LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Good info this. I have also noted that when I go a day or so without eating I feel hundreds! Do you think one can still take coffee though? I note you are only on water and tea but I don’t drink tea. Do you think coffee is cheating as the caffeine is a stimulant?

I drank coffee the first time but not this time. Ended up with a massive headache which I suspect was caffeine withdrawal. Very unpleasant.

I think coffee for me is cheating. If I were to drink coffee I would certainly make it black and no sugar.

When I say I drink tea it is only weak loose leaf green tea or rooibos. No milk or sugar.

Glad you also felt great after fasting. I find it very interesting.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen this site? http://www.leangains.com

I'm not very good at fasting 

Ive been doing Intermitent fasting for 2 years now. The first week was challenging, but its now the norm. Since combining IF and cycling ive dropped 20kgs without a strict eating plan. Its helped me big time with weight loss and has improved my cycling performance drastically.

I eat at 12pm, 4pm and 7pm. During the 12 hour fasting period you can drink coke zero, black coffee with no sugar and chew sugar free gum if you really struggling to fast

Edited by Winstonian1984

Just measured my Blood ketone level again today. Got my highest recorded value yet. Sitting bang on 3.0 mmol/l. Tomorrow morning will be a test ride (Road ride on the mountain bike, which usually ends up around 26km/h average. Not crazy, but usually a toughish tempo ride.) I'll report back on the result.

Food today consisted of:

- Bulletproof coffee (2tbsp coconut oil, 25g butter, 200ml cream)

- 3 egg omlette with cheese and creamed spinach).

- Plenty of black coffee.

Other than the reading, I'm feeling very good at the moment. Strong on the bike, very focussed, and I find my recovery time after a tough session is really really good. I simply don't walk around sore all the time.

Just saw this study on sugar and Type 2 diabetes - at the risk of preaching to the converted.... :)

http://www.medicalbrief.co.za/archives/sugar-sweetened-drink-link-to-t2d/

Bottom line - eliminate artificial sweetners and sweetened drinks.

And the artificial sweeteners taste like hell anyway. I suppose it's all about the insulin response that occurs wether it's a natural sugar or an artificial sweetener.

As you say. Best to avoid

Just measured my Blood ketone level again today. Got my highest recorded value yet. Sitting bang on 3.0 mmol/l. Tomorrow morning will be a test ride (Road ride on the mountain bike, which usually ends up around 26km/h average. Not crazy, but usually a toughish tempo ride.) I'll report back on the result.

Food today consisted of:

- Bulletproof coffee (2tbsp coconut oil, 25g butter, 200ml cream)

- 3 egg omlette with cheese and creamed spinach).

- Plenty of black coffee.

Other than the reading, I'm feeling very good at the moment. Strong on the bike, very focussed, and I find my recovery time after a tough session is really really good. I simply don't walk around sore all the time.

Had a very good ride this morning, and then got a little surprise afterwards... Did another test just to see what the numbers were.... 5.5 mmol/l. I'm almost a little concerned that it's tending towards too high now. Anyone have any info I can read on this?

post-48219-0-91943800-1438939814_thumb.jpg

Had a very good ride this morning, and then got a little surprise afterwards... Did another test just to see what the numbers were.... 5.5 mmol/l. I'm almost a little concerned that it's tending towards too high now. Anyone have any info I can read on this?

attachicon.gifketo5.5.jpg

Have a caramel fudge ice cream. I'm pretty sure it will knock those numbers down. :clap:

Where did you guys get the info to start of? 

Basically if i want to give this a try, where do i start? 

You can start right here with this thread. You can try Google. Just search Banting. Also try searching Low Carb High Fat Diet. Noakes' new book is also a good resource. Amazon has lots of books if you want to go that right. Low carb living and so on.

Info is easy to find. Clarity not so much. As always get a medical check up before doing anything odd. But then again, our modern diet is pretty odd to start with and we never got any medical advice for that now did we?

