Roadie behavior- Etiquette

Reg Lizard

I did what Reg did once, only with roady chicks <I'm overweight and lazy >, till one asked, 'are you drafting or checking out my ass'...so I told her the truth about her saddle bags and ducked into the bush with my 26' dual sus XC single track destroyer...

Also glad to note that I'm not the only farting cyclist :clap:

The was a certain former female Hubber I rode with some years back. I was behind her on one section of track, when she turned around and said: "You only ride behind me to check out my ass."

Without thinking, I replied: "Chick, if you were two kays up the road, I would still be able to check out your ass…"

If looks could kill, I'd be six foot under…

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed there are PLENTY of wheel suckers on the Bottelary road. Two of us once passed a whole bunch of junior and super league riders at the beginning of the Bottelary road and not one of them ever came to the front until the end of the Bottelary road to "sprint" to some sort of "victory" showing us he actually has the biggest balls. I actually don't mind wheel suckers though. Kinda makes me feel good that someone thinks I am strong enough to pull them through the wind :P

But at least say hello or something. You know, let us know you're there. It pisses me off when I am riding my ass off trying to improve my riding in the wind or something and as I sit up to take a breather, hear some ******** shout at me from behind because he almost road into my back wheel. How am I supposed to now you're there? Maybe these people keep their mouths shut because they know they are being morons.

EDIT: Having said that though, Earlier this year when I started getting back into cycling, I did plenty of wheel sucking, but I made sure it was ok with everyone in the bunch and I am very grateful for all their help.

Edited by Hayseed

I dont like anyone sitting on my wheel for no reason, if im out riding alone there is a reason for that, anyways I dont go fast enough, most people just pass me....or I slow down to let them go past,

Now I was pondering...was I right or was I wrong ;-)

So last Friday myself and 2 of my cycling buddies were heading back from our ride on Botlary Rd on our big wheel 4X4's. I sat up to wait for one of them when I noticed a roadie in a time trail position on his bike coming past my buddy at a leka speed. So I think well, maybe I'll just join him for a while :-) So I get behind him and we are doing just over 40kph- this pace we keep for about 1-2km. So suddenly the roadie sitsup and asks whether I want to paceline, to which I answered "no thank you I am just enjoying the ride" :-) He then chirps me, "but you are sitting in my slip are you not?" I burstout laughing and decided to let him go and wait for my buddies.

Thought you might be talking about me for a second - I passed a group of MTBers out near Butterfly World. There was an annoying head wind blowing that I'd been riding into for 1h30 when I look behind me to see one of the MTBers hooked onto my wheel feeling very chuffed with himself. I didn't say anything, but I wasn't amused that some dirty fat wheeled loafer was benefitting my efforts. The decision was to ignore him, as his mates were now distant specks behind us and he'd soon drop off, or to remind him of the natural order of all things cycling related. Despite having another 2h30 to go, I threw caution to the wind and pulled the Froome Washing Machine Spin Cycle maneuver and dropped him like he was Cavendish on Alpe d'Huez. I paid the price a few hours later, but it was worth it.

Few things irritate me more than someone just latching on. At least introduce/greet and tell/ask the guy/people that you will be joining for while and if its ok. I don't walk into a restaurant and join strangers at their table

Now I was pondering...was I right or was I wrong ;-)

So last Friday myself and 2 of my cycling buddies were heading back from our ride on Botlary Rd on our big wheel 4X4's. I sat up to wait for one of them when I noticed a roadie in a time trail position on his bike coming past my buddy at a leka speed. So I think well, maybe I'll just join him for a while :-) So I get behind him and we are doing just over 40kph- this pace we keep for about 1-2km. So suddenly the roadie sitsup and asks whether I want to paceline, to which I answered "no thank you I am just enjoying the ride" :-) He then chirps me, "but you are sitting in my slip are you not?" I burstout laughing and decided to let him go and wait for my buddies.

This would irritate the hell out of me. I am riding my a.. off ALONE at 40kph and some guy latches on just to show he can. Not cool.

Edit:spell

Edited by ADe

There is nothing worse than enjoying your ride and some bloke hooks into your slipstream, rides a few cm away from your wheel and doesn't have the courtsey to greet or anounce his presence.

If this guy was in the time trial position, there is a good chance he didn't notice you. What if he braked or swerved suddenly, not knowing you were behind him.

Few things irritate me more than someone just latching on. At least introduce/greet and tell/ask the guy/people that you will be joining for while and if its ok. I don't walk into a restaurant and join strangers at their table

Good one Jaco.

This is a great simile.

Its just polite to at least share some work, seeing as you're both enjoying the ride, and that's what its all about. :clap:

I don't care who sucks my wheel. If I'm in the wind I am training harder than the sucker.

All welcome to rest behind me if you think I'm fast enough.

A pace line only benefits the group as a whole and usually works best with riders who know one another.

Yeah agreed

The swissies are terrible like that...they will sit your wheel without saying a word, happened to me countless times. The other day 2 guys latched onto me for nearly 40'ks and they only came passed twice because they jumped traffic lights that I stopped at. When I caught up the first time I greeted them as I overtook them and they barely managed to nod their heads in response.

And yes the swiss (and other euros) will think nothing of sharing a table in a restaurant....but normally they will ask if the seat is taken...

Normally at this time of the year I end up in Simons Town having killed myself on a team ride having done 115-120km and am dropped by the team and then look for anyone that I possibly wheel suck back to Pinelands (40km). After 5 min of seeing if I can keep up and keep pace, I greet. Then once my legs are no longer on fire or my lungs are inside my body I take a few turns at the front to say thanks. I dont last long on the front as I am dead, but they appreciate the thought.

When the eventually turn off to go home :( I shout my gratitude and grit my teeth and carry on!

sometimes you just want to go for a ride (alone) with no stupid MTBer in your slip...

i would've pull the breaks on you.... wheelsuck your buddies mate!

Ai ai egos everywhere. So someone sits behind you in your slip.

Who cares?

Sure there is sometruth to the safety thing and the courtesy thing but you okes act like he's stealing your soul.

Ride your own pace and enjoy the ride - doesn't matter who "benefits" from it.

I don't care who sucks my wheel. If I'm in the wind I am training harder than the sucker.

All welcome to rest behind me if you think I'm fast enough.

A pace line only benefits the group as a whole and usually works best with riders who know one another.

My thoughts exactly, if its not a race I would not mind anybody sitting in my slip, I mean when you go out for a ride alone, surely you are prepared to ride alone, if somebody want to sit in your slip what difference does it make, its not a race, besides you are just getting stronger.

The was a certain former female Hubber I rode with some years back. I was behind her on one section of track, when she turned around and said: "You only ride behind me to check out my ass."

Without thinking, I replied: "Chick, if you were two kays up the road, I would still be able to check out your ass…"

If looks could kill, I'd be six foot under…

clarify - former female or former Hubber...? :whistling: