Monthly cycling spend  

146 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you burn through?

• <R500
    • R500 - R1500
    • R1500 - R3500
    • R3500 - R5000
    • >R5000

I try my utmost to save a good percentage of my income. Somehow the cycling always manages to dig through what's left over for the month and into the flexi savings account... Bad bad bad.

But I can say that I have never been happier.

I drive an old car and have been for years, wear my clothes for as long as they will possibly last and a bit longer, don't eat out unless its a special occasion, and just visit LBS's and buy bike stuff and cycling gear instead.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, this past year or cycling season, nothing at all. Not even an Argus entry. Well, a coffee and a cupcake about 9 months ago. Mainly riding SS has certainly helped.

If I include the purchase of my bike and the years I've been riding it's close to 500 a month over 3 years. After the purchase of my bike it's less than 3000 a year. Annual pass at tokai. Chain. 2 tires. Stans. Cassette. Chainring.

I spend 5000 or more a month on average... Easily.

If I race 3 weekends a month, petrol, food, accom... Then there are your big races like Freedom (20 000), W2W, Tankwa, GR300, expedition Africa........ All these add up for a nice annual total.

I also on average build a new bike every few months so that takes its toll as well.

As a non married, childless human I can honestly say I dont care. I dont spend money on Booze, smokes, drugs, partying... I have no commitment other than to myself and joy is the new Steel frame arriving tomorrow and the wheelset I just built.... The 650b I rode at Atta where nothing matches and the joy I get from the old school Pinarello Galileo I am finishing in between typing....

Yes its expensive and yes I am probably in excess. But I would rather be building bikes, riding bikes and playing than spend money at a dicsco or on my hair and nails and fancy restaurant food.

So I'm probably at the extreme end of the spectrum but funnily enough I dont own anything SUPER fancy. My SIR9 SS is probably the flashest bike in my stable.....

You pretty much explained me there, accept for the Freedom, I have a few beers and the SIR9 SS as your "flashest bike" (mine is my Intense).

I (and another hubber) was called "bike whores" yesterday (luckily by a friend), but if that's all I have can I really be judged by the amount I spent on it?

Just maintenance and insurance.

Argus entry was given by a corporate otherwise I would not have entered.

I cycle to work when I can on my old alpina so end up saving money.

(But I am always itching to buy something).

Edited by Let's Ride

I also dont have a wife and kids, I think that makes a big difference in the amount of races I am able to do. Also I can spend much more on cycling than my friends who have kids. Love the feeling of a new part on the bike, no matter how small it is.

:eek:

I can comfortably say I spend close to R0/month. And I ride two hours a day mon-fri, and at least 8 hours on a weekend.

Your wife is obviously also on the Hub as spending R0 is just not possible. Please tell us how as I spend much more than I can afford.

Your wife is obviously also on the Hub as spending R0 is just not possible. Please tell us how as I spend much more than I can afford.

Just maintenance and insurance.

And I can't tell you when last I bought something even as minor as a tube. (I did just make an offer on a frame in the classifieds though, and that would be my first real purchase in more than five years. I mean, I patch my tubes, and ride the tyres till the canvas shows...)

Now, if the thread had of been about motorbikes, well, that's a different story. What I save in petrol and time gets eaten buy tyres and services...

Edited by Cellar

Last year was a bad year for spending as I bought 3 new bikes. Anthem, tcr composite and on-one inbred. Then new helmet, some kit, bike carrier races, travel and accomodation. So if I exclude the cost of the bikes and carrier probably 30kish. That said I also spent about 12k on golf without actually buying new equipment and only got about 10 games in...

Edit. That was from October 2012 til now. So year and a half.

Edited by madbradd

More than i can afford...

Sometimes i look at the stuff and wonder where i actually got the money.. :ph34r:

When im broke, my mom usually understands if i need entry fee for a race or some loose change for a morning brekkie ride (takes alotta empty promises from my side though) :blush:

Edited by FootballingCyclist

Hi

Yes this does seem to bea bottomless pit, in the last year I spent 90k on a new rd bike Scott 10 foil with sram red and pyga 110 with xt, this excludes any races and the odd upgrade on saddles tires etc, in my mind I believe I have the ultimate tools to keep me going for the next few years therefore the 90k over 4 years is a lot more acceptable. The concern though the year before I bought a cervelo s3 and giant anthem x1 29 and at that point I too thought I had it all i needed and would never spend another cent on equipment for the next few years, but I was clearly wrong.

I recently read a thread by feetup titled Can you finally say your bike is 100% correct... and I realized something...

I envy that guy... not for his Specialized dual suss (he can keep that), but because he has found a way to be content with his bike.

No matter how much I spend on upgrade parts... there's always that 'one more' that would just make the bike that much better.

Unfortunately I am weak and ever chasing that 'one more part' :blush: :ph34r:

Edited by patches

If you work out for a commuter on the savings in petrol per month, spending on my cycling is well worh it, in time and money.

And lets not forget the benifits as well. Health wise and feeling great when I get to work.