RIP Burry Stander

Ranga

Just heard now.we are just down the road from where it happened and these roads are crazy busy at the moment. Such a tragic loss. Condolences to his family. Rip

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw this on the news now, extremely shocked and saddened!

May he find happiness and peace should there be a life after death and my heart felt sympathy to his family and loved ones.

R.I.P Mr Stander

What a sad day for his family and the cycling community. Cant imagine the Epic without the crouched over posture of Burry in the front!! sad.png

My condolences to his family and everyone who knew him....

Edited by Paulst12

We owe it to this Idol of ours to make his senseless death make a difference in the lives of other cyclists (especially those that only have cycling as a mode of transport). Please let us fight this scourge! RIP CHAMP!

A terribly sad day for South Africa and for cycling! Some amazing posts going around on Facebook and Twitter just go to show what an impact he's had and how much he has done for the sport and others! A true champion who has changed cycling in our country.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Cherise, Charls and the rest of the family.

This is senseless, and incredibly sad. We are not supposed to lose national hero ( or anybody) this way.

I'm heartbroken and very saddened.

RIP Burry, and condolences to Cherise and his family.

As utterly gutted as I am, the sad truth is that nothing will come of this. Yes, we will organise a massive rememberance ride, maybe even more Critical Mass rides will be put together, but while we are clad in lycra and Sipho who never went to school is behind a 2 ton metal ramming-rod on wheels, we will always pull on the short end. Taking the fight to government won't do anything, they will just pull their shoulders up and give you a "hau" and that will be it. I can't suggest a solution because I don't know of any.

I really feel for Cherise. SACF have given her so many raw deals lately with not including her in teams, and now to lose her husband as well. I wouldn't blame her if she turns her back on cycling completely after this.

Sad news to lose a national hero and a great guy at such a young age. Or any age for that matter. My heart goes out to his wife, family and all those close to him.