The cost of bikes - have we lost touch with reality?

wesley_r

Not beating golf yet though with these prices:

Currently, the most expensive set of golf clubs in production are the Five Stars made by Honma, a Japanese club manufacturer. The company constructs its custom clubs out of platinum and gold. A full, custom 14-piece set of these expensive clubs costs $32,000.

Jack Nicholson, Roger Clemens, and Donald Trump play these sticks as does Latin crooner Marc Anthony. Bet we don’t see him chasing down J-Lo’s SUV with these babies.

While the Five Stars are the most expensive set, individual clubs can cost more. The most expensive single golf club in the world is a special edition of Barth & Sons’ GoldenPutter. Each GoldenPutter is custom made in Germany with a 5 micrometer thick coating of 24 carat gold on the shaft. The costly club comes in a case made of cherry wood.

The First Lady Special Edition takes the GoldenPutter concept to the next level. While it retains the golden shaft, the leather grip is a bright pink. The head also features crystal inlays. A diamond version of the First Lady Special Edition sells for $150,000.00 making it the most expensive single golf club in the world.

I think if you have the money and want to spend it on fancy things, then do so! It doesn't matter if you are crap or not, its your money! Cant take it with you when you die. I am however suprised there are no diamond encrusted bikes out there for the girls yet!!

As and avid golfer my whole life, and recent cyclist, I am shocked at how much more expensive cycling kit is than golf. Sure, some obscure Jap maufacturer makes custom gold-plated clubs for some super rich dopes... I bet there are also obscure bike manufacturers making gold bikes for Rmillions, so that's not really a good indicator....

What is relevant is that for R20k I can buy (retail, in SA) a top-of-the-range set of golf clubs. And I mean the same quality and technology as that equipment that gets played by the top Pros on the PGA Tour. Could you get Wiggo's bike for R20k? I don't think there are a set of wheels ridden by pros on the TdF for under R20k.

And clubs generally have a 2-year production cycle before they are replaced by new models, but I could play them for 10 years if I want to forgo the minor technological advances in new clubs every two years...

I thought golf and phoptography were expensive, until I discovered my new hobbies cycling and triathlon! Now they seem like a bargain!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As and avid golfer my whole life, and recent cyclist, I am shocked at how much more expensive cycling kit is than golf. Sure, some obscure Jap maufacturer makes custom gold-plated clubs for some super rich dopes... I bet there are also obscure bike manufacturers making gold bikes for Rmillions, so that's not really a good indicator....

What is relevant is that for R20k I can buy (retail, in SA) a top-of-the-range set of golf clubs. And I mean the same quality and technology as that equipment that gets played by the top Pros on the PGA Tour. Could you get Wiggo's bike for R20k? I don't think there are a set of wheels ridden by pros on the TdF for under R20k.

And clubs generally have a 2-year production cycle before they are replaced by new models, but I could play them for 10 years if I want to forgo the minor technological advances in new clubs every two years...

I thought golf and phoptography were expensive, until I discovered my new hobbies cycling and triathlon! Now they seem like a bargain!

I have to agree with you on this one svan. I play of a 3 handicap, and my golf has cost me a lot less in the past year than my MTB(less than half). And I have given both equal attention. The gear and general maintenance on a bicycle costs a lot more than playing golf...

I have to agree with you on this one svan. I play of a 3 handicap, and my golf has cost me a lot less in the past year than my MTB(less than half). And I have given both equal attention. The gear and general maintenance on a bicycle costs a lot more than playing golf...

there's a range to both, and maintenance costs for golf are zip so it's not a straight comparison.

if you only had a grand, you could get further with cycling.

if you golf/ride twice a month, cycling will be more expensive.

if you golf/ride six times a week, cycling would be cheaper

Well as you know most things in Switz are overpriced, I cant say for sure if buying bikes here is more expensive than SA as the last bike i bought was a Zula in 2010 and since then have not really paid attention to prices here / there.

I saw a 29er S Works Epics 2013 top of the range model with a price tag that started like this Chf 10'***.00 (+/- ZAR 93K) i dont recall the *** digits cause I lost interest pretty quick after the 10K registered.

Back in 2004 when i bought my S Works Epic I worked out it would have been cheaper for me to buy it in SA and buy a return airticket for a tjom to delivery it to me.

I still (huh.png ) bought it here in the interests of building up a good relationship with my LBS.....

in CH?

and ill happy be a bicycle mule for you!

there's a range to both, and maintenance costs for golf are zip so it's not a straight comparison.

if you only had a grand, you could get further with cycling.

if you golf/ride twice a month, cycling will be more expensive.

if you golf/ride six times a week, cycling would be cheaper

Probably true - I didn't factor in club membership costs and green fees (although those are also getting cheaper with the advent of Play More Golf and "virtual clubs").

