Cycle Science in Broadacres Sells Fake Pinarello

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fong kong bike was sold for 90k.

A legit bike was bought in Aus for 80k.

The dude from ASG, reckons that it would sell here for 150k.

Its not just Cycle Science that are ripping people off, its ASG as well. Yes I understand that people are entitled to make money and earn a living and blah. But the bike shop in Aus is also making money and earning a living and blah.

But to have to pay double the amount in SA - is just disgusting.

To the judgemental idiot guy, a couple of pages earlier, who said that he wouldn't have spent 90k with a guy wearing baggies and a t-shirt, yeah because well dressed people never rip people off, or sell fong kongs //sarcasm off//

80k was for a frame, wheels and bars.

Groupo was swapped over

Maybe this has been asked or mentioned in all these pages, but just a question, don't crucify me please:

Let's say you do end up buying a "grey" product, in today's day and age it is very possible that one can get the frame from the same factory, but without a serial number. So, if you bought a 91k bike with a grey/fake frame, it is quite possible that you can end up paying the price, based on the components you have on the bike, ie, fake frame 20k, plus top of the rage components.

Would that change the argument if the buyer were told that he or she is buying a grey import?

Maybe this has been asked or mentioned in all these pages, but just a question, don't crucify me please:

Let's say you do end up buying a "grey" product, in today's day and age it is very possible that one can get the frame from the same factory, but without a serial number. So, if you bought a 91k bike with a grey/fake frame, it is quite possible that you can end up paying the price, based on the components you have on the bike, ie, fake frame 20k, plus top of the rage components.

Would that change the argument if the buyer were told that he or she is buying a grey import?

You will be crucified....

Maybe this has been asked or mentioned in all these pages, but just a question, don't crucify me please: Let's say you do end up buying a "grey" product, in today's day and age it is very possible that one can get the frame from the same factory, but without a serial number. So, if you bought a 91k bike with a grey/fake frame, it is quite possible that you can end up paying the price, based on the components you have on the bike, ie, fake frame 20k, plus top of the rage components. Would that change the argument if the buyer were told that he or she is buying a grey import?

Yip, then he would have been happy that he had the real deal...

Then the war would start between the import agent, and the bike shop, on a lot of issues, least of which is support for the existing "grey" customers...

Johnny Cash said it best, " because you're mine, I walk the line"

The crooks should have spared a thought for their nearest and dearest and how they would be affected, BEFORE they chose their path.

Rational people bring the potential fallout of their actions into their cost-benefit calculations when they concider their path. The impact on their families should have kept them on the straight and narrow. That fact that it didn't is something that they all will need to live with.

Having said that, I do feel for their children. Not because these guys got caught, but because they were raised by people who, knowing the difference between right and wrong, decided to say "F@ck it" to honest living.

Brilliant post that sums up what i was thinking this morning. They are sitting in their shop looking at what could have been. Sad guys, really sad.

Greed overcame ethics. The rest is a slippery slope.

All of us can point at situations where we did similar, possibly not with as large consequences.

Let's say you do end up buying a "grey" product, in today's day and age it is very possible that one can get the frame from the same factory, but without a serial number.

100% not true! Have a look at the wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market

"Grey market goods refer to "legal goods" which are sold outside normal distribution channels by companies which may have no relationship with the producer of the goods. Frequently this form of parallel import occurs when the price of an item is significantly higher in one country than another."

not sure if its been asked, but do you think Cycle Science bought the Campy groupset from ASG? If they did and then fitted it on a fake Pina, that's a real slap in the face.....

:offtopic: Flame suit on..... so a pretty good fake carbon knock off frame from china cost about 9k (U$800). Is a genuine 50k (or whatever) frame that much better quality or are bike manufacturers ripping the ring out it? Most of them are made in the far east anyway. (eg: Cannodale Scalpel is "made in china") Just asking

and by the way : it's never toooooo late !

I don't agree,i think that if this was settled properly it would never of gone this far or taken this route.

I've read your comments, but I'm a bit unclear on what you are actually saying. Is your opinion that they should've reimbursed the clients and in effect (1) brushed everything under the carpet and act like nothing happened (nevermind that they committed a criminal offense) or (2) "start from scratch" and be honest from now on (nevermind that they committed a criminal offense)?

There is no problem with grey imports. They are legal and they are the real thing. What they don't have is the support of the local agent. If you buy one and it is disclosed to you, it is all above board.

Fake stuff is illegal. Period.

Btw You will not find a real Pinarello without a serial no. Don't let the scamsters talk you into believing that you can get the real thing, made in the same factory, slightly scratched etc. for a bargain price. It will be a fake.

100% not true! Have a look at the wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market

"Grey market goods refer to "legal goods" which are sold outside normal distribution channels by companies which may have no relationship with the producer of the goods. Frequently this form of parallel import occurs when the price of an item is significantly higher in one country than another."

Its like me asking a buddy coming from the States to bring me a few iphones with, Its sidestepping the usual distribution channels because I want my product cheaper. Its the genuine article though.

:offtopic: Flame suit on..... so a pretty good fake carbon knock off frame from china cost about 9k (U$800). Is a genuine 50k (or whatever) frame that much better quality or are bike manufacturers ripping the ring out it? Most of them are made in the far east anyway. (eg: Cannodale Scalpel is "made in china") Just asking

Not really the point. Check out the chinese carbon thread.

I've read your comments, but I'm a bit unclear on what you are actually saying. Is your opinion that they should've reimbursed the clients and in effect (1) brushed everything under the carpet and act like nothing happened (nevermind that they committed a criminal offense) or (2) "start from scratch" and be honest from now on (nevermind that they committed a criminal offense)?

there starting point should of been to assist the client (AA) by refunding him.

I am not suggesting that they should of : (1) brushed everything under the carpet and act like nothing happened (nevermind that they committed a criminal offense) or (2) "start from scratch" and be honest from now on (nevermind that they committed a criminal offense)?

but in sorting out AA they would of been in better position to then approach the other clients who they sold fakes to.

I still think they should own up and refund the clients - its never tooooo late for this.