The cost of bikes - have we lost touch with reality?

wesley_r

Ive seen this so many times, pure power! Did a cycle race at stonehaven recently, and there was s fellow cyclist that was on a mountain bike that was probably ten years old and didnt even have a name, just had slicks, he rode with takkies aswell.. he still kept with the pack for about 90 percent of the race, during the one flat stretch he still got a phone call and was talking for a few min.. This was amazing!

Did my first Hyper to Hyper (The Fast One) on my R500.00 Hansom Le Turbo. Started with a chap on his Colnago Ferrari. Dropped him up the first climb (the one to Silverball) and only saw him again at the finish. I had enough time to go and put my bike in the car and change, go back to the finish just in time to see him finish.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa, I wish I even had R1000 to spend on my bike, been saving forever just to get me a set Hydarulic disc brakes and a descent set of wheels. My two cars and my bike are not even worth R85k

in the start chute on Saturday was a oldish guy on his Dogma with electronic gears. the price of my car. his rear wheel was twice the price of my bike. I beat him by 3 minutes. w00t.gif

This is an interesting point.

If a "slow" (normally older) rider has the bucks to ride a 100k bike, and a "fast" (normally younger) rider can only afford a 10k bike, does this mean we must automatically look at the older/slower guy as if he doesn't deserve the bike?

Older guys have the money, bike shops have the expensive bikes. Put the two together and you have a win : win situation imo.

I'm an older rider, and I've reached a stage in my life where I buy whatever I want, irrespective of the price. If the racing snake laatie next to me doesn't like it, he can exchange his saddle for a pineapple as far as I am concerned.

That's my take on it.

Play this game when you out riding or racing

If you pass someone with a more expensive bike than you you get 1 point, an extra point for each R10k more than your bike

If its a 29er you get 2 points.

If you pass someone while airborne you get the points above plus 5 bonus.

If you get passed by someone on a cheaper bike subtract 1 and 1 extra for each R10k less.

If its a 26inch subtract 2

If their airborne subtract 5.

See what you can add up to in a week. Anyone with negative points at the end of the week buys the beer for the rest.

80% of people on MTB should have stuck to the road

in the start chute on Saturday was a oldish guy on his Dogma with electronic gears. the price of my car. his rear wheel was twice the price of my bike. I beat him by 3 minutes. w00t.gif

Ha, but maybe that is only half the equation.

What if his bike only cost him 2 days to earn, whilst yours (and mine) cost us a month's salary ?

If someone can buy a toy without having to compromise on any other aspect of his life and he gets joy out of riding it, is it actually a problem ?

I am more concerned about people who walk into a bike shop and put a bike on "Budget" than I am about someone who pays for it out of his small change pocket.

Flame suit on ........

If you pass someone with a more expensive bike than you you get 1 point, an extra point for each R10k more than your bike

If you get passed by someone on a cheaper bike subtract 1 and 1 extra for each R10k less.

See what you can add up to in a week. Anyone with negative points at the end of the week buys the beer for the rest.

thumbup1.gif

Edited by the_wes

Bit of a silly argument if you ask me. The other day on the highway I overtook a SLK55 AMG, Lambo Gallardo and an Porsche Cayenne Turbo in my POS Corolla. Moerse hero. I suppose if you can afford it - cool and good for you, else not really your problem. Each to his own.

I do not want to cause a major debate on whether someone must spend R10 000 or R100 000 on a bike, but it is worthy to mention that R1K has diffrent values to different people. To a student R1K is a heluva lot of money, and to some it is enough to buy lunch. Car manufacturers cater for loaded and broke people, and it is only fair that bike manufacturers do the same. Imagine the entire population driving around in Geely's, not that there is something wrong with a Geely, but it will frustrate the hell out of guys who is not cash strapped. Let there be budget and high-end bikes so that every has the opportunity to choose his ride, whether he is as fast as some of the hubbers or just there for the enjoyment of cycling.

lets not forget SS - if you get passed by a SS going up hill you subtract 50 points

If someone can afford an expensive bicycle, and you can't afford it or "justify" it to yourself then that is your problem, not the theirs?

Judging someone for how they choose to spend/(or not spend) their cash is either a stupidity, jealously, politically, or religiously "Injected" value... and sometimes it's a combination of these things...

Who's reality are we speaking about here anyway? That's just the point of the word... it's all relative... to what you can afford and to what is important to you as an individual...

I think it's perfectly ok to discuss your own view in relation to your own values... but when people start judging others it becomes evident that their real intentions/views have nothing to do with their "opinion" but rather with their "judging" of others....

Or do we want to live in a world where we all have exactly the same?

http://images2.dailykos.com/i/user/3/Capital_Bikeshare.jpg

Edited by TheV

Of course, it is possible when you get to a place where you can afford things, to lose sight of reality. I talk about how much my bike cost, but the guy working in my garden doesn't even know if he can feed his family this month. Makes you think a little about what's important.

Speaking of expensive bikes....anybody have a used 26" air shock the want to donateph34r.png

My Mtb weighs 17,5kgeek.gif

Any thoughts on parents who buy their kids R30k+ MTB's?

Yes I think it's a shame. We have a small town and a nice network of trails. I would love to go the school and say let's get the kids into mountain biking.

But the pressure on the parents to provide these bikes will be unreasonable. When the kids get racing in the Spur series and see the 30k hardtails the parents are in for it.

I think they should issue a standard bike for this kind of series. I wouldn't want my kid to get awards for his sport just because the barrier to entry is to high for other kids to compete.

I think they should issue a standard bike for this kind of series. I wouldn't want my kid to get awards for his sport just because the barrier to entry is to high for other kids to compete.

Just the point I am trying to make... the REALITY is that there are massive barriers for everything in life, and there is nothing you can do about it except for trying to help your own kids over as many of them as you possibly can, it's life...

Do you think when those kids grow up that they won't face those exact same barriers in all other aspects of life?

Sitting back and making a judgement on other people, and knocking what they do for their kids are not going to get your kids (or any other kids) anywhere anyway?

The sooner one accepts that, and rather start focusing on what you can/are willing to do then better...

If I can't buy my son a 30k bike, then I will make sure I get him the best possible bike with the money I do have... be that looking for a great deal, negotiating, finding a sponsor, etc etc etc...

And when I have done that, I will do my best to help him train to maximise his potential and focus on his strengths as best I can...

And when I am happy that I have helped him with the best equipment and physical training I can possibly do, then I will focus on helping him mentally, and preparing him to think, attack in a different/strategic way... always looking for an edge...

And if that edge is to make fun of the oke on the expensive bike, and joke about the rich dad having a small peenus then I'll do that too...

But to sit back and cry, mope and worry about other people's finances won't help my son buggerall...

Edited by TheV

I think walking into a shop and throwing down 30K all at once on a bike is harsh. What are the opinions then on building a bike as the cash flows in? Surely its more expensive but your pocket does not feel it as much and you enjoy building it up piece by piece as a project.