Team 360Life Suspension: David George busted

Jules

From news24:

"His biological passport, which analyses the athlete's blood profile, indicated suspicious activity and that triggered a targeted test for EPO."Galant said EPO testing had a window period of between six and 12 hours, as that was the length of time during which it would show up in a test."

If the passport and out of competition testing is the only way to catch epo dopers (6 -12 hours is a small window), how many other dopers are riding in SA?

Also, if DG was doped to the gills, how did KE keep up with him? Or is DG just a bit low on VO2max, and needed epo to keep up?

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

by world mtb'ing standards (not by cape epic) where did they fit in. they only seemed to be racing in rsa on farm roads and contour paths. other than burry did any of the 'stars of the cape epic' compete in the Olympics.

r you real???? Please look at uci world marathon champinships 7 oct in france. You will find max knox and nico bell there. Farm roads????

He found a braincell - @bsbrandon5: Sponsors are hard to come by as it is.. And its a sad day... BUT let's try hold the name of cycling high!

that's also sponsored.. nothing lasts forever!

If he is clean Kevin is going to be really screwed over financially by the standard team format in SA marathon mountainbiking races... If innocent if I were him I'd get a good attorney on board and sue DG for his loss of earnings.

Hmm that really is a unfortunate place to be in now for KE

Would love to be a fly on the wall when next they (KE / DG) talk to one another again.

Good reason for dropping the team format idea...

"It is really a sad day for sport in SA especially potentially losing a sponsor and the team members affected. The fact that our sport is being cleaned up though is a great thing and send a solid message to young and upcoming cyclists that there is hope for a clean and fair sport" Max Knox

Does anyone know if EPO is detrimental to your health? If not, where do they draw the line on supplements and performance enhancing drugs?

With EPO boosting your red blood cell count, you perform like a boss.... Imagine if this **** was legal?

The fact that they say EPO stays in the blood for 6 - 12 hours almost makes me believe that the guys use it in any case. It was out of season, maybe there was a reason why they did not really compete all year round?

This is really very very very sad. I really hope Kevin is clean and had nothing to do with it. I don't even want to imagine what he must feel like now!

So here is what worries me - if DG was on EPO then how was Kevin keeping up? Like Lance whose whole team aroud him has now confessed, by implication it is difficult to believe that he could be clean, unless he has some special abilities (which i hope is true but starts to sound thin). The gain is too much over a long period in a race from EPO and the recovery is too great compared to a clean rider. Do the maths. Every day you start at haematocrit of 50 again whilst all around you are slowly falling.

In the immortal words of a mate of mine "ek ken die verskil tussen *** en Chocolates, en hierdie is nie chocolates nie"

BTW EPO micro dosing which was perfected by 1 x Dr Ferrari will allow you to inject small quantities subcutaneously, which makes it almost undetectable. The UCI only found out about this technique from the Operation Puerto scandal when some of the cyclists had to actually show them what they were doing to escape detection, and the normal EPO test they were using couldnt catch it (this may have changed). So DG would have to have been a right chop to get caught.

But we all make mistakes.

And whilst on the stream of conciousness and to give my final 2 c worth (I promise) we do have a clean and a dirty class in cycling in every race, all mixed together. So if you can propose a way to police the clean class you would have solved all the problems relating to doping.

And ABF: I now undertsand why Lemond was so vociferous about this topic. He was very aware that he was gifted genetically in a way that was abnormal and LA made him look like a hacker, knowing he had lesser gifts (tested lower on VO2 Max) Its obvious from his perspective that something was wrong. Cue the above quote

There should be 2 categories in all events 1. for the dopers and 2. for the (so called non-dopers).

Not sure there are any of these though !!

Where can we get this EPO ? - gotta see if it works !!

Dude Cat 2 already exsists problem is you cant trust anything that walks on 2 legs and rides a biycycle

Does anyone know if EPO is detrimental to your health? If not, where do they draw the line on supplements and performance enhancing drugs?

With EPO boosting your red blood cell count, you perform like a boss.... Imagine if this **** was legal?

except over a certain level your blood starts to turn to porridge and your heart goes in to hydraulic lock aka stops beating. That is normally fatal. That level is on the upper side of 50.

FWIW the rumour is that Bjarne Riis won a stage in his tour win, with a haematocrit level of 65.

R100k will go to Ben Melt & Matthys and Combrinck & Bell will get the overall I guess

I really hope so...good for them

It is definately dangerous - a number of cyclists habve died in their sleep etc in the 90's and even more recently

The UCI and others need to stop pussy-footing around with 1 and 2 year bans for doping. For the amount of money the top pro's seem to be making it's almost worth the risk for them to be out the sport for "only" 2 years.

If you're caught you should be banned FOR LIFE!!!