Oops I did it again, cracked frame. (and again)

Rouxenator

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i used to crack frames every 2 - 3 years... then I bought carbon  :ph34r:

I've only ever managed to crack a carbon frame...

• 3 weeks later...

Will this not void any warranty claim, or is that bad boy toast?

correct i speak under correction but silverback warranty would of meant a new frame(bike) all thats out the window now

correct i speak under correction but silverback warranty would of meant a new frame(bike) all thats out the window now

Not sure of the length of the silverback warranty or if bike was bought new

I bought it used in 2016, not sure who the previous owner was, but the factory warranty only applies to the original purchaser. 

This battle scar looks nice, let's see how well it lasts. Only cost me R430. 

I bought it used in 2016, not sure who the previous owner was, but the factory warranty only applies to the original purchaser. 

wrap some duct tape around the weld, guaranteed to drastically strengthen the work :P

any need to possibly heat treat the welded area afterwards?

Mind sharing the welders details? Even if it's in a pm.

I have a frame with a cracked seatpost that I want to take a chance on.

Mind sharing the welders details? Even if it's in a pm.

I have a frame with a cracked seatpost that I want to take a chance on.

was tempted to ask the same to bring my old Banshee back to life, but I am too poep scared

The one reason I am doing this is because everywhere on the internet you are told not to. So it is just all the more compelling for me to do it - and as with everything - see how far I can take it.

Initially my plan was to see how far I could ride with a broken frame, but that does not really gain anyone anything. Getting it welded and then seeing if you really can weld an aluminum frame and get good use out of it seems more fruitful. 

So I shall keep you all posted as to how this goes.

I googled for aluminum welding, found http://www.stainlesstech.co.za/ and emailed Willem to enquire if they can do a weld to fix the crack. After sending some pics I was delighted at the low price so I dropped it off on Monday and told them it is not high priority. They did the weld this morning and the bike rides again.