Fraud on the hub - beware guys!

silverbird

Then 90% of guys on the hub wouldn't sell anything. Just wait for the money to clear. Also make a point of getting the buyers/ sellers contact number and speak to them on the phone. You'll soon get an idea if it's a genuine sale or not.

He did not reply via hub. He only saw the adv I guess and phoned me. Seeing that my contact info is only visible to users, well...that's why I'm warning everyone. This is the most details I have guys.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He did not reply via hub. He only saw the adv I guess and phoned me. Seeing that my contact info is only visible to users, well...that's why I'm warning everyone. This is the most details I have guys.

Understood. Doesn't sound Like you lost anything. Glad about that. Disappointing that there's a dodgy few that ruin it for a bunch of otherwise honest traders. Edited by Ryanpmb

What I do is check seller/buyer feedback and posting activity on the HUB before dealing.

Then, when listing something for sale, I don't incl. the email or phone option... PM only... buyer has to contact you through the HUB.

If I'm not at ease I will suggest that we swop out copy of ID's and proof of address but even this can easily be faked.

Recently bought something here from a Hubber that's been registered for a while, no friends on his profile, no posts. Wasn't sure how real the add was. Asked him to deliver the goods for cash at a friend of mine in Centurion - all worked out good.

I generally trust Hubbers with feedback or other regular HUB activity.

Then 90% of guys on the hub wouldn't sell anything. Just wait for the money to clear. Also make a point of getting the buyers/ sellers contact number and speak to them on the phone. You'll soon get an idea if it's a genuine sale or not.

I understand that. Everyone to their own. I'm only giving my view. Seen some good ideas here, including yours to call in person, also like the idea of getting ID number etc.

Any contractor that sets foot on my property shows me his ID at the gate, and I take a pic of it. No ID, no deal.

I'm glad though this ended well.

I get that its a good idea for the seller but as a buyer I wouldn't want to give a copy of my ID just to buy something I've seen on the interweb, too risky imo

No he only phoned me. no reply on the hub. And I only advertised on the hub. So I don't know what his hub username is.

Oraait

i always ask for a copy of his id or passport

No guarantee, we currently have a world sought public enemy that obtained SA docs fraudulently.

There's no way you should be handing out your ID number to anyone, and if anyone demanded it to buy something from them then I'm sorry but that's not worth it.

Your ID number is valuable and it's all too easy for people to be giving it out to all and sundry. ID theft hasn't caught on here in SA quite as big as it is in the UK but it's coming.

+1

He doesnt have one. OP had his number listed on ad, so the oke called him on the telephone.

Edited by Cippo

Not sure if anyone else said this, cos I haven't read the whole thread, but this is a very old scam. Supposedly pay too much to someone. they refund the over payment, original payment bounces.

B.

Guest Latent Blue

Its easy just to send one of those "bank" sms from an unknown cell number and make them think its a real transaction...

I actually save the numbers of the bank smses as a contact... just helps out.

But one must always check your account!

Deposting a stolen chq and then pulling a move is an old trick here, it should say on the bank transaction if it was a Chq Dep. in which case you need at least 7 working days for it to clear.

Either way, you can confirm with the bank, and/or give a few days to clear for EFT.

EFT generally cant be reversed, unless it was made in error.

Just keep enough money in an acc for it to stay open..

I use this acc and as soon as money shows i withdraw it.

Cant get it back and all he could steal is the 150-200 bucks keeping it open. :thumbup: