Cycling Clubs and Cyclists beware!!! The Hi jackers are here!

A.S.G. U Suck

Two questions:

How does one "hi jack" a race without the originial organizers agreeing?

How does an organizer agree to give the race to another organizer and then not stipulate sponsorship conditions for something so close to his heart?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two questions:

How does one "hi jack" a race without the originial organizers agreeing?

How does an organizer agree to give the race to another organizer and then not stipulate sponsorship conditions for something so close to his heart?

I think the previous thread about this went into great detail about what happened.Must be somewhere.

To answer your questions:

Cycling clubs in most cases are not registered businesses, as they start on a social level and registered at the regional control body as a club such Gauteng Cycling Association , not as a legal company. The club then starts an event, it is placed on the calender on the local Association, and if it is a National listed event on the National Calender at Cycling SA.

You could register legally the event and the club, but that's not how it starts and is very costly hence in most cases this is not done.

Once the club hosts the event the assumption is that the same date in the next year will be used by that club to host the event again, and so the yearly local, provincial and national calender is made up. Obviously National events take preference but there are rules to guide and govern this.

In Cycling CSA has the final say about dates allocated.

In case of the Jakaranda Satellite classic it has been hosted and run by the Jakaranda Cycling Club (then Telkom Cycling Club) since 2000. For 12 years the club members and management have organised and hosted the event.

1)At no point did Jakaranda Cycling Club sign or agree to "give or sell" our event or agree to the use of our name to any other party, person or company.

2) A club Exco Team would write to the local association advising them of it, and then CSA advising them.

Neither of the above happenend a corrupt official receiving "sponsorships" from the Hi jacking firm just did it....and theirin lies our problem.

Nevermind our club intelectual property and hard work for the past 13 years....hence our warning to other clubs.

I'm sure the original Baberton Cycling club could tell you what's about to happen to their event called the Jock, and then Edenvale Peddellers what happened to their race called Emperor Classic...

Thus the event was Hi Jacked!

Ag come on Daddy stop playing the emotional Childrens Home Card. The home gets enough sponsorships. In fact sometimes they get too much according to an inside source. Bringing in the Childrens Home as a sympathy card is emotional black mail. This is really bad style.

You were previously Telkom Club. There were many stories doing the rounds about wasting money and money going missing. Is the stories true.

You entered into an agreement with ASG. Please post a copy of the agreement here then we can all see what you have agreed too.

An ASG insider told me that you still get exactly what you agreed too with them for them hosting the race.

Is it true that your current management did not sign the deal with ASG and are unhappy with deal signed by your previous management. Apparently you now want more than initially agreed with ASG.

Why did you agree to this organsising company arranging your event. If I remember correctly the event was going downhill fast in relation to the number of entries and income. By the look of things ASG turned the event around.

Why do you not take the matter to court. Hopefully ASG will take it to court.

I can remeber when some of your members and previous management were part of the all mighty GNC, CSA clans and him they she really damaged cycling in Pretoria with their Cycle tour timing deals.

Maybe the wheel has turned on you. You have the same track record for bullying and hijacking.

Why do I want to support your boycott if it is your clubs favourate past time to boycott other clubs. You have such an wonderfull history in this department.

Viva ASG Viva.

After 13 years of use you have a solid case for trademark & intellectual property right to the name, (if not the route of the race itself! ) Sure there must be few legal eagles in your cycling club.

Excuse my ignorance but why does a race need to be endorsed by CSA?

To answer your questions:

Cycling clubs in most cases are not registered businesses, as they start on a social level and registered at the regional control body as a club such Gauteng Cycling Association , not as a legal company. The club then starts an event, it is placed on the calender on the local Association, and if it is a National listed event on the National Calender at Cycling SA.

You could register legally the event and the club, but that's not how it starts and is very costly hence in most cases this is not done.

Once the club hosts the event the assumption is that the same date in the next year will be used by that club to host the event again, and so the yearly local, provincial and national calender is made up. Obviously National events take preference but there are rules to guide and govern this.

In Cycling CSA has the final say about dates allocated.

In case of the Jakaranda Satellite classic it has been hosted and run by the Jakaranda Cycling Club (then Telkom Cycling Club) since 2000. For 12 years the club members and management have organised and hosted the event.

1)At no point did Jakaranda Cycling Club sign or agree to "give or sell" our event or agree to the use of our name to any other party, person or company.

2) A club Exco Team would write to the local association advising them of it, and then CSA advising them.

Neither of the above happenend a corrupt official receiving "sponsorships" from the Hi jacking firm just did it....and theirin lies our problem.

Nevermind our club intelectual property and hard work for the past 13 years....hence our warning to other clubs.

I'm sure the original Baberton Cycling club could tell you what's about to happen to their event called the Jock, and then Edenvale Peddellers what happened to their race called Emperor Classic...

Thus the event was Hi Jacked!

I still don't get then how they were able to "hi-jack" the event, sorry if I'm a bit slow this morning, but I'm just not understanding how this is actually possible? Please do enlighten myself and others and I'm sure I'm not the only one confused here. :wacko:

I still don't get then how they were able to "hi-jack" the event, sorry if I'm a bit slow this morning, but I'm just not understanding how this is actually possible? Please do enlighten myself and others and I'm sure I'm not the only one confused here. :wacko:

Agreed,I also did not understand the original thread either.But then I have always battled to understand jokes as well

I also remember the previous complaint.

Why was the previous thread removed? Or maybe the Y2K/no backups crash was a cover - conspiracy nut LMAO

Eagery awaiting ASG's response.

And, if the previous complaint thread was removed, it would be good for admin to explain why, or risk looking like a shill.

There's quite a lot of smoke around an ASG / CSA conspiracy.

So, methinks there must be some fire.

Would be nice to get some truth, but I suspect we won't.

As I understand it, you are saying ASG started a new event with your events name, date and route and market the event with a huge budget, thus your clubs event just vanishes into thin air ?

As I understand it, you are saying ASG started a new event with your events name, date and route and market the event with a huge budget, thus your clubs event just vanishes into thin air ?

No not true. There is an agreement that ASG will organise the race on behalf of pops' club in exchange for a fee per rider. The event is then marketed as an ASG event under the bigger ASG umbrella using all ASG systems and infrastructure. Obviously ASG makes a lot of money from the event and then pay the club the agreed fee. Quite simple. When the club was hosting the race it had much less entries.

I think the club was very desperate at the time of entering into the agreement.

Can the club not post the agreement here then we can all see what was agreed.