You can start right here with this thread. You can try Google. Just search Banting. Also try searching Low Carb High Fat Diet. Noakes' new book is also a good resource. Amazon has lots of books if you want to go that right. Low carb living and so on.

Info is easy to find. Clarity not so much. As always get a medical check up before doing anything odd. But then again, our modern diet is pretty odd to start with and we never got any medical advice for that now did we?

true. I am a firm believer in you are what you eat..... But that does not keep me away from the wrong stuff. But perhaps if a follow a plan and not eat what I want when I want, it will help. 

true. I am a firm believer in you are what you eat..... But that does not keep me away from the wrong stuff. But perhaps if a follow a plan and not eat what I want when I want, it will help. 

The very first post on this thread is full of info. Start with all those links. Then when you're done with them, see if you can start reading this thread from page 1 and keep going. It will take a lot of time, I know, but there is soooo much info that it's really the only way to go. 

The reason I say read this whole thread from the beginning is because you'll soon start to notice that people join here and proceed to ask the same questions that have been answered many times repeatedly before.

Happy reading :).

There are some very good tips on this thread. Tim Noakes book is quite comprehensive and Low Carb is Lekker also has some very nice recipes.

It still is important to keep an eye on your daily calorie intake. One can easily eat a lot of calories because of the lekker food. I found that Myfitnesspal is a great tool to assist with this. 

Just a heads up. LCHF is like kryptonite to a cyclist. Although you won't feel a lack of energy, there will no powers when to train/ race high intensity.

I can ride at a steady pace (23km ave) in a fasted state for 97 km easy. I haven't tested farther but probably could. However as soon as I increase the intensity I bonk in an instant.

The past few weeks we were living like sinners...  All the wrong foods all the time and sugar loaded drinks became the norm.

My fat ass became a lot fatter due to this.  So this afternoon I decided to take the bicycle home.  

Water bottles filled up, klapped a KitKat just after 16H00 and took to the bike.

About 1.2 km from the office I took to the first hill.  3.4% for 100 meters then flattens out to 2.5% for about 800 meters.  I knew that I was not going to get of easy.  But reached the top.  I then had a bit of trouble with traffic, and hit a uphill stretch down Lynnwood.  I made about 200 meters, stopped and had a drink of water, then took to a little dirt path.

Made about 800 meters and knew trouble was brewing. 

You all know that feeling when you know you are in for a puking session. So pulled off the road and I knew it was over, but then something strange took place.  After my body got rid of what ever I had eaten ahd had to drink (including the mug of coffee, I felt much better.  Okay, I limped home, but I was feeling a lot stronger and much better and less sluggish.  So will see tomorrow morning.  A bulletproof coffee before my commute and then getting back on to LCHF.  That carb loaded diet is just plain crap if you ask me...

Where did you guys get the info to start of? 

Basically if i want to give this a try, where do i start? 

I've always found this site a good starting point:  http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Easy to read and fairly concise.  Once you are familiar with the basics, move onto the more in-depth stuff if needed.  But get the basics right.

Start at the first page of the tread, and if you want to get the real meal revelation by Prof Noakes. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

My 2 cents worth:

- been lchf 9 months now lost 7 kgs and feeling stronger than ever.

- read noakes book and gained lots info from Facebook group chats

- now able to cycle up to 4 hours carb free and can push to 5 but with a drop in performance.

- became adapted by training in fat burning zone , 70% HR, and progressively lengthened this duration.. Did some HIIT for short duration carb free

- avoided all carbs 24/7

- progressed slowly lengthening the training duration forcing body to rely on stored fats only. Drank water only to thirst

- found that as I progressed my output increased at the same heart rate as my body adapted to using stored fats.

- I am now cycling for 18 months and am not fast on the bike at all. I guess I am still inexperienced. I am a green number comrades athlete who had used carbs but now run on fats. I am getting back to running and am confident that I can run carb free. Whether I can go beyond 5 hrs time will tell. But I know for sure if I will try ingesting fats and maybe a limited amount of natural carbs.