I play off 4/5 handicap, probably play 50 rounds a year. That probably adds 20K a year, including my club membership...

I need cheaper hobbies! whistling.gif

ps. I dropped R25k on a virtually new but previously loved TT bike a couple months ago. Still get a little vom taste in my mouth thinking about it... until I go sit and look at her... drool.gif

in CH?

and ill happy be a bicycle mule for you!

Yep Swiss LBS

Ha ha...thanks but times have changed unfortunately not sure i can justify buying a new bike....yet

Yep Swiss LBS

Ha ha...thanks but times have changed unfortunately not sure i can justify buying a new bike....yet

Something personalised and not part of Migro or Coop ....wow

Cycling can be as expensive as you want it to be. It is directly proportionate to how successful you are at it as well. I am mid to back pack rider and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to sustain my hobby. Having said that, I don't ride XTR, XX or Dura Ace. LX/SLX, X9 and 105 would be considered good stuff on my budget. My shorts cost R500 and my cycling shirts cost less than R250. My Diadora shoes are a few seasons old but they still manage to stay on my feet.

I manage to keep a smile on my face while riding my bike. All three of which total less than R25k (DH, Trail and road) Would I like to ride Dura Ace and XTR/XX? Absolutely! Can I afford it? Heck no!

Having said that though for somebody at the bottom looking up, the top end kit does seem expensive because I can't afford it. If I was at the top looking down and could afford Di2, I would probably be running a bumper sticker on my luxury German Sedan that said "**** the poor"...

I always find it funny how SOME of the "larger" riders I have met who ride expensive bikes do so because one they have the money and two they want to get the latest, greatest and importantly the "lightest" bike. So they are prepared to shed ooodles of cash to get the lightest bike around but could easily do with a 10k bike until they lost a few (ok more than just a few rolleyes.gif ) kilo's around their mid rifs.

i also started on a cheap R2500 bike

Attekwas was my first race -riding with the wife to finish it, that was also my first long ride

Then i got into the sport and realized , you either get the racing snakes or the more social riders

riding social you can do with just about whatever you want

I also realized you will always be beaten by either a youngster or a old toppie, but you still have to race the best and try and beat them to get better -this is if you are competitive

with a older say 13kg bike , like my old one i got to a stage where i wasnt getting any better and knowing what i wanted to race i got a R28 000 -10kg bike , this bike gave me amazing time and it's a racing machine , my old bike will never get close to it

So it all about the bike aswell if you train hard, a fit guy will do much better on a good expensive bike compared to a a heavy bike

take for example , my wife has a climp to the tower behind out house , she climb with her duel 26" -13.5kg bike , then the other days she did the same on a demo carbon bike(HT) -29 er, costing R30 000she improved her time by nearly 90 seconds

I agree they are too expensive, you can buy a car for some bikes prices,

the other day i had a pro was and changed a cable , that was like R300 or so, at the same time i had my wife car washed , vacuim and polish-all for R60

The point is if you can afford it you will buy the best and sometimes the most expensive

my max are R30 000 or Hard tails for me and the wife

It is about economy of scale and the cost of development. If they could sell enough bikes at R10000 to cover their development costs it would allow them to recover quicker, but because it takes much more money to develop to develop the high tech bikes as oppossed to the entry level bikes they need to sell them for more. Also, the material costs between good and bad materials is a big factor to the final price. One does also pay a bit of a premium on some bikes purely because the companies need to put their bikes into the correct market segment. It is not as easy as saying oh they must be ripping us off.

Compare it to a Lamborgini and a Hyundai i10. Millions of i10s around, only a handfull of lambos. But if you can afford the Lambo then why not. You get what you pay for and the same is true for bikes. A bike is not a bike is not a bike.

Is'nt one of the rules that the bike on your roof should cost more than your car? If so I need a game bike with a roof rack.

in the start chute on Saturday was a oldish guy on his Dogma with electronic gears. the price of my car. his rear wheel was twice the price of my bike. I beat him by 3 minutes. w00t.gif

Oek ma net-net...

:-D

I almost told him if I beat you I get yours, if you beat me you get mine... awesome looking bike.

He who dies with the most toys, wins...

Hey its friday tomorrow! So get on yer bike and ride, whether it cost R1000 or R100 000. There are only so many weekends left till you kick the bucket. Make the most of them...