94.7 number collection

steve61

since everybody is in such a possitive state of mind. what is race day like? traffic, parking, ect. Cause i already lost my temper with the race organiser who are completely useless and im considering skipping the race and rather enjoying the day with my girlfriend.

I avoid the parking mayhem, I park way up the road other side of the highway. Bit of a drag up that hill to Woodmead after the race, but rather that, than deal with claustrophobic parking.

Edited by kosmonooit

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a seriously negative experience! hated it. Organisers were not sufficiently organised. Understaffed. No trouble shooters. No staff to be seen outside the stalls helping people find the right queue (it was chaotic), but people were orderly and every one waited their turn but I think everyone was seriously miffed, would pity anyone who tried to push in.

Exhibition: waste of time. No Cannondale stand No decent coffee. Anyway by that time I was trying to get out of there ASAP. 3/4 day wasted (drove from Rosebank)

As for parking, almost had a punch up with guy trying to rip me R20 when I wasn't even parking in their freaking R20 zone! Then I parked at the shopping centre next door, and happily gave the informal sector car guard R5 when leaving.

If this was what is involved in doing this event, I might well give it a miss in future.

Use the money and effort to do Magoedbaskloof MTB next year, just before 94.7 and much more worthwhile !!!

Use the money and effort to do Magoedbaskloof MTB next year, just before 94.7 and much more worthwhile !!!

I had planned to do both actually, but wasn't able to get away on the 1st. 400 K's up the road is a bit of a mission you will agree.

One of the reasons I like this event is to enjoy car/truck/taxi/SUV- free roads. Another is to fly through red traffic lights. And also I enjoy seeing everyone out on their bikes, its a real celebration of cycling.

Nick, there is a Van Gaalens event coming up , I will be there weather permitting of course, not doing another mud fest there.

Hell - with all the talk of bottlenecks and now number collection, I just can`t wait for the whingeing about the `goodie bags` to start!

I had planned to do both actually, but wasn't able to get away on the 1st. 400 K's up the road is a bit of a mission you will agree.

One of the reasons I like this event is to enjoy car/truck/taxi/SUV- free roads. Another is to fly through red traffic lights. And also I enjoy seeing everyone out on their bikes, its a real celebration of cycling.

Nick, there is a Van Gaalens event coming up , I will be there weather permitting of course, not doing another mud fest there.

I am in the same boat, really wanted to get to Magoebaskloof but missed out - will be there next year.

Next big race is Dullstroom and then Sabie - MTN series next year.

Wow holy KR@P what a punch of Spoiled wingy winy princesses. Did your mommy tell you that you are special and that your time is that valuable.

Parking: You didn't have to park in the paid parking.(use a little common sense and you could have worked out that there must be other parking as it is a shopping centre) we paid for parking at Sandton last year and thats if you could find any. and those clever people that used the Gautrain you paid for that to as well as parking at the station where you left from.

Number collection: once again a little common sense goes a long way. You know its gonna be busy on the first day. especially from around lunch time and onwards. it simply a numbers game. 30 000 people and at least 20% are going to have some kind of inquiry or be collecting for more than one person.

Its going to take a while, just grow up and deal with it. if getting back to work is an issue collect on saturday.

It sad that people who are supposedly doing something for pleasure get so worked up and bitch and moan like a bunch of old ladies.

Maybe take your Heads out of your @rses long enough to use some common sense and alot of YOUR "issues" can be avoided.

Edited by jcmeyerSS

Why I bitched about parking is because I was not told about it, drove in to discover it was R20 which is a shed load of money for a few hours.

Why did I go on Thursday morning. A) because I have work to do in the afternoon. B) Because I've got a shoot on Frid. C) will be editing on Sat.

Why can't we just use our chip to get into the start pens.

Who needs this rubbish bag collection?

I enter a race... not all the s h i t that goes with it !!

Free parking literary around the corner.... I stay in northgate so i knew. But I found it a cheek for paid parking as well.

The goodie bags are actually just a waste of time. Only decent thing was the dove spray for men (which is small enough to fly with so suits me perfect) other than that they should call it a flyer bag!

Went this afternoon, 30 mins wait for number, not a hassle and to be expected considering the numbers, goodie bag much the same as previous years, so was not expecting much and therefore no need to get upset about it. Nice walk around the expo, bigger than last year I think...

Every year is pretty much the same, so am surprised people are expecting anything else and moaning about it when they should know what to expect !!

Simple solution, move the expo to Kyalami and while we at it move the whole race back there, plenty of free parking, easy access and to make it more spectator friendly and stamp the race as more challenging than the August make the finish a lap round Kyalami circuit.

Soo many posts/complaints?

I picked up my number and some of my friends at work for whom its very inconvenient to try and get their numbers at the dome. The queue was fairly quick, but I think someone misplaced a box with a couple of my friends numbers in it so I had to wait while the reprint.

What was rather frustrating is that you have to walk through all the stalls with hands full of race packs and people trying to stuff more stuff in your hands

WTF is Nasrec.....halfway to Bloem

We did the Star 100 starting and finishing there back in the dark ages and its the middle of nowhere

And now that same race starts and finishes in Brakpan - opposite ends of the (Jozi) world.

Dis ok om so lank in die rye te staan ek moes terug gaan werk toe so ek het letterlik by die stalletjies verby gehardloop en ek was nie al een so die uitstallers ly skade.Daar moet tog n beter manier wees.

R20 was ook n bietjie rof wat van R10. My R20 of is dit 2sent

If you have an event that over 19000+ people are collecting numbers over a 3 day period there are going to be Queues.

That is just such a K@K argument. There are many alternatives:

You can have registration that does not require a number if you have a valid timing chip; or

You can have a more efficient process that does not take just on 5 minutes to hand over a number; or

You can employ more people to hand out numbers.

It took me longer to collect my number - travel from JHB northern Suburbs, parking, queueing, than the race will take me on Sunday. That is totally unacceptable.

Simple solution, move the expo to Kyalami and while we at it move the whole race back there, plenty of free parking, easy access and to make it more spectator friendly and stamp the race as more challenging than the August make the finish a lap round Kyalami circuit.

And increase race cost by about 200% to cover the cost of kyalami? No thanks.