutting and profiling, we used to charge a handling fee if you supplied your own material.

Similar industry, in all the companies I've worked for we have never charged for this. Maybe I should from now, but a lot of the time you scare people off, seems the same happens at the LBS, go figure.

Hey Ratty, same with my LBS - Epic Bike Shop. Lance & co are really accommodating and even though I have bought items elsewhere, they're happy to fit for a small fee (part of normal service etc / labour per hour) and have a chat. I even buy little ancillary items there all the time, and they understand that money talks & if I can get a good deal elsewhere, I will - but I trust THEM to fit the stuff, 'cos it's what they do